Direction for Plenty Gorge

jakc

Likes Bikes
Been looking at posts on roturburn and also this post on mtbr, and looks like Plenty Gorge has a lot of fun stuff going on.

Where is the best place to park?

Really want to find this track thats hopefully still there:
[video=youtube;3t9mNTKnu-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3t9mNTKnu-s[/video]

sedifus

Likes Dirt
You shouldn't park anywhere.
None of it is legal and the rangers are quite happy to tear it all apart if it becomes a problem. Thanks.

It's easy enough to find yourself. Maybe if you find a place on a map with a similar name you could explore and find it yourself?

jakc

Likes Bikes
ah ok. did not realise it had come to that.

any specifics - is it trail building thats out, or riding?
feel free to pm me.

Beej1

There are plenty of XC trails to ride in the Plenty Gorge area. None of it is built by MTB clubs, or ParksVic or other official interests, hence the aforementioned 'not legal' label. But it's more a lack of officialdom than illegality - bicycle riding is permitted in the park, so you're not doing anything wrong if you're riding in there.

There are two section of trails. One referred to as southside, which starts out from the end of Kariboo Gv, and the other unsurprisingly known as northside which can be accessed by crossing the Plenty River at a particular point on the southside loop, or from various park entry points off streets who's names escape me at the moment.

Regardless, it's too hard to describe the trail network here - your best bet is looking in the Melbourne Social Rides thread here or a similar one on MTBR (in the Aus/NZ section) for a scheduled ride out there and just tag along.

In the past, various groups of youngsters have built some sizeable free-ride-esque jumps/ramps etc in the area. They were so poorly built I would hesitate to stand on them let alone actually riding on them, and often incorporate cutting down trees or nailing into growing timber. These sorts of constructions are what will draw the ire of ParksVic (and is most definitely illegal), and likely make it difficult for the rest of us to ride out there. The smaller stuff in the video above (it's in the southside section) is also pretty dodgy in places, but thankfully mostly constructed from just dead/fallen wood and fun nonetheless. Be sure to suss out the landing area of the jumps before you hit them ... but you probably already know that.

P.S. if you do drive there, avoid parking in Kariboo Gv. I've seen shattered glass there on several occasions.

Beej1

Yep, those maps indicate the trail runners are most definitely using parts of the rider built singletrack on both north and southsides. They also seem to use some of the labeled walking trails in the park, and by the looks of it the northside's 'cliff track' which is always a lively addition to any riding done out there. You used to be able to ride it the whole way a few years back. Not anymore thanks to erosion.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2