Dirtworks 2010 - trail conditions

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
has anyone done a reccy of the fire trails of late?
have they been graded like the blue mountains has been over the later part of summer?

spikenet

Likes Dirt
has anyone done a reccy of the fire trails of late?
have they been graded like the blue mountains has been over the later part of summer?
definitely no grading done as of last weekend. The first hill is pretty loose, looks like dirtbikes + quads have been fanging around on it, still very ride-able tho :). Track seemed pretty washed out from what I remember of last year.
Shepards gully is a hoot (as usual)

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
As usual the track is mainly sandy, rocky, hardpack, leafy, roots, logs and tarmac. Run tyres that suit you best for those conditions.

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
Well no puddles you can ride through... so not relevant for tyre choice
Puddles you can ride through: DW2007. Somewhere between the 26km and 50km mark there is a section if firetrail that had some fairly deep puddles. This dude tries to pass by going through a puddle. It is wide and the mud looks pretty thick going in.

Passing dude builds up speed and hits the puddle next to me at full noise.
Front wheel sinks in big time and passing dude is launched OTB to land in the same puddle and muddy bottom. His bike is still standing upright in the mud. Passing dude looks back at his bike like a showjump rider that has just been ejected from his horse. Passing dude is also covered in mud and looks like the creature from the Black Lagoon. And a big conga line of riders pass by with helpful comments like "Ya might try riding around the next one.", "So is it cold in?", "Nah mate - the water refill point is a few km away yet."
I laughed pretty much all the way into the 50km mark. :D

Thanks for the advice on tyres Alchemist - love ya work! ;)

Bear - out

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Thanks for the advice on tyres Alchemist - love ya work! ;)
No worries, I'm happy to sandbag anybody.

For what it's worth by the looks of things I' either running 35mm Racing Ralphs, 2.1 Racing Ralphs, 2.2 Ritchey Premonitions, 35mm Maxxis Locusts or 2.35" Maxxis Larsons (wire bead) depending on which bike I end up riding... There's a very out side chance of 19mm Conti Supersonics or GP4000s but generally even I am not that silly... Mind you there are some long road section....

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alchemist, were you the rider with a 'cross bike last year ?
I remember pushing up the first big hill next to a x'er .
Game bastard if it was you !!!(or whoever it was !!!)

nayto

Likes Bikes
What kind of pressures do u fellas run for tracks like this? Ive never ran lower than 32f 38r (tubeless)

frensham

Likes Dirt
last year I started with 65psi and had no issues with flats

The second time I rode the DirtWorks 100 I had my pressures at 65psi. 4km from the finish the rear tyre blew off the rim and would not remount..... That's the longest 4km I have ever walked.

redhardtail

Likes Bikes
track conditions today (and about 3 weeks ago)

did the final recce/training ride today - the rain has settled some of the sand down compared to three weeks ago

My mates and i are predicting alot of accidents this year - parts of the track are really washed out and exposed, lots of areas of baby head rocks, ruts and no obvious lines

Other parts are just sand bunkers taken from a golf course - for some reason quite a few are located at the bottom of descents where you are carry some nice speed, a couple at at the top of descents to upset your wheel before you roll down and a couple of on the climbs itself.

If people aren't crashing due to the washed out course, or the sand traps, they'll be crashing because someone has stopped in the middle of the track to walk/navigate through said exposed area and sand traps.

while the elites may not be affected, times for most others will be slower