Disc brakes with gyro

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was looking at putting brakes with a gyro on my MTB and it seems its going to be a significant process to get a hydraulic gyro
I was wondering If anyone has run a cable disc brake with BMX cable/gyro?
If they did was it at all successful?

sedifus

Likes Dirt
I haven't personally run a cable disc with a gyro but have been tempted. You should be fine given that the gyro is set up properly and evenly. The hardest part would be finding a long enough lower cable to reach your calliper.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Cant seen it been any different than a standard gyro system, if you are running cable it should be the same process just instead of pulling on a V brake it runs to the disc.

Pegasus

Likes Dirt
I had a cable gyro with avid bb5 disk brake on my old kona stuff. The length between the two gyro rings (when i had it) wasn't quite long enough to properly pull the brake cable so braking power wasn't that strong. But its really not any different than a regular gyro.

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
BMX brake levers pull less cable than V-brake or cable disc brake levers. The Gyros made for BMX brakes will probably not have enough throw. An option is to run an Avid BB7 road caliper, which is the same as the BB7 mountain caliper but with a shorter throw arm for the lower cable pull, and some BMX brake levers.

Luck,

CT

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
It looks flashy and a tad techy but there's reports of leaks and difficult maintenance in seals. Although seals are readily available in the commercial market, you'll have to be an expert in re-bleeding brake systems.

The Atomlab Hydro Twister is double sealed (top and bottom) for reduced leaking, but the downside is a 25mm additional stack height for steerer to fit the HTwister. Works well with low rise bars and offset stems.

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The guy from Rampfest Melbourne ran a BMX gyro with cable disc brakes. You just need a lever with enough pull in it, one made for disc brakes not a BMX lever made for BMX style calipers