Dirt Works NSW 100K 2010

rangie

Likes Dirt
The lighting at the cattle grid was sh!thouse too. Meh.
:) this was the problem all along, nothing to do with composition, imagination, not being able to get to good vantage points, [insert any other suitable excuse here]....

'twas the lighting :-(

if these guys were serious, they would just open the site and let folks download pics that they want for free...

i was not there so does not 'benefit' me :)

seriously, how difficult is it to get on a bike and get out there with a backpack. Yes, the equipment can be heavy, expensive etc but surely if you set our mind to it, there can be a way.

this aint shooting fish in a barrel, though some companies seem to think so.

organisers should quiz companies and ensure they have a basic understanding of riding and should at a minimum ensure appropriate locations are part of whatever contract. maybe thats just me.

organisers would also have some responsibility in this fiasco :-(

bitumen

Squid
pix

Must say, i wouldnt call myself supersport images if that's my ability.

In case anyone missed this link, here's an email to tell supersport images your words. Keep it nice.
daniel@supersportimages.com

From my perspective, it was my first dirtworks, first 100km race and only the second time i ever rode that distance-mtb. I've never ridden or raced anything that difficult and worked hard to get to that level in my half year of mountain biking.
I really looked forward to the photos coming out and as a photographer myself, I really wanted to take some pics along the way as the course was full of potential. Of course, I had other things to do.

How much of my entry fee went to these photographers? I think they should open up the site for the taking.Even the part where you want to zoom on the website to see if the pic is worth buying is no less than stingey.

Riding the bridge sucessfully was one of many highlights and as I saw a male and a female taking pics I took the time to look at them and give a great big grin. The outcome of the pics however told a different story. Big disappointment there. I mean, how hard is it? I was on a line that varied little and the photographer/s had no excuse for bad shots there.
So as I've not been on the mtb for that long, I dont have any pix yet and I can't see me buying any this time.

PS. I won first place in my category and I also would like to know, where are the presentation pics? ?

bitumen

Squid
photos

just an update from my previous post above. Daniel from SSI has told me in a style quite unlike what I am about to say, that none of my entry money from Dirtworks went towards paying photographers to be on the course.

Mal01

Likes Dirt
So as I've not been on the mtb for that long, I dont have any pix yet and I can't see me buying any this time.
Well then, make sure you enter the Scott. Sportograf's photos are the best out there. Definitely glad they make the trip from Germany.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
just an update from my previous post above. Daniel from SSI has told me in a style quite unlike what I am about to say, that none of my entry money from Dirtworks went towards paying photographers to be on the course.
If anything I would assume its the opposite - photographers paying (somehow) for the right to cover an event - after all they get 2000 odd punters who may potentially buy those shots. Exclusive rights to stuff like the scott etc would be expensive one imagines...

chops007

Likes Dirt
geez have a whinge ppl

if these guys taking photos do add to the cost to an event it be good to see the dif off race fee, so if u dont pay for it you cant whinge about...

would u want the job of standing in the water taking pics of th bridge all day...
these guys are photographers not athletes no need to ask them to ride to middle of now where only to be bagged out by the forums...

i got heaps of photos at the finish FOR FREE!!!!!!!!! oh yea the was just my pit bunny taking them..
same idea would work as well if i made the poduim..

for all the unhappy ppl maybe next year u can go take photos for us people who wanna race and care about enjoying the ride and the time on the finish clock..

just chops

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pics

It's all been said pic wise, aside from that they are pretty pricey for my way of thinking and budget. Got heaps more at the Higland fling last year, including some sequences of a few shots. I didn't buy them either - too pricey, or am I too tight?

A suggestion to all photo companies maybe offer a cheap low-res electronic package. I can't see myself printing any out more than standard pic size, but would love to have them on the PC slide show, or for wallpaper, digital frame etc. Resolution at 1024x768 or thereabouts would be ample, even to display on high def TV.

Anyone else agree?

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
It's all been said pic wise, aside from that they are pretty pricey for my way of thinking and budget. Got heaps more at the Higland fling last year, including some sequences of a few shots. I didn't buy them either - too pricey, or am I too tight?

A suggestion to all photo companies maybe offer a cheap low-res electronic package. I can't see myself printing any out more than standard pic size, but would love to have them on the PC slide show, or for wallpaper, digital frame etc. Resolution at 1024x768 or thereabouts would be ample, even to display on high def TV.

Anyone else agree?
It's just not going to save you any cash though... my cam shoots at about 8MP or so (its a bit old :) ) to convert things into a format friendly for posting say on my blog it requires me to do 'work' to the image. Assuming that pricing has something to do with the amount of work required to get it to you then best option is to provide 'raw' images (no post processing etc).

I'm generally a bit of a pic buyer and get shots just to have some record of the event - generally I find that the point-point pics aren't as good as enduro shots... on an enduro you go round a lot so there's more chance that you'll get one that you like... marathons maybe have 3-4 photographers on course and have to find a position that will make for interesting shots and then you have to be interesting as well!

e.g photographer at one of the waterbars coming down Jack's Track at last year's dirtworks... would have been a spectacular air shot... but I was tired and was concentrating on finishing in one piece rather that being a hero... hence boring shot. Or the one of me walking across the bridge (*yawn*). If it was a similar one in an enduro I would probably have made an effort on at least one of the laps :)