Dirtworks 100 track & weather conditions

Marx

Likes Dirt
I've ridden some of Wombat & surrounds yesterday (Thursday 04/11) & I support what Fergo said earlier.
I'm running Maxxis Ignitors front/rear. There will be tricky damp bits & some dips are totally full of muddy water, so the B line will be way off to the left/right.

Enjoy!

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
See bellow for local weather forecast.

SATURDAY 13/11/10: Areas of early mist or low cloud then becoming fine with sunny breaks, southerly winds fresh about the ridges, MIN TEMPS 3 to 5°C MAX TEMPS 16 to 18°C

SUNDAY 14/11/10: Early mist then a fine day with light winds tending northerly later. MIN TEMPS 2 to 4°C MAX TEMPS 18 to 21°C

So things are looking good. Should a pretty dry track by race start on Sunday other than the bog holes which there is by pass tracks around most if not all. Tyre choice for me would be Racing Ralph f & r.

Most of the coarse is marked and ready to go and the camping paddock should be dry as well by Saturday arvo but please try not to rip the crap out of it.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So - what's the washup from today? Haven't heard any race or track reports, but did hear the dreaded words 'hail storm'.

Anyone got a tale to tell?

bunchie34

Likes Dirt
So - what's the washup from today? Haven't heard any race or track reports, but did hear the dreaded words 'hail storm'.

Anyone got a tale to tell?
did the 50km. lot of fire road, probably to avoid the worst of the mud. worked very well, singletrack in excellent condition, only the odd sloppy bit. bright sunshine, bit windy, nice and warm, awesome day out.

congrats all round to the organisers. awesome venue and course considering the recent rains!

oetkb

Likes Bikes
I marshalled way down the bottom of the track today and I was so impressed with the riders. Some of the crew were in struggle town but still had a massive smile on their faces, made me wish I was out there. Congratulations to all the girls and guys that finished today and a big "up" for the crew that rode through that hail storm and still finished with a smile.

Mark S

Likes Dirt
Well, the 50km was actually 56km, which is understandable due to the number of diversions in place. However, we could have been told.

The surroundings are magnificent (Cammeray Waters) but we were a bit underwhelmed by the registration process. We asked about our "race packs" but the volunteers just shrugged, not even a smile or an "I'll find out". We didn't think that the race had any sort of "feel" until this morning when the announcer brought everything to life.

The finish was good too with a real buzz around.

Enjoyed the race itself (superbly signed) but it didn't quite have that extra something to bring us back next year.

Regards, Mark.

Last edited:

Stons

Likes Dirt
I know there wasn't a 'showbag' at registration but how many of them these days have anything of interest in there anyway. There was some samples of frameskin that I took advantage of. To me the big positives of the race were the course - great job after the weather we have had recently, the course marking and the awesome feed stations. The 82km one was like a mirage coming over that hill...

Some of the 100km riders did get caught in that crazy hailstorm. That was intense!

I did the 100km (my first ever 100km) and my garmin measured in at 108.3km. I think a lot of people had around the same distance, plus or minus a few kms.

Great event... Will I be back next year, maybe... I need to have a very cold bath first!

peej

Squid
Well, the 50km was actually 56km, which is understandable due to the number of diversions in place. However, we could have been told.

We asked about our "race packs"....
I agree with this too, I'm not too fussed about the race pack but it would have been nice to know about the 56km bit as I know a few people were pushing themselves for that last 1 or 2k's that became 7 or 8 k's

I must say fantastic single track in that area I'd love to go back there another day & find them as they very good. I even enjoyed having to pick the lines around the bog holes which made for a few sketchy moments.

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Cannot comment on the course as I did not ride; although the distances being 'out' were concerning for the riders with us as they misjudged the water they needed to get to first feedstation.

As far as the hail - I really hope everyone is ok - we sheltered in our (now damaged) car and this is the hail we dodged.. The bikes appear to be ok. Camper cover is trashed.

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
My Cateye wireless measured 119 km! Most of the people around me measured around 115-116 km. Regardless, it was great fun despite a few mechanicals and I'll be back next year. I was in my car when the hailstorm hit, and it did cause a little damage. I felf for those people still out there on the track.

I agree with this too, I'm not too fussed about the race pack but it would have been nice to know about the 56km bit as I know a few people were pushing themselves for that last 1 or 2k's that became 7 or 8 k's

I must say fantastic single track in that area I'd love to go back there another day & find them as they very good. I even enjoyed having to pick the lines around the bog holes which made for a few sketchy moments.

;) Pushed a bit from about 42km onwards (on my Garmin). At 51km a small "Mama" escaped my lips:p

Realmaf

Likes Bikes
I entered the 100 km and pulled out at the second feed station (62 odd kms):confused:.
I was contemplating weather or not I should continue but I've never cramped like I cramped today nor do I rarely use my small front chain ring! I live in the Dandenong Ranges and can ride overly steep dirt roads free of charge any day of the week.
By the time I got to any decent single track I was too spent to enjoy it. :eek:

My wife and I rolled into Cammary Waters at about 8.30pm Sat. night. We did not see one MTB event sign? It's only that I've ridden in the area before that i had a rough clue where to go. No camping direction from event staff = no camping fee.

Cheers to all the event staff especially the guy out on course with the "rattle-can", you made me laugh.

Was this race value for money? Questionable, I'd say not
Will I be back next year? Not a chance

jjdevious

Squid
Did the 50, was a great day. Well done to the organisers and Wombat Club - the work they'd put in to keep the trails in shape was clearly evident, a commendable effort.

A couple of points:

Registration - Yes, was a bit lack lustre. I seem to recall reading that there was going to be "race pack" for each rider. No big deal, but why promise then not deliver? I do actually like to get a little show bag with couple of gels, mag, powerlink, whatever. Also the guys behind the desk didn't seem very helpful, I tried to check on when rider briefing was etc and just got a shrug of the shoulders.

58/56km - My mate and I both clocked exactly 58km, would definitely have been nice to know there was few extra km tacked on!. I pushed hard for (what I thought were) the last 5 - 6kms and ended up doing the following 8 very hard. Probably a mistake to assume speedo is true indication of race distance, but extra 6 or 8 caught me off guard. There really should have been at least a "10km remaining sign" at least. I think all the other races I competed in have had this, or even more distance markers. I find them very useful to gauge how hard to go towards the end.

Not huge issues, but worth mentioning I think. Overall was a very enjoyable day, great trails, well done all involved!

fergo

Likes Dirt

Thanks to everyone for their comments on the track. The Wombat Club spent hundreds of hours trying to dry it out and redivert you from the worst of the mud. Tonight we too will sleep soundly.

Just a note, I rode last years track and it was 55km. It appears this years was also near that. No surprise really.

Mark S

Likes Dirt
I've been trying to put it into words but it just didn't feel like an event until Sunday morning. The guy directing the traffic on the way in on Saturday afternoon was a character, but the next vollie, a young girl, should not have bothered. You may be volunteering but you need to want to be there.

I forgot to mention that the portaloos ran out of toilet paper Sunday morning which is fairly inconvenient.

To repeat, great race not a great event.