digital still camera....which one?

Roastin

Likes Bikes
Hi all i'm in the market for a digital camera and have narrowed my choices down to these 2.......

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10
Canon Powershot S1 IS

now i know canon is one of the leaders when it comes to camera and optics, and their range of accesories are wider, but the S1 IS doesn't accept many accesories, not even a external flash. It does accept a add on wide angle or telephoto lens though.

The panasonic on the other hand isn't the first name you think of when you think of cameras, but it carries a massive leica lens . Leica is, in my opinion, the camera god. Carries a horseshoe mount for external flashes, and has a higher mpix count.

I've done my research and these 2 cameras perform pretty well. Been to the shops to have a feel of them and the Panasonic feels sturdier and more balanced than the Canon. And the lack of a focus ring and small LCD on the Canon makes manual focusing a pain.......Everything i've seen and felt points me towards the Panasonic, but the is still playing at the back of my mind simply because its a Canon........so i've turned to the opinion of others, namely the online community to help me in my decision........

Help......

withwings

Likes Bikes
i'd go for the panasonic, simply because of the Leica lens, and the external flash horseshoe mount, if your gonna be using it at night too then i'd suggest the panasonic. cheers.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Panasonic FZ-10. I have one, i LOVE it. 12x Optical Zoom, 3x Digital, 4mp (i only use 2mp max), it has a lot of manual features. Bloody awesome.

Only problem with it is action shots in darker areas because the lense is so big, it needs soo much light and you need to run a high shutter speed making the pics dark. But meh. I would post one of my beautiful pictures but CBF. :) Lieca is the shiznit.

Also i hate to tell you but megapixels is a marketing ploy, they do shit for you. With 2mp you can get a larger than the screensize pic with great quality and it will only be 800kb or so. That means less room taken up on the camera. i run mine so low and havent had a problem. You will run your mp low because you want to save space, but then your pic will turn out to be a good photo that you want to print at billboard size and you'll go shit and smack yourself on the head. :roll: Its true. Dont get sucked into mp, waste of time. :)

If you have anymore questions at all, or you want me to send you some of my great shots over email, pm me. p.s Since December ive taken over 10000 photos. Buoya.

nhd

Likes Dirt
eeeerr if it has a bigger lense, that would allow more light through.....
anyway its all about the aperature 8)
i like canon's. panasonic arnt really a camera company.
ive been told sony make some damn good consumer lenses on their cameras too~

_J_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I gots a Sony Cyber Shot, nice and easy to use. Movie mode with sound.
Its a DSC P32 with 3.2 Mega Pixel, 5x zoomage!