Discovering Tasmania

DaGonz

Eats Squid
So...

I just booked my flight to Devenport for the 21st of April Next year. 4-5 days later I hope to find myself at Cockle Creek Camp ground (or Dover) plotting my next move.

What I want to figure out is ways of getting to Cockle Creek via dirt, other trails in that area I can head into, and ways of getting back to Hobart on as much legit dirt as possible. I'm also debating my move from there whether I chill out or go do some touristy things, or head back to Melbourne/Forest area for a couple of days riding.

Has anyone spent much time back country by bike? or perhaps have some other suggestions I should look into?

Cheers
Spoonie

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
You can do it, there are a few trail networks of fireroads that run from the North of the Island to the South. It dosn't go anywhere near Cockle Creek though unless you can stomach some tarmac. It's not legit mountain bike trail, but it is 4WD approved.
It's all old fireroad, and rated medium to hard for 4WD.
And a lot of it isn't used regularly and is overgrown, muddy, leeches, hard yakka. You would be spending a lot of time carrying your bike through creeks too.

I wouldn't attempt it alone. But then again, I don't have multiday trekking experience.
But it is a life dream of mine to bike trek north to south.
There was a guy from Hobart that rode from the South up to Zeehan without seeing the tarmac. All on a hard tail.

The only way to get the routes, or plan one is with some damn good up to date maps that show all the fire roads..

This is a rough map of how the fire road trail network all links up so you can see that they all go through Hobart, and from there it's onto the Tarmac to cockle creek. But that's also a great ride if you don't mind the road. I know it's unrelated but Revs magazine voted the road around the Tasman peninsula as one of the best 5 motorbike rides in Australia, and even though you are on a MTB, the road ride is great.

There isn't much trail around cockle creek or Dover though. Even though there is about half a million hectares of walking trails networks around there, none are MTB approved as far as I know, but I may be wrong.

Every decent legal trail in Tas here http://pedalbite.com/rides
Just click on the links for each trail and a google map will come up showing you where they are, and rider reviews of each trail.

Hope this helps.

Downhill Trail St Marys to Cornwall Downhill
Enduro Trail St Marys to Cornwall Downhill
Ridgley spillway Freeride
SISTERS BEACH TRAILS Dirt Jumps
Irishtown road - Davis Gully - Four Mile Creek Cross Country
Poatina section of the Tasmanian Trail Downhill
Balfour Track Forest Reserve Cross Country
Beckett Falls Downhill
Lake Chisholm Downhill
Milkshakes Hills Downhill
Davis gully Downhill
Alisons track Downhill
Dismal Swamp Cross Country
dover sk8 park Skate Park
Southern City BMX club Dirt Jumps
Golf course Downhill
Grindelwald Dirt Jumps
Balfour Downhill
Geilston Bay BMX Track Dirt Jumps
stubbs road Dirt Jumps
Ricky Freeride
Montezuma Falls Cross Country
Striling Valley down hill Downhill
Queen Hill Cross Country
Oona Hill Cross Country
Cockle Bay Track Cross Country
Nubeena Skate Park Skate Park
Kate Reed Nature Reserve Cross Country
js Track Cross Country
St Helens Skate Park Skate Park
Burnie Skate Park Skate Park
Port sorrel skate park Skate Park
devonport skate park Skate Park
Kaoota - Margate Tramway Cross Country
Hollybank Downhill
North - South Track Cross Country
Blackman's Bay Skate Park Skate Park
kingborough sports center Dirt Jumps
Cripps Road Cross Country
Dunns Creek Cross Country
Leslie Road to Maddocks Road Cross Country
Back Track Cross Country
Gardens Rd Forest Track Downhill
Avenue Track Cross Country
East Risdon Reserve Cross Country
Tolosa Nationals DH Downhill
Aurora track Cross Country
flag staff gully jumps Dirt Jumps
Briant Park Trails Cross Country
Heritage Forest Dirt Jumps
Dial Creek Road Ride Cross Country
Fernglade Cross Country
St Helens downhill extreme track Downhill
Snug Tiers Cross Country
S57 Downhill
Tahune MTB marathon Cross Country
Paloona Downhill
Snug - Powers Road Freeride
howrah hights dirt jumps Dirt Jumps
Royal skate park Skate Park
DJ behind Southern Cross Dirt Jumps
Kingston Beach Dirt Jumps Dirt Jumps
Ridgeway to Southern Outlet Cross Country
Herringback Cross Country
Tinderbox Hills Cross Country
Blackmans Bay to Grey Mountain Cross Country
Wyena (CLUB DAYS ONLY) Downhill
Big Bend Downhill
Tolosa Park Dirt Jumps Dirt Jumps
Elizabeth College Skate Park Skate Park
The Lea Downhill Course Downhill
Trevallyn Reserve Downhill
Windsor DJ Park Dirt Jumps
Tolosa Mountian Cross Course 4X
Radfords Downhill

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Heading North to South shouldn't bee too much of an issue as the Tasmanian Trail is reasonably well mapped. I have the Guide books already and plan to get the Topos on top of that so should be ok. There's been quite a few people ride the trail solo so don't really see it as too daunting...

...will have a look at the trails. I guess it's only an couple of hours ride from Dover to Cockle Creek at worst case so maybe just sticking to the tar might be worth it. Might depend on the weather :)

Thanks for the trail list, will have a look ;)

Cheers
Spoonie

frensham

Likes Dirt
Heading North to South shouldn't bee too much of an issue as the Tasmanian Trail is reasonably well mapped. I have the Guide books already and plan to get the Topos on top of that so should be ok. There's been quite a few people ride the trail solo so don't really see it as too daunting...

...will have a look at the trails. I guess it's only an couple of hours ride from Dover to Cockle Creek at worst case so maybe just sticking to the tar might be worth it. Might depend on the weather :)

Thanks for the trail list, will have a look ;)

Cheers
Spoonie

Tasmanian Trail is very good! There is an official guide too, which I recommend you use. Some big climbs over the Wellington Range and at that time of the year you can expect some quite cool weather on the Central Plateau. http://tasmaniantrail.com.au/
Enjoy the ride!

TysonRomero

Likes Bikes
....I guess it's only an couple of hours ride from Dover to Cockle Creek at worst case so maybe just sticking to the tar might be worth it.
There are certainly many less scenic roads you could ride. Weather permitting I reckon it would be worth making the trip to Cockle Creek. There's some good country down around Recherche Bay.

If the weather looks truly rubbish when you leave D'port and you don't fancy riding long distances solo in the rain/snow there is a network of trails (dirt roads) that head down the E coast...well, the roads are more or less in the hills in from the coast, but the difference in the weather there and up on the Central Plateau can be significant. Big rain shadow on the east coast when the weather is coming from the west.