Disc mount shock with rim brakes

MARKL

Eats Squid
Is it possible to get some kind of adaptor to mount a disc mount fork on a rim brake bike?
Hope that makes sense
Ers
No issue with mounting a fork with disc mounts on a bike that didn't have disc mounts, no adaptor required...but I suspect that wasn't your question...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
For a fork, easy, just fit a disc compatible fork.

For converting a non-disc frame, get friendly with a framebuilder.

MARKL

Eats Squid
So a disc compatible shock will work on a rim brake wheel/frame?
Some shocks say disc only, why is that?
Thanks
Ers
Forks and shocks are at different ends of the bike, I assume you are talking about fork. The reason it says 'disc only' is because it doesn't have mounts for rim brakes.

ers

Likes Dirt
Forks and shocks are at different ends of the bike, I assume you are talking about fork. The reason it says 'disc only' is because it doesn't have mounts for rim brakes.
Ahhh, so my original question (that I thought was unclear) was what I needed to know. Can i mount rim brakes on a disc fork via some kind of adaptor?
Thanks

MARKL

Eats Squid
Ahhh, so my original question (that I thought was unclear) was what I needed to know. Can i mount rim brakes on a disc fork via some kind of adaptor?
Thanks
No...I am sure somebody makes some really crappy adaptor but no.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Wait, what? Dear god I hope not. :fear:
Sadly yes. A m4 low tensile set screw is going to have all the clamping force of a wet noodle.....

Image1470313464.398523.jpg

Getting serious here for the original poster.

Our combinations of answers here:

Rim braked wheels have nowhere for the disk to bolt on. The above adapter is a joke.

Disk only forks have nowhere for the rim brakes to attach too.

Rear disk brakes can be added to the frame with adapters, but again you need a disk compatable wheel.

Rim brake adapters onto a disk only fork, there probably is an adapter but most forks are too thin in tube sidewall thickness to take the loading

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Sadly yes. A m4 low tensile set screw is going to have all the clamping force of a wet noodle.....

View attachment 331001

Getting serious here for the original poster.

Our combinations of answers here:

Rim braked wheels have nowhere for the disk to bolt on. The above adapter is a joke.

Disk only forks have nowhere for the rim brakes to attach too.

Rear disk brakes can be added to the frame with adapters, but again you need a disk compatable wheel.

Rim brake adapters onto a disk only fork, there probably is an adapter but most forks are too thin in tube sidewall thickness to take the loading
Yes, I read it as wanting to add brake bosses on a disc fork. THATS the part that scared me :fear: