Do I always need to match the rear travel with the fork?

LoveB

Likes Dirt
Ok newbie question, I'm doing up my first FS bike so I've got a few questions re suspension.

It's the xplore I got from beno which has 5-6' rear travel. I'm also getting a fox 36 for the bike. Some people told me to match the rear travel of the bito the front. 6' is about 152 and the fox is 160 so thats just right I believe. However, I do like riding XC and most of the trails I'm gonna be taking the bike to (I'm bringing it home overseas) are XC rides with climbs.

Is there anything wrong with having 6' travel at the rear and having like 120-140mm up front? I was thinking around 120-130 ideally. I'm sure climbing on a 160 is doable. Maybe just harder and slower.

So basically, yeah, do I need to match the front forks travel with the rear? or am I fine running a shorter travel up front so as not to kill me during climbs? thanks!!

Or should I HTFU and learn to love climbing on a 160 lol

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope perfectly fine. 160mm+ forks are harder to climb with, But down will be nicer. Travel adjust forks make life easy too.

LoveB

Likes Dirt
Cool beans. Thanks for that. Yeah, the fox are still the vanillas so no way to adjust them on the go. So will see how I go with it on 160 then will lower it in the future. Thinking 130-140 would be good for ups and downs.