Disc brake advice

Jrok

Likes Dirt
Hey burners! Hope this is the right section and please don't hate me but I'm building an eMtb and need some decent brakes. Wondering if anyone has seen any red hot deals for a front and back set, prefer NOT dot as i hate handling dot fluid. Thinking shimano/magura or similar? I have seen magura mt5 are cheap but dont have any experience with them. Any input appreciated

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Hey burners! Hope this is the right section and please don't hate me but I'm building an eMtb and need some decent brakes. Wondering if anyone has seen any red hot deals for a front and back set, prefer NOT dot as i hate handling dot fluid. Thinking shimano/magura or similar? I have seen magura mt5 are cheap but dont have any experience with them. Any input appreciated
Formula Cura are the best brakes for power/weight/price you can buy iny opinion.

Lord gun have them for $350 a set delivered at the moment.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Either, I run cura 2s and find they are plenty powerful but I'm only 80kg. Have had Cura4s and didn't see the need as the 2s are so good.
Ozzy has already recommended them but seeing that you have them too - would they be good for someone 104kg and is getting into more gravity oriented riding?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Ozzy has already recommended them but seeing that you have them too - would they be good for someone 104kg and is getting into more gravity oriented riding?
There were quite a few teams on the WC circuit running the Cura 2s before the Cura 4s came out.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
TRP DHR Evo. Thank me later.

Edit: a little more than the $350 quoted for Cura4s above, MTB direct have them for $390 per end but they do go on sale a bit.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
TRP DHR Evo. Thank me later.

Edit: a little more than the $350 quoted for Cura4s above, MTB direct have them for $390 per end but they do go on sale a bit.
Yep $350 is cura 2s, I was looking for another set the other day. Honestly don't see the need for the 4s as the 2s with aftermarket pads stop WC riders and its much easier to set up and run 2 piston brakes.

Jrok

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the input, are they easy to bleed like shimano's? I might be a dumbass but seem to struggle with some of the srams where you pump and push and pull and do the hokey pokey.

Also, guessing these would be vastly better than a magura mt5?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Thanks for the input, are they easy to bleed like shimano's? I might be a dumbass but seem to struggle with some of the srams where you pump and push and pull and do the hokey pokey.

Also, guessing these would be vastly better than a magura mt5?
They're not quite as straightforward as the Shimano cup & syringe method. It's a two-syringe push/pull deal, but they meet your mineral oil requirement so it's still easy clean up and all. Just grab a bleed kit when you order them. They also come with spare olive/barb/compression nut in the box so shortening hoses is easy and you don't need to order extras.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Is the push pull thing a must for the curas?

It easy enough to get a screw in adapter for the Shimano cups to suit your chosen lever.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
They're not quite as straightforward as the Shimano cup & syringe method. It's a two-syringe push/pull deal, but they meet your mineral oil requirement so it's still easy clean up and all. Just grab a bleed kit when you order them. They also come with spare olive/barb/compression nut in the box so shortening hoses is easy and you don't need to order extras.
The Formula cura bleed kit is great! And good value.
I like my set of 4s. But I also bought a set of 2s a while back as spares. Plus you can buy all parts for rebuilds.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Fitted my first set of Uberbike Race matrix this morning before the afternoon ride. Very much on par with Trickstuff Power though the TS pads feel more progressive where the Race matrix feel bitey.
Both easily lock a wheel with 1 finger and they feel pretty good so far. Lots of metal specs in the compound but no chunks as were found in @Haakon pads.
Pretty good pads for the price IMO. A world away from the standard Shimano pads and as long as they are kind to my rotors, I would say they are better value for money than the TS as they are half the price.
Will try the e-matrix next time as I missed my opportunity with stock on those. Seem pretty good so far.

PXL_20231202_085006981.jpg

Last edited: