Direct mount stems

jamie

Likes Dirt
Hi thinking of going a direct mount stem on a set of 2010 fox 40’s. Just wondering if anyone has any problems with headset movement or working loose with these stems. It looks like you preload the steering with the top cap and star nut etc. but relying on the 1 pinch bolt on the upper crown to hold it all tight, compared to the 2 additional bolts on a non direct mount stem, thoughts and feedback!!

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Direct mount stems are great!
I run a funn direct mount on my 888's and i have never had it come loose or move on me, the one pinch bolt does the job very well, if your worried about the bolts coming loose just loc-tite them in or check them before every ride.
Reece.

henryg

Likes Dirt
I used to run DM on boxxers and never had any problems with it slipping. I had the same concern initially, but as I said, no issues.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi thinking of going a direct mount stem on a set of 2010 fox 40’s. Just wondering if anyone has any problems with headset movement or working loose with these stems. It looks like you preload the steering with the top cap and star nut etc. but relying on the 1 pinch bolt on the upper crown to hold it all tight, compared to the 2 additional bolts on a non direct mount stem, thoughts and feedback!!
There is no issue with this, remember the upper crown of your fork is also holding the forks on, the star nut is just for pre-loading the headset as you mentioned, once pre-loaded you do up all the pinch bolts (3) on your upper crown and you're good to go.

jamie

Likes Dirt
There is no issue with this, remember the upper crown of your fork is also holding the forks on, the star nut is just for pre-loading the headset as you mentioned, once pre-loaded you do up all the pinch bolts (3) on your upper crown and you're good to go.
Thanks for the feedback above, also:
The 3 bolts on the upper crown, are they 1 on the centre steerer and 1 on each folk leg??

dhDRucer

Likes Dirt
sunline v1 stems have 4 bolts holding it onto the top crown. I dont no what direct stem your thinging of.But the 4 bolts are fine