Dirtworks 50km & 100m

Ricardo68

Likes Dirt
Hi folks,

I'm in the 50km one & wondering about the course. It lists:

50km Course: 50% Fire Trail - 43% Dirt Road - 7% Tarmac

http://www.dirtworks.com.au/newsite/content/view/94/127/

So I'm thinking about bike and tyre choice.

I'm thinking hardtail and Larsen TT type of setup, is it all peaches and cream or are there tough sections which I would better off on my dually?

Bike choice for me is either Santa Cruz Heckler or Kona Cindercone. The Heckler is much more comfortable but the Cindercone kills it for speed...

Thanks in advance,

Ric

PDogg

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Considering the 50 is short and sharp, go the HT. The 50 misses the roughest trails.

El Paso

Likes Bikes
If I were you I'd just do the 100m one :p, you won't really have to worry about tyres or anything else then. :rolleyes:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I'm thinking hardtail and Larsen TT type of setup, is it all peaches and cream or are there tough sections which I would better off on my dually?
HT definitely. A few years ago it would have been different but the road as been improved since then

Solo 24 is round the corner :eek: and tyre choice options for that ? :eek:
It's at Majura, you'll be fine with a roadie and 23mm slicks unless it rains. In which case use a 28mm with a bit of tread.

Ricardo68

Likes Dirt
100km is nutso, plus is sold out (thankfully) so it's not an option for me :)

I'm thinking along your lines PDogg, cheers :) I noticed the 100km is along singletrack and rockgardens, I kinda wish I could take a detour that way for a bit!

Yes I know it's ages away but I have to plan ahead. I was going to sell the Cindercone (probably still will if I get a good price) but I'm wondering if it was worth hanging on to.

Many thanks all,

Ric

Onegear

Likes Dirt
Full Rigid

Going with the full rigid single speed for the 100 this time around.
Tires I havent decided yet skinny and light or fat and cumfy/slow not sure but leaning toward larsen TT 2.0s

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Tyre choice?

Over the years I've been happy with Larsens, Crossmarks, Pythons. There's a huge variety of surfaces: bitumen, dirt road, sandstone, sand, mud ... but mostly hardpack and sand. Rain makes it a faster course (last year was brilliant). This year is looking similar.

Onegear

Likes Dirt
Its all good.

I am almost ready for it cant be as nutty as riding a cyclocross on a downhill course or is it.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow, hadn't actually read the break-up of the 50km until now. kinda disappointing that there is no single track (although the 100 last year didn't seem to have any real tight singletrack), although it should make for a relatively quick ride.

agoer

Likes Dirt
wow, hadn't actually read the break-up of the 50km until now. kinda disappointing that there is no single track (although the 100 last year didn't seem to have any real tight singletrack), although it should make for a relatively quick ride.
Before I Entered I looked at that, and thought what the hey. I have now recruited my brother (who hasnt ridden a bike outside the city jungle) into doing it, and another one of his friends.

Someone correct me if im wrong but it sounds like a good novice sort of track.

For the record Im doing the 50 as well.

G

JP

Likes Dirt
I'm down for the 100. I have only the ridden the commuter 4 times in the last 5 months and have not been on the mtb for god knows how long. WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!!!!!! I'm frightened.

digger

Likes Dirt
be very scared!

I rode a section of the great north road a couple of weeks ago which includes by my best guess a 10k section at around the 35k - 45km mark of the DW100 and it was tough. there are several fallen trees (which I'm guessing they will clear before the event) and it is so much more eroded than last year. I recall thinking, 'OK when I get home, i'm going to fill my tyres with golf balls or buy octagonal wheels' as prep for this years event. It's going to be a tough one, moreso than usual. I'm sticking with the duallie for sure!

JP

Likes Dirt
Who's camping out there? I'm sleeping in the back of the ute so hopefully with my tarp and foam mattress I'll be warm enough. I assume that the place is dead quiet after 10pm with everyone trying to catch some zzzzzz's for the big day. Really looking forward to this event.

craign

Likes Dirt
Who's camping out there? I'm sleeping in the back of the ute so hopefully with my tarp and foam mattress I'll be warm enough. I assume that the place is dead quiet after 10pm with everyone trying to catch some zzzzzz's for the big day. Really looking forward to this event.
Last year you would have been warm enough, 2 years ago no way! There was ice on the car windshield in the morning...

Ha, quite, ha! A few hundred mountain bikers? I think not!

wittman13

Likes Dirt
I would suggest a tent or a swag. It was bloody cold 2 years ago, and having to join hte queues for the toilet at 530am it is a bit chilly.

As for noise, after 6 schooners, you just seem to sleep better no matter what sounds are about.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would suggest a tent or a swag. It was bloody cold 2 years ago, and having to join hte queues for the toilet at 530am it is a bit chilly.

As for noise, after 6 schooners, you just seem to sleep better no matter what sounds are about.
I was there last year and it was cold, but not too bad. people weren't too noisy, although we were up and about until 10:30/11.

I am getting excited just thinking about the night before - let alone the race itself!!!!

slowK

Likes Dirt
Hi folks,

I'm in the 50km one & wondering about the course. It lists:

50km Course: 50% Fire Trail - 43% Dirt Road - 7% Tarmac

http://www.dirtworks.com.au/newsite/content/view/94/127/

So I'm thinking about bike and tyre choice.

Bike choice for me is either Santa Cruz Heckler or Kona Cindercone. The Heckler is much more comfortable but the Cindercone kills it for speed...

Thanks in advance,

Ric
I did the 50k last year. Was kinda worried about how technical it was going to be. Couldn't decide between my Specialized FSR or Avanti hardtail. In the end decided to go with the hardtail, and was glad I did. It was MUCH less technical than I thought it would be (and I'm pretty wussy on technical stuff), didn't miss the rear suspension at all, and was faster on the road bits. It was basically good firetrail from memory.

Tire-wise, I had IRC Mythos IIs (F and R specific) that I got dirt cheap. They worked fine, but washed out in a few sandy bits - nothing unusual there.

The 100k sounds much harder though...