Discs Sounding a bit squeaky

Jrad

Likes Dirt
About two days ago i got a mongoose thunderball with maxpro discs and when i originally rode it both seemed like they wwere constantly rubbing and the back was always a bit kinda held back. Anyway i took it back to the shop and they said that the discs were a bit warped but alot of discs come new like that. So he fixed it up and the back is riding well and the front still rubs a bit but the squek was gone. I took it back agian that arvo aand he said over time the front should just come back into place. Anyway this arvo i was riding some pretty easy dh trails and the front is squeaking again and it is more notcieable. SHould i take it back again, does anyone have same experience with discs.

Jordy

RYD4LF
i havent seen maxpro discs before but it is a common problem with all sorts of disc brakes
could just be your pads have a clear coat and have not worn in yet ?

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah that wat i recon it would be. There lower end disks so dont expet them to be as good as XT's or antthing. Porbably just need wearing in. There Pro Max. But yeah take it back if your worried but it's gonna probaby get worse and worse as the bike gtes older till it's 6 week servicecause if cable streching and stuff. But your forks and stuff will all work in after a bit of riding. New bikes always seem to fell pretty stiff for a little while till they have been riden a fair bit and have wamred in.

Fritta

Likes Dirt
Probably just your brakes need time to get used to your bike, and wear in. I wouldn't worry about it.

DRUM

Likes Dirt
Jrad,
what 2_fast_4_u said.
Also there are a few topics on this already, use the forums search to save writing needless posts.

1.5 days of school left!
cya

®ider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jrad they just need wearing in, my hayes hydraulics where like that, every disc is like that when they are new, becuse they need to bed in with the pads. So dont waste your time going bak- and-forth to the store each time, go riding eventually the squeak will stop.

Rik

logged out
Also, these are cable operated? If so, they've got one fixed pad, and one moving pad. Initially, the fixed pad can scrub every so lightly on the rotor, it does make an annoying noise, but as long as the wheel spins relatively freely, just ignore it.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i don't mind the maxpro setup for general riding/playing about, but they are a little noisy generaly. and they take forever to bed in properly.
also remember jrad, that almost every disc out there is buckled and warped to some extent, and that a slight amount of "scrubbing", the disc ouching the pads while the brakes are off, is fairly normal. if it becomes a problem (either the wheel is being slowed down, or the pads/disc are heating up and squealing) then get it looked at, but otherwise just ride it around for a while and see how you go.
it is pretty normal for a rider to be worried about things that are happening on a new bike, but try not to obssess about it, and just enjoy the ride.

Mommers

Likes Dirt
i had exactly the same problem with my discs when i got my bike, i gave it a few hard stops down the street and after that they were fine. Every now and then they have slight rubbing but nothing to bad.

Jrad

Likes Dirt
Yeh i have been riding down huge hills and braking heavily but it hgasnt made much difference. I did a bit of adjusting and they are a loittle better but less power in lever i spsoe i will jsut get used to it. By the way DRUM i did search but nothing was specific to this topic. Maybe it was just i was searching for not the right topic

J3T-PuLsAr

Likes Dirt
my front disc rubs sumtimes too, mine are jsut tecktro(cheap) i adjusted the lever out abit with the little windy part on the side and found it stopped squeeking. try applying the brake slightly while riding and see if the squeeking stops. if it does stop then adjust the side part on the lever, if it doesn work, try sumthing else..

Jrad

Likes Dirt
yeh its a case of either losing some braking power in the lever and stop the squeaking or have more power in lever and have nmore squeaking, i will prob just put up with it

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jrad just forget bout things like that cause untill there wear in you will be at the bike shop everysecond day or wont be stoping on hills anywhere near as well. Just ingorw it it will stop after a while. Thigs on the bike are going to get either better or worse like forks will get better cables will strech and get worse. Just wait till your 6 week or month service.

schmik

Likes Bikes
I've got a relatively new Mongoose too (Rockadile LED). The disks on this rub the pads a bit too. However, sometimes they actually squeak. Anyone got any idea what the difference between a slight rub (scratchy noise) and a high pitched squeak?

BTW, how long does it take for discs to be fully bedded in ? I hear this 6 week stuff all the time but some peeps ride every day, others only on weekends..... So far I've put 200km on the bike, At least half off-road. Surely thats bedded in !?!?!

schmik

neko

Likes Dirt
Not if you don't brake. It's all relative to the amount of braking you do. If you ride to school for two weeks they'll be resonably bedded. If you ride downhill they'll be good in an afternoon.

The standard is 35 hard stops. Go find a big hill, roll down it with your brakes dragging, that is, with them pulled on enough to keep you moving at a consisten speed.

When you get to the bottom, your rotors should be nice and hot. Get a water bottle and squirt the rotors. This will cool them rapidly, causing the little bit of brake pad that gets imbeded in the rotor to bond nicely.

Do this three of four times. It should stop the squeek and it'll improve your braking heaps.

P.s. I don't mean some little hump in town. I mean like a BIG hill. If you have someone with a car that can drive you back to the top, that would be good.

schmik

Likes Bikes
My mongoose has the maxpro discs on it too. When i first got it they where a little warped but after a bit of a service last night I found that they are nearly dead straight now. This allowed me to tighten the pads in and get heaps more tension in the lever. All sorted now!

BTW, I'll have to try that water thing on them.