Disc brake buzzing

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im running the old school shimano saint brakes (m800) and, on the front brake only, I get a noticeable buzzing sound every time I brake at speed.

Im using matching 8in XT rotors and have swapped the brakes between bikes (and forks) and have also recently replaced the pads, yet still I get this buzzing noise.

Any ideas?

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If its only whilst you are braking try cleaning your rotor with isopropyl alcohol. Worked for me, sounded like a tuning fork, just make sure you dont get it on your pads.

willsy01

Eats Squid
It's just the holes in the discs running past the pads. If they're stopping fine, I wouldn't be cleaning anything.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's just the holes in the discs running past the pads. If they're stopping fine, I wouldn't be cleaning anything.
Doesn't seem like a likely explanation. The front buzzes, but the rear, with exactly the same setup doesn't? Have never heard another bike do it? Talking seven years riding, 7-8 different bikes with discs, and two years as a mechanic.

It doesnt appear to affect braking performance, my main concern is pad wear or rotor wear, if something is rubbing that shouldnt be.

Jack Mcinnes

Likes Bikes
My advice would to be change your rotor and see if it makes a different. I have the same problem with my formula RX although its only on the rear. Take out each variable one by one eg. Rotors, pads, etc!

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My advice would to be change your rotor and see if it makes a different. I have the same problem with my formula RX although its only on the rear. Take out each variable one by one eg. Rotors, pads, etc!
Have swapped rotors, pads, forks and still happens.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Doesn't seem like a likely explanation. The front buzzes, but the rear, with exactly the same setup doesn't? Have never heard another bike do it? Talking seven years riding, 7-8 different bikes with discs, and two years as a mechanic.

It doesnt appear to affect braking performance, my main concern is pad wear or rotor wear, if something is rubbing that shouldnt be.
The front is under far more load than the rear.

Chris Jeisman

Cannon Fodder
I have found my front code brake does a similar thing now and do did my mates and all we did to fix it is clean the brake pads and rotor with an industrial brake cleaner and then LIGHTLY sand the disk to rough it up a little and do the same with the pads. Then to finish off bleed the brake and it was stopping better then ever after a couple of bedding in runs down a hill.

Make sure you do the bed in runs or you will end up on your head on the trail!

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
My front brake with Elixir 5s always buzzes, then I purchased new 2012 XT brakes with icetech rotors etc and they do it too. Fork is the only thing left original. So my front brake still buzzes today even after three years.