Digital camera for $600-700

Jaz

Likes Dirt
Like I said chewy, if you want I can pm you the email address of the person I bought mine off...All it takes is a bank transfer, $600 (odd) and 4 or 5 working days...

*kicks the salesman in the head and shoves him back in the box*

sorry about that, awesome camera though :)

Zooke

Likes Bikes
OK, gonna quickly hijack this thread. But does anyone know if I would be better off buying a Digi camera here in Aus or when I get to England?? I will be leaving for London mid June. I will be traveling around England, Europe and Canada for around 3 years. I'm thinking of cost and quality.

Jaz

Likes Dirt
duty free will save you a heap, but you aren't doing the usual stopover in singapore on the way over? You could probably get one cheap there...and a word of warning, don't try and buy anything like that in england, it's really freakin expensive!

nhd

Likes Dirt
on the contrary, when i was in england in 2000, minidisc's the new hype. i got mine for $150 cheaper in just any normal shop, not even duty free.

singapore: dont expect to find bargains unless you actually leave the airport, and do some online scouting/ or ask around for the hotspots before you leave here.

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
I reckon you could not go too far wrong if you just went out and bought the Canon powershot A80. Remember you'll need to get a memory card (at least 128Mb) and a fast charger, some batteries and a case. All this will be an additional $150 or so. The Digitor chargers and batteries (from Dick Smith etc) rock, in my well considered opinion.

However a good review site is thisaone:

http://www.dcresource.com

I've got a Canon A70 and its pretty good for my needs. I like it because its got a lot of features that you'd ordinarily only find on a more expensive camera, like fully manual modes - its really good for experimenting. The A60/70/80 also take good old AA batteries instead of some wierd battery like most cameras. A set of 2000 mAh NiMH AAs will last for a week of heavy usage. I only have to recharge my camera about once a fortnight or month! They also take the cheapest and most plentiful memory card - Compact Flash. Oh yeah it takes decent photos too, well decent enough for me anyway.

The things i dont like about it are that it only does 30secs of video (i think its like 3mins for the A80) and the flash is too bright in a lot of conditions. Also I don't like the plastic threaded tripod mount. (Why do they put plastic threads on things!? Why WHY?)

A friend has got the A80 and I reckon its heaps better still - I had a good play with it and i wish i had one instead of the 70. The flippy out screen thingy is way cool. And it cleverly auto rotates photos (manually rotating gets very boring if you take a lot) It has a cool little graph showing the colour balance of each photo -good for experimenting again.

I did loads of research before getting mine. I went in unbiased and came out thinking the Canons were clearly a lot better than most, and that the cameras from a proper camera company were better than ones from a general consumer electronics company- i.e. SONY. My other concusion is theat there's is always a trade of between size and thing such as lens quality. So your IXUSes and Optios may look cool and be convenient but you will get much more camera for your buck if you go to the next size category, i.e A80.

I'd better stop now. Cameras are a pet topic.

Roastin

Likes Bikes
for pretty acurate prices of computer related stuff including phones cameras and almost anything electronic in singapore......try this webby
www.hardwarezone.com.sg
if what you want isn't listed the forums there are pretty helpful as well........

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Thanks heaps everyone, its much appreciated.
Looks like the Canon IXUS 430, A80 and S50 are maybes..
Has anyone used a RICOH RX before or had any experiance with them? They're supposed to have the fastest shutter reaction time at .09, I think..

protecon

Likes Dirt
Seriously Chewy - before you make your final judgement, you should check out the forums at OCAU and dpreview - nothing like world wide consumerism to shake out loose bolts.

Oh and for everything handheld, I suggest you go to a shop and physically pick the things up.

neko

Likes Dirt
Fuji FinePix S5000
3.2mp with a ccd lense that will give you a 6.0mp shot.
10x optical
2.2x digital

It's a robust little nugget as well.

For $700 I got a 128mb memory card, good case, good batery charger and a set of NiMh batteries.