DIY SoPro mount

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Gents.

So I've been eyeing off this SoPro mount for the full face for a while now: http://www.sopromounts.com/product/full-face-gopro-mount/
I'm wanting to achieve a central, stable (unlike chest mount), low, forwards shot that captures bars as well as trail ahead. I've tried the under-visor thing and I could only manage to capture one or the other.

It has been sitting in my bookmarks for quite a few weeks and I thought tonight, fuck it, I might order one.

UNTIL I REACHED CHECKOUT AND SAW IT'D COST $80 AUD AFTER SHIPPING.

For something that probably costs $5-10 to make, I thought, hey maybe I could rig up some kind of DIY jobbie to do the same thing, for dramatically less cost.

However, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to creating things from nothing... so I thought I'd ask on here.
See if any of you guys have created some interesting camera mounts, or better yet, have some ideas on materials for me to create my own SoPro style mount!

With the right materials, some sharp scissors, a Stanley knife, some adjustable straps and something firm to attach an adhesive mount to on the front, I could probably wing it and come up with something that does the job pretty well.

I'm scoping the Bunnings website currently, as there's a store about 5 mins drive from me... but very much open to suggestions, ideas, and helpful tips. :)

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
have a browse through amazon and see what there is
Wat.

Anyway, Bunnings website was no good (is it ever?)... but I found some adhesive Neoprene sheets on Ebay for $14 (plan to stick two together back to back), and some straps for a few bucks.
Now to try and locate some kind of plate for the front, to stick an adhesive mount to.

Shit's gonna get crafty!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Shirley an old coat hanger and some scotch tape would be equally capable of causing craniofacial trauma?

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
interesting... looks like this sort of harness strapped to the helmet in similar fashion may work with a 3m sticky mount... reverse it for joystick camera control

didly86

Likes Dirt
I no where to get the straps from , they use them to tie up hoses in hydraulics . Places like enzed or a bolt place may have them , I've got bags and bags of them .

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I just drilled a hole through the front of my helmet and screwed a mount on. Might be a bit dodgy but gets good footage.

FB_IMG_1437137090416.jpg

Ideate

You'd think with all those mushrooms you consume, you'd be able to come up with something better than this?

I have a 3D printer remember? Drive that coon carrier over and we'll print something to fit your exact helmet.

John U

MTB Precision
Eskaton. I reckon if you talk to any decent hiking gear shop they will be able to tell you where they send packs to be repaired. The repairers will have all the shit you need and could probably knock one up for you.

Drive that (this bit) carrier over and we'll print something to fit your exact helmet.
You might want to fix that post up ideate.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
You can buy webbing and buckles on ebay easily. Ive been making a bunch of my own gear recently with an old sewing machine i picked up on gumtree. I might give one of these a go and see what i can come up with.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I've ordered some neoprene sheet and straps and shit from EBay already anyway as it'll also give me something to do, but that 3D printing bizz sounds interesting.

Maybe I'll get in the Coon carrier today? SMS incoming!

You can buy webbing and buckles on ebay easily. Ive been making a bunch of my own gear recently with an old sewing machine i picked up on gumtree. I might give one of these a go and see what i can come up with.
Interested to see what you rig up.

They provided plenty of good images from various angles.
I was pretty much gonna try and replicate it, looks quite simple.

Last edited:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
1st Prototype

Had a go today with a spare mount and some webbing, clips and cordura that I had in the scraps bin.

Before
Before.jpg
During
during.jpg
Finished product
after.jpg
On Helmet
mounted.jpg

seems sturdy enough but the proof will be putting a camera on it and doing a run.