Disappointed with Pikes?

BKMad

Likes Dirt
So Pikes seem to constantly get good reviews and they seem to be the go-to fork for performance these days. Has anyone bought one and actually been disappointed with the performance? I'm tossing up whether to sell my x-fusion sweeps and replace them with pikes. The sweep is pretty good so the pike really would need to be exceptional, but if its worth it I may do it.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
I have had two pairs (26" and then 27.5). Both were great out of the box. I have only recently added two volume spacers and dropped 10psi and this has taken them to a new level again.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I only change forks if there is something about the current fork that I don't like and that I can't fix.

Based on the thing I don't like, then I can make an informed decision about whether a new fork will solve that problem for me. I can then go out and get that fork.

So here's the question: what is wrong with your current fork? Put another way, what is your current fork doing (or not doing) that is holding your riding back?

If the answer is "nothing", then the only thing going to Pikes will change will be your bank balance.

If the answer is "something", then you need to analyse whether the Pikes will address that "something" or not.

The reviews of the Pikes have been universally good, but people who have shelled out money on the next best thing are universally biased and any magazine write ups are paid for infomercials where minor improvements in performance are grossly exaggerated.

willsy01

Eats Squid
So here's the question: what is wrong with your current fork? Put another way, what is your current fork doing (or not doing) that is holding your riding back?
My response to this would be that sometimes you don't what the problem is until you give the alternative a try.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Chops just recently bought his. Wait a week or so, if there is anything, at all, to dislike about them it will be all over RB like a rash. This will be your first datum point, then take the most glowing review as your second. Actual performance/quality will be somewhere about 99% north of Normans fussy nit picking.

If however chopsticks raves about them, buy them, marry them and have their children.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pikes are the real deal.
Has a product ever been unanimously loved in the way these have?

Usually the mtb community is jam-packed with people willing to argue one way or another.
Fox vs Rockshox, Sram vs Shimano etc etc

scblack

Leucocholic
Chops just recently bought his. Wait a week or so, if there is anything, at all, to dislike about them it will be all over RB like a rash. This will be your first datum point, then take the most glowing review as your second. Actual performance/quality will be somewhere about 99% north of Normans fussy nit picking.

If however chopsticks raves about them, buy them, marry them and have their children.
Have you seen chop's nancy-boy riding though? He himself states he never gets off the ground and falls far far far short of utilising the capabilities of a SB66.

Someone who uses just 10% of the fork's capabilities is not who I would use as a reference point.:nono:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Have you seen chop's nancy-boy riding though? He himself states he never gets off the ground and falls far far far short of utilising the capabilities of a SB66.

Someone who uses just 10% of the fork's capabilities is not who I would use as a reference point.:nono:
But you will have an excellent idea of how photogenic they are.

This is the important data.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I only change forks if there is something about the current fork that I don't like and that I can't fix.

Based on the thing I don't like, then I can make an informed decision about whether a new fork will solve that problem for me. I can then go out and get that fork.

If the answer is "nothing", then the only thing going to Pikes will change will be your bank balance.

If the answer is "something", then you need to analyse whether the Pikes will address that "something" or not.

The reviews of the Pikes have been universally good, but people who have shelled out money on the next best thing are universally biased and any magazine write ups are paid for infomercials where minor improvements in performance are grossly exaggerated.
A great response. Thanks.
My current fork really is quite good. The control over medium to large hits is very good, but they are harsh over smaller bumps at high speed which has been resulting in my hands getting fatigued on longer rides. You've made me realise I probably need to work on tuning them a bit more to get them working as I'd like.

The bias you mention is exactly why I worded my question as I did. I don't really need more endorsements for pikes as there's already plenty on the net. What I'm interested in is more an unbiased view of someone whos had some for a while and gotten past the excitement of having a new fork. Buying a new fork is hard as most of the time you can't test ride it so your somewhat reliant on reviews. I bought the sweeps based on reviews as there was nowhere that I could test ride them and they haven't quite lived up to their reputation, I was worried that pikes could be the same.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 150 solo 26" Pike. Coming from 140 TALAS it is a different ride and I have found it a bit hard to set up correctly. The odd thing is that it works really well through a wide range of pressures and small bump compliance is actually better with higher pressure (within reason) because you can run less low speed compression damping.

The TALAS has to be set up pretty harsh to manage moderate to big hits despite the way it ramps up and does not quite use full travel. The Pike seems to handle big hits well when the pressure is low. For my weight I am supposed to run 85-95psi, but I have settled on just under 80. On stony trails it just tracks so smoothly over the bumps that I can tolerate slightly more bob when standing and pedalling.

On the largest hits I generally do it has not been taken beyond its limit and it feels stiff. There is more brake dive than the TALAS, but then everything works differently and better and I am getting used to it. I suspect I may get better performance by putting in one token and slightly tinkering with damping and pressure, but I am not making those changes for now until I get a better feel for it. It is certainly a class act and the difference in arm fatigue is noticeable. It does make the shock seem a bit ordinary in comparison though.

Quintin

Eats Squid
i have the 27.5 160mm solo air rct3

feels better than the shitty x-fusion slant that i had previously but at the end of the day its just a single crown fork, nothing to lose your mind over.

i had to send it back because the charger cartridge failed but was replaced under warranty pretty quick.

Gripo

Eats Squid
I don't really need more endorsements for pikes as there's already plenty on the net. What I'm interested in is more an unbiased view of someone whos had some for a while and gotten past the excitement of having a new fork. Buying a new fork is hard as most of the time you can't test ride it so your somewhat reliant on reviews. I bought the sweeps based on reviews as there was nowhere that I could test ride them and they haven't quite lived up to their reputation, I was worried that pikes could be the same.
Same here.......I'm satisfied with the consistant reviews on their operation.

Just want to know how they are after 3/6/9mths and are a big sloppy (or have become sloppy) like most RS components.....

But then again what's the point in the other brand if you aren't enjoying them?

ChopSticks

Banned

yeah......I really wouldn't take my pike review for anything lol

btw, how do you set sag?...........:whistle: