DIY Brake Bleed Kit??

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wondering if anyone knows of a quick and easy brake bleed kit that can be made with general items you could buy at a shop or from things at home.

At the moment my Hayes So1es are feeling shit, due to the fact that they are not worth the amount for either a kit or a bleed i would rather do it myself.

Also: How much is DOT 3/4 fluid.

Baileys

Banned
just go to the shop yo work next to for motorbike brake fluid and syringes are cheap as chips like $1.50 each form teh chemist.

framd0

Likes Dirt
Righto, thanks...
Motorbikes use the same fluid as our breaks then i'm guessing?
yes, and i also recall somone telling me dot 3 and dot 4 fluids are the same?
anyways i used dot 3 on my hydro's and they worked fine. i also couldent find anyone that stocked dot 4 fluid

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you mix the two?
You leave most of the old fluid in when you bleed brakes???
Never had to do it so far... Brakes have worked, as well as So1es could for about 8 months...

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
i bought some high performance Dot 4 from super cheap, was like 10 bucks for 500ml. it will probably last most of my life.

Derelikt-3

Likes Dirt
Read your manual for types of fluid. Or on your fluid container it should say what fluid to use.

There should be a grease nipple on the brake caliper. You need a spanner to open the screw. You pull in the brake lever and open the screw at the same time and the old fluid should squirt out. Close the screw quickly after it. Try to not let air bubbles into the lines. All times have the lever pulled in when you open the screw. fill the container up with the new fluid and keep bleeding the line until you can see the new pink fluid or what ever colour it is come through.

low_rb

Likes Dirt
Its not adviseable to mix different brake fluids espicaly if there different brands as they can react to each other.

When i bleed brakes i get all the old fluid out and waste fluid doing it to make sure, when its comes to stopping its not worth takeing chances.

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess, first time i mightas well empty them.

And i have no idea what a bleed required hence it was a bit like rocket science.

Baileys

Banned
Well download the instruction manual sus out how to do it then get the stuff...

From memory you just have to open the top port and squeeze all the fresh fluid up from the bottom and out the top into a customised water bottle excess fluid cathererera

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Read your manual for types of fluid. Or on your fluid container it should say what fluid to use.

There should be a grease nipple on the brake caliper. You need a spanner to open the screw. You pull in the brake lever and open the screw at the same time and the old fluid should squirt out. Close the screw quickly after it. Try to not let air bubbles into the lines. All times have the lever pulled in when you open the screw. fill the container up with the new fluid and keep bleeding the line until you can see the new pink fluid or what ever colour it is come through.
Obviously you only bleed cars not the various brands of MTB brakes.....

Read the manuals on the brakes to determine the method. Eg for Hayes, you DONT pull the lever, but squeeze fluid in from the bottom (caliper) and let it out at the top (brake lever).
Squirt, lock off, then test lever, pumping a bit to loosen/release air bubbles, then bleed some more until all air is gone.
This means that you have to have a FULL syringe at the bottom, no air in the tube connected to the bleed nipple, avoid dripping ANY fluid on your caliper less you contaminate the pads, possibly your small ring spanner over the nipple before the tube, A correctly fitting tuba at the lever end with a bottle or something taped to your bars to catch the overflow fluid etc...
Not hard, but if done wrong can cause issues.And then the realisation that you probably should have taken it to the LBS anyway etc....

Lots of threads here in Farkin already on how to do the various brands.....