DJ suggestions - entry level

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Firstly, sorry for doubling up a little bit with posts (I've asked other questions on here for guidance and it has landed me here).

I would like to buy my step-son (10 years old) a dirt jumper style bike (as he likes this frame type). This is where I need some suggestions... Basically I am after something that is around $700ish, disc brakes, front suspension fork, gears and some capabilities of doing a bit of easy XC (single track with some uphill).

I would like to buy local if possible so I can get the boy measured up properly, and therefore am limited to Norco, Specialized, GT, Malvern Star, Mongoose, Merida, Felt, Focus and Scott.

I went to one LBS today and they suggested a Specialized Slope (not sure which model) which was about $800, however I cannot find it online? Are there any other bikes in particular that are good value at around this price?

Looking forward to any suggestions you may have.

Cheers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dirt jumpers don't usually come in a lot of sizes. Most have single speed and are not usually compatible with gears.

Check out the lower end Norco bikes like the ryde (no gears but sell specd )

http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike15-norco-ryde-26-black

The magnum mentioned earlier loooks alright as well.

http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike15-norco-magnum-yellow

Gt used to have a bike called the chucker which wod be sweet. They now have this:

http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike16-gt-bump-24in-dj-red

Your cash will go a long way on second hand.

something to think on - at that size he is hardly going to be putting the hurt on a bike, so you could shave a lot of grams...slcylu could take almost any frame that matches the sort of geo your step son likes the look of and work with it

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Scott Voltage. Used to make a geared version of their DJ, now the geared frame is caught between DJ and XC.

Specialized P Series. Just pure DJ bikes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Scott Voltage. Used to make a geared version of their DJ, now the geared frame is caught between DJ and XC.

Specialized P Series. Just pure DJ bikes.
Here is your new (old) bike...

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/26-mountain-bikes/scott/nsw/morisset/voltage-yz-30/100313308

It is a weighty beast! You could roll the savings over into some better quality parts as your squid's skills progress.

This caught my eye as well:

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/26-mountain-bikes/apollo/vic/campbellfield/gauntlet/100149131

Same scenario...dollars saved = upgrades.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Visually it is easy on the eye. Spec looks reasonable for the money.
Yeah, I don't mind it. I've narrowed it down to that, a Mongoose Fireball and a GT Bump (all available locally). The GT Bump may be the way to go though, it is available in a 24" wheel set which may be more appropriate for his age/height and will still hopefully last a couple years before he outgrows it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, I don't mind it. I've narrowed it down to that, a Mongoose Fireball and a GT Bump (all available locally). The GT Bump may be the way to go though, it is available in a 24" wheel set which may be more appropriate for his age/height and will still hopefully last a couple years before he outgrows it.
Can the frame and fork take 26 inch wheels? If so...win. Just switch up the rims when he is a bit bigger.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Can the frame and fork take 26 inch wheels? If so...win. Just switch up the rims when he is a bit bigger.
Wow, never thought of that! The fork is the same on both models so front fork is probably a yes. Not sure how to check the back though? The chainstay on the 26" model is an extra 30 odd millimetres longer though so I'm assuming that means the 26" wheels on the 24" frame model would be a bit tight. Awesome suggestion though!

The young fella sat on Haro (DJ of some sort) today and fell in love with it. Not a bad price/spec but only single speed :/ still considering it though. Less to go wrong with single speed, although harder to ride if he wants to do a bit of XC with me.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wow, never thought of that! The fork is the same on both models so front fork is probably a yes. Not sure how to check the back though? The chainstay on the 26" model is an extra 30 odd millimetres longer though so I'm assuming that means the 26" wheels on the 24" frame model would be a bit tight. Awesome suggestion though!

The young fella sat on Haro (DJ of some sort) today and fell in love with it. Not a bad price/spec but only single speed :/ still considering it though. Less to go wrong with single speed, although harder to ride if he wants to do a bit of XC with me.
I would ask the shop "can I fit a 26inch wheel in this frame?" Then get them to put one in for a double check...they are the "experts".

Which haro? Tricky thing in buying bikes for kids, they can't separate themselves from visual love enough to pick the best spec...also worth considering that a single speed bike will probably:
- require less maintenance (and the drive you'll get on the low end bikes isn't going to be much chop...skipping gears etc) and there is less to break in a crash.
- have better spec in other areas as the manufacturer has not needed to spread their small amount of cash across a wider field.

Kids are all different, but it is uncommon to find one that wants to pedal all day long. Usually a short ride to the jumps and tunr on the smiles. Though one of my friend's son's recently won some kind of bike race at his school on a box with the seat slammed. Apparently he stood up the whole way and slayed the kids on more suited bikes with determination.

And I knowcits been mentioned, but for your $500-600 a second hand bike would be well specced and much lighter. Probably.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I would ask the shop "can I fit a 26inch wheel in this frame?" Then get them to put one in for a double check...they are the "experts".

Which haro? Tricky thing in buying bikes for kids, they can't separate themselves from visual love enough to pick the best spec...also worth considering that a single speed bike will probably:
- require less maintenance (and the drive you'll get on the low end bikes isn't going to be much chop...skipping gears etc) and there is less to break in a crash.
- have better spec in other areas as the manufacturer has not needed to spread their small amount of cash across a wider field.

Kids are all different, but it is uncommon to find one that wants to pedal all day long. Usually a short ride to the jumps and tunr on the smiles. Though one of my friend's son's recently won some kind of bike race at his school on a box with the seat slammed. Apparently he stood up the whole way and slayed the kids on more suited bikes with determination.

And I knowcits been mentioned, but for your $500-600 a second hand bike would be well specced and much lighter. Probably.
Yeah you're making sense. I was thinking last night it's probably best to get a single speed. I think the components at that price would just cause dramas. He will still be able to have a bit of fun on the trails with me.

The haro was a Steel Reserve 1.2 (same as this http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?295461-Haro-Steel-Reserve-1-2-used-once-550) but he is asking more than I initially thought. Agreed 2nd hand is still a better option but logistically everything seems to far away and cost of collecting or courier outweighs the savings.

Last edited:

ogjon

Likes Dirt
The Haro steel reserve is a good bike, do you have Giant bikes available near you? As a Giant STP would be goid as they can come both single speed & geared

I'm 33 & have no problem riding a 20" BMX & I'm currently building a 24" Dj bike

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
The Haro steel reserve is a good bike, do you have Giant bikes available near you? As a Giant STP would be goid as they can come both single speed & geared

I'm 33 & have no problem riding a 20" BMX & I'm currently building a 24" Dj bike
Good to know. Still looking around for 2nd hand but thie Haro will probably be my back up option. Giant are available a couple hours drive from me but I don't think STP's are made anymore?

ogjon

Likes Dirt
STP's are still being made just not available locally in Aus, America still gets them but it's not that hard to get one sent over here

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Time for some closure!!!
No closure yet as I've been moving :(

I'm honestly thinking of low balling both LBS's and seeing if they will bite. One has a Norco Ryde in stock and the other has a Haro Steel. I'm leaning towards the Haro though. Seems a better spec.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm in total suspense now! will there be haggle? will there ever even be a bike? we havent even got to helmets...

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I'm in total suspense now! will there be haggle? will there ever even be a bike? we havent even got to helmets...
Okay enough suspense.

Sorted a Haro Steel Reserve 1.2 through the LBS. They did a pretty good deal and the bike is pretty well spec'd.