VIC Dirty Gran Fondo - 17th May 2015 - Wandong - MTB / CX / MONGREL

AlanT

Likes Dirt
Yep - it's back for the 4th year, but Big Hill Events have changed a few things up for 2015. With a 90k, 65k and 30k option this event caters for all abilities, and with 0% singletrack you don't have to have all the off-road technical skills. Categories are based on what bike you choose to ride - MTB, CX or MONGREL (anything else) - which is best? Well that depends on a number of factors - especially the weather.

New Course
DGF-Map-2015-with-graphics.jpg
So things have been mixed up for 2015 - first off the killer climb 10ks in has been removed and the rest of the course has been reversed - the 90k troopers get a couple of new sections in (one of which will have everyone dismounted! Ha, you'll see!) Reversing the course has resulted in a 14k descent to finish for all 90k and 65k riders: now that's a good finish after you've already peddled for 76k!

Big Hill Events always stress that this is a good event for people who haven't ever been off road before - the course is on gravel roads and 4wd tracks, so you don't need the technical ability of being able to ride singletrack.

Feed Zones
Right, there are 4 of them. Well, 2 "physical" feed zones, but if you're in the 90k you'll pass through both twice, in the 65k you get 3 and the 30k you just get the one. We stock them up with water, Endura and then anything else we can get our hands on - previous years we've had fruit, oreos, mud cake, lolles, vegemite sandwiches, nutella sanwiches, ginger ale, coke - who knows what we'll have this year. One thing is for certain though - FITZROY REVOLUTION will be at the feed zone for the 65k and 90k riders with their coffee machine. Yep a coffee machine in the middle of the forest. We s**t you not.

Entries
First up - we now accept BOTH MTBA licences and Cycling Australia (Gold and Silver) Licences. Otherwise it's a $20 day licence for you. Entires are cheaper the earlier you enter, so get on it (plus check below for info on winning some Northwave shoes!) Check Entry Zone for the current prices:
ENTER ONLINE HERE

Northwave Competition
Twitter - Northwave Comp v3.jpg
Northwave are giving away bunch of cycling shoes including their Extreme Tech Plus MTB shoes (top of the range) - Check here for more information on how to win them

Dirty Gran Fondo T-Shirt
EXCLUSIVE DGFTwitter-.jpg
Niki Fisher's awesome design is now available on a T-shirt but for a limited time only and will NOT be available to purchase at the event. And the offer runs out on 23rd of April so if you want one get on it quick snap. Click here to check the T-Shirt out and purchase yours now

Off The Bike Meet Up - Wednesday 15th April - Fitzroy Revolution
Fitz-Shop.jpg
We're holding a off the bike meet up at Fitzroy Revolution on Wednesday evening from roughly 6pm to chat everything to do with this years event. So if you're not sure about the Dirty Gran Fondo or got a mate who isn't sure - or even if you want all the details about the 2015 course then this is for you. Rohin Adams (Event Director) and Alan Tregidgo (Event Organiser) will both be there with a few beers and some snacks so come on down and say hi. More info on the off the bike meet up here

If you're reading this after Wednesday the 15th then feel free to contact us directly with any questions - or post them on here, our facebook page, twitter, instagram, the event facebook page, the strava club ....we track them all :dance:

Where to Hear More
We've got a private Facebook Group which gives you special discounts and has all the inside info on the event - Click here to join the group

We have a Strava Club - so you can see what everyone else is riding on the lead up to the Dirty Gran Fondo. We've also gone through and added some particular strava segments into the course so make sure you upload your ride after the event too. Join The Club here

Sign up to the Facebook Event page and invite your friend along - just click here

Check out the event website which has info on the course, where to go, Q&A with Jenny MacPhearson, Karen Hill and Adrian Jackson, Sponsor links, previous results and write ups from previous years. - Big Hill Events

Instagram - get them hashtags working on #DirtyGranFondo and #LoveTheDirt - we're at Instagram.com/BigHillEvents

Twitter - Send us messages directly or start using that #DirtyGranFondo - we're at twitter.com/BigHillEvents

Most importantly - get yourself signed up to the event if you haven't already - it's time to commit and stay on the bike as it gets colder!
ez_enter_here.jpg

#DirtyGranFondo

Last edited:

AlanT

Likes Dirt
Don't forget our Off The Bike Meet Up is THIS WEDNESDAY (15th April) evening at the Fitzroy Revolution - are we going to see you there?

There'll be free giveaways to anyone who has already signed up to the 2015 Dirty Gran Fondo. Oh and there'll be beer.

More Info - http://bit.ly/DGF-OFFTHEBIKEMEETUP

AlanT

Likes Dirt
LAST CHANCE ON T-SHIRT! There's less than 24 hours for you to get your hands on one!

EXCLUSIVE TSHIRTLimited Time OnlyGet.jpg
-----> Click Here!
These will not be available at the event - so don't miss your opportunity to get this awesome design.

Competition!

DGF_HookPromo_FB_V1.jpg

Thanks to Bombtrack and The Fitzroy Revolution you could get the chance to ride a brand new "Hook" CX bike - get set up 2 weeks beforehand at the shop and then ride it at the Dirty Gran Fondo - complete with FREE entry!
All you have to do is the following:
- Join the Dirty Gran Fondo Private Facebook Group
- Post a pic and story of why you deserve this opportunity in the Facbeook group - your current bike is a mess / you've never tried a CX before / never cycled the Dirty Gran Fondo before ? Any others?

More info - http://www.fitzroyrevolution.com.au/news/post/dirty-gran-fondo-scxelection/

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so looking at the results the mtb is superior to the CX even on dirt roads interesting .... especially with the big unit PVDP on a CX.

MTB:
Chris Hamilton 3:14:02

CX:
3:15:42 1 Paul Van Der Ploeg

3:16:01 2 Tobias Lestrell

AlanT

Likes Dirt
so looking at the results the mtb is superior to the CX even on dirt roads interesting .... especially with the big unit PVDP on a CX.

MTB:
Chris Hamilton 3:14:02

CX:
3:15:42 1 Paul Van Der Ploeg

3:16:01 2 Tobias Lestrell
It's debate time - and that's what I love about this event is which bike is best, obviously other variables come into play also. But having a look at the Strava Flyby - check Chris Hamilton (MTB) Rohin Adams (CX) Tobias Lestrell (CX) - If Rohin hadn't got a puncture at the creek crossing would he of been able to push on ahead of Chris? Who knows. Same, if Rohin, Tobias and PVDP (not on the strava flyby) had known they were so close to Chris towards the end could they have worked harder together to reach him?

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#306027847,eos8EkA2PRIVVD8SchtIEhIeSRI=

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It's debate time - and that's what I love about this event is which bike is best, obviously other variables come into play also. But having a look at the Strava Flyby - check Chris Hamilton (MTB) Rohin Adams (CX) Tobias Lestrell (CX) - If Rohin hadn't got a puncture at the creek crossing would he of been able to push on ahead of Chris? Who knows. Same, if Rohin, Tobias and PVDP (not on the strava flyby) had known they were so close to Chris towards the end could they have worked harder together to reach him?

I did the ride, great event!

I disagree. There is no way a cx bike would be quicker on that last 5km of the course. It was riddled with bumps, mud and puddles. Like for like, the same person on a cx vs mtb would easily do it faster on a mtb.

As for the puncture, definately. That's a lot of time right there. But that's the risk you take. I saw a lot of cx punctures, especially on the first rocky descent, but didn't see any mtb punctures (there probably were though). Having said that, I'm sure if Chris was slightly trailing on the last 10km or so he would have put the gas on and eaten up the last massive descent, on a cross bike you can only sit and watch the MTB eat up the terrain unless the skills gap is huge between both riders.

Imo this was easily a MTB favoured event. If it was dry, cx.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If Rohin hadn't got a puncture at the creek crossing would he of been able to push on ahead of Chris?
and that's it, you push the cx too hard on the rough stuff and pinch flats, where mtb can huck over any terrain.

Last edited:

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
I rode my CX bike with 40c tubeless tyres (F27/R35psi)- best of both worlds imo…

The last 5km - the mud pit of doom :) I passed two mtbers, one was an imposter #enduro… I wouldn't have done it any quicker on my mtb.

Was an awesome day - recommended to everyone of all abilities.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Was an awesome day - recommended to everyone of all abilities.
+1

On the CX the thing I underestimated the most was how beaten up I felt at the end of the ride, and that was before my front wheel ejected itself from the bike and I went OTB.

Not sure if I'd do it again on the CX or take the MTB out next year, but the 11-28 cassette was not the right choice.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
+1

On the CX the thing I underestimated the most was how beaten up I felt at the end of the ride, and that was before my front wheel ejected itself from the bike and I went OTB.

Not sure if I'd do it again on the CX or take the MTB out next year, but the 11-28 cassette was not the right choice.
I cheated and did a 65km recon on my Cx. The terrain can beat you up and to me that's the worse when fatigued, much rather plow through. I had no hope finishing on 34x28 Cx gearing either haha.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt

and if PVDP hadn't have been so hung over and slept the night before...

Let's not forget Chris is a well credentialled road climber in the NRS and the fastest XCO style rider at the event...ignoring what style of bike he was on he was the favourite to win.