Disc or V?

notobe

Likes Dirt
I was just wondering what are the real advantages of disc brakes over v brakes? If you get good v brakes both make you stop straight away. Are disc brakes really worth the extra money? And what makes Hydro disc brakes better than mechinical disc brakes? ta.

bryn

Likes Dirt
yeh and why are 8 inch rotors better than 6 inches ? how can it make you stop better with an 8 when with 6 you stop straight away anyway ?

Jordy

RYD4LF
hydraulic discs are way better then vee's.... plus discs work when there wet compared to vee brakes that go all squeeky (if thats how you spell it ?)

Gonzo

Likes Dirt
Discs are better because you have a larger surface area in contact between the pad and the rotor( or the rim). Disc brake pads are about a square inch each as opposed to rim brake pads which are smaller.

8 inch rotors are better than 6 inch rotors because the braking force is being applied further away from the middle of the wheel. If you can remember your high school physics then you should find an answer why that is better, i have forgotten all mine.

8 inch are also better because they stay cooler than a 6 inch rotor under equivalent conditions.

Rik

logged out
Disc advantages: consistent all weather stopping, usually higher braking power
Hydro disc advantages: even more power than cable, set-and-forget maintainence

that said, I'm more than happy with V's for the stuff I do, I can put myself over the bars with one finger if I wanted. Not much stops better than ceramic rims with cheap shitty pads ;)

Gonzo

Likes Dirt
yeah also hydro's are better than cable because there is no delay between pulling the lever and the brakes coming on.

With cables when you pull the lever first the slack in the cable has to get taken up then the cable will stretch a little and finally the brake will start to work. (please note i am exagerating slightly here)

with hydraulic lines (assuming they're bled properly) you do not have to wait for the force to be transmitted along the line like with cables. the difference is not huge and most people won't notice it it's mainly trials riders that really need hydro brakes. that is why magura's are so popular with trials riders.

Rik

logged out
There is a small delay between hydro disc pads hitting the rotor, but no more than a well-tweaked set of V's.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
disk pads last something like 13 times longer or something.... :wink:

Adi

It's my birthday!
8 inch rotors work better than 6 inch rotors because the braking force is being applied further away from the axle; try this, spin your front wheel and now try stopping the wheel spinning by trying to slow down the spokes near the centre of the hub (don't shove your fingers in all the way in and get them ripped off!), now do the same thing, but this time attempt stopping the wheel spinning near the rim. The force required is much lower.

What is better? Vees or Discs? Depends on what kind of riding you are doing. I'd rather a good set of vee brakes than low quality discs. :)

Rik

logged out
Shit yeh Adin! This is the problem though, in discussions like this, noone is really specific about the quality we're talking about. An average set of V's will flog the pants off an average disc system, but that said, a good disc will outbrake a good v. Then you go and throw Magura rim brakes into the equation and it stuffs everything up :lol:

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
matty_2003 said:
If your rim is bunged discs still work and v's dont
and if your disc is bunged, you can't let the cable off and ride home anyway. plus if you damage a hydro disc out on a ride, theres no chance of people having spares with them. i've riden home on a v brake hooked up with the front derailier cable before now.
if you are doing DH runs, maybe look at get discs, if you do more trail/XC type riding, invest in some good v's.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Or just go with some cable disks, good ones that is, like the Avid's. Great power without the worries of hydro complications.