DJ3 Questions - Problems

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Hey girls and guys, i'm interested in buying a second hand pair of DJ3's for about $400. is it worth it? I'm starting to think twice about it, because i heard that the crown cracks. what other problems do you have/have you heard about the dj3's?
what other second hand forks could i get for $400 that have 130mm travel, DJ3 seems like the only sollution...
help out the farkin guru! tee hee hee

thanks

dazonic

Likes Dirt
$400 bucks you could probably find a better deal. But they're good forks for street riding, awesome actually. I wouldn't ever ride them down a trail though. Look for some 2001 z.1 drop-offs. They should be around that price

wombat

Lives in a hole
peachy said:
I'm starting to think twice about it, because i heard that the crown cracks. what other problems do you have/have you heard about the dj3's?
I know of people with DJ forks which have snapped stanchions, steerers, crowns, and even broken off dropouts.

What it comes down to though is the fact that you can break just about anything if you try hard enough. Most of the breakages were from some very talented street riders (and some not so talented ones). There was a lot of Marz bashing going on, but the truth was that they were still probably the best single crown forks going around, although the Fox Vanillas are reported to be very very good.

Having said all that though, there were two major flaws in most of Marzocchi's forks. Firstly, the integrated fender idea: a brillant way to stuff a good crown design, so check for cracks around there. Secondly, the cryofit crown: a lot of people had problems with them creaking as the stanchions became loose in the crown so that's another one to check.

Final comment: the DJ series were designed for dirt jumping (duh) and are also good for things like street. They are not however as good a trail fork as something like the Z1 series, because the damping system in the DJ forks is designed for behaving well over jumps, not for being supple down a rock strewn trail. Something to consider.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
what nakes u think next years will be any better? they always seem to have a least a couple of problems....
my DJ3's have lasted a couple of months and r still goin strong

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
wombat said:
Final comment: the DJ series were designed for dirt jumping (duh) and are also good for things like street. They are not however as good a trail fork as something like the Z1 series, because the damping system in the DJ forks is designed for behaving well over jumps, not for being supple down a rock strewn trail. Something to consider.
Yep, that's exactly right. They are brilliant for jumping, and when you pump up the air preload they feel really hard and wicked when you hit a kicker, and they'll have the travel to back you up if you overshoot the landing or are flat landing or whatever. As for plush and supple trail performance they are a bit of a let down. I'm still running them on my stinky, and it does piss me off a bit that they didn't spec z1's on it instead as they would've been a much more appropriate fork I reckon.

They're a good fork, but just don't expect 'em to be too plush. Remember the name: "Dirt Jumper".

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
01_250 said:
they might not be,
but i do the same sort of jumps andrew and hugh have so i dont wanna risk it.
have andrew and hugh broke theirs? whereabouts?

dazonic

Likes Dirt
dj3s

i think you'd have to be totally hardcore before worrying about breaking any decent forks. I've been going spastic on my DJ3's for about 6 months-hundreds of 6, 7 foot drops to flat, big jumps, shit landings, nose dives, about 20x 30 minute downhill runs... and they're as good as they are the day i got them. Some wanker in the 'states nose dives a 12m dirt jump and breaks his forks, and then rumours fly all round the world that these forks 'tend to break'... When the product gets recalled, then you start to worry.

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Re: dj3s

dazonic said:
i think you'd have to be totally hardcore before worrying about breaking any decent forks. I've been going spastic on my DJ3's for about 6 months-hundreds of 6, 7 foot drops to flat, big jumps, shit landings, nose dives, about 20x 30 minute downhill runs... and they're as good as they are the day i got them. Some wanker in the 'states nose dives a 12m dirt jump and breaks his forks, and then rumours fly all round the world that these forks 'tend to break'... When the product gets recalled, then you start to worry.
2 months before my dj3's cracked in 2 places at the crown (well, 2 months before i noticed). i only used them for dirtjumps, rarely cased (never badly), never nosecased, never flatlanded. same thing happened to oa friend (peters on the board), 2 cracks in exactly the same place. took them to a mech and he said hes seen lots (dj1's 2's and 3's) all crack in the same way. who knows, maybe we are just totally hardcore

mr whippy

Likes Dirt
what? someones importing dodgy dirtjumpers? andrews got me worried now. i got some 03 dj2's, and their still goin strong. if they can take me into next year i'll be stoked. :)

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt

andrew said:
2 months before my dj3's cracked in 2 places at the crown (well, 2 months before i noticed). i only used them for dirtjumps, rarely cased (never badly), never nosecased, never flatlanded. same thing happened to oa friend (peters on the board), 2 cracks in exactly the same place. took them to a mech and he said hes seen lots (dj1's 2's and 3's) all crack in the same way. who knows, maybe we are just totally hardcore
What happened with 'em? Did you get it sorted under warranty or anything?

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt

bassmonkey said:
andrew said:
sending them in tomorrow, we will see what happens

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt

bassmonkey said:
andrew said:
sending them in tomorrow, we will see what happens