Do i need a NEW BIKE?

i have a 09 giant glory dh0 and im using it on DH, sometimes doing MTB and also i use it when going to my school in thornlie w.a(off peak hours) i notice that when im in the train going to a station near in my school the people in the train stare at me..(??) is there something wrong using my bike in the flat surface/road?? do i need to buy a new bike? any comments will much appreciated. CHEERS!

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:clap2: Ha ha that's awesome!
Yes the general public just aren't used to seeing DH bikes up close and in person! Mind you if they're bike riders they're probably just staring in awe.

Hope you've got good insurance? If not I would worry about theft big time if taking something like that to school, even a KMart bike is attractive to thieves, yours must be like 1000 x more attractive even if they don't know how much it's worth...it's got front and back shocks man, they're probably get a silid $100 for it!!

If it's insured against theft outside the home then do what you want and enjoy the strange looks, people don't normally commute on DH bikes but there isn't any reason why you can't...just resons why it might be better not to. But if it's not insured I'd be looking at something else just to take to school and commute with. Just means you can't show off your DH rig to your school mates then though and you won't get as many strange looks :biggrin: I think you'd get some looks with any bike though, the way I see it an object like a bike just gives people something to focus on and stare at....it is rude to stare at people after all.

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Mate if that's the least you have to worry about on the train your lucky. Some states you wouldn't even have to worry about it getting pinched at school ( which btw way I think is a good point being made in the second post) but worry about getting knocked over on the train or station for it.

I say screw what other people think bud, it's a free world and you ain't doing nothing illegal or immoral. Enjoy.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
What Pebble said +1.

A single speed street bike like NS or a 09 STP should be your choice of school/home transport...

It will surely be a downer if you damage a thoroughbred like a Glory 09.

OH, BTW, STPs offer a variety of configurations that cater to broad range of riding styles. I'm about to embark on a shared STP project. :)

driftking

Wheel size expert
A pair of bolt cutters will get through almost anything so even bike locks are not 100% secure, however locking the bike up brings up insurance and id be fairly confident in saying you would not be covered if you didnt lock it up.
As for the dh on the flat, no issues at all, you might wear out your off road tyres faster and generally grip will be less on road as the nobs wont have anything to grip into. Try ride on the grass when ever you can to limit your tyre wear.. the only disadvantages come to the rider as it is a heavier bike that does not pedal that well. A hard tail would be better, even a cheap 2nd hand BMX to travel around on would be best and easier. Plus a cheap second hand biek getting stolen is better than your expensive DH bike.

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
even if you just get a cheap comuter bike it will save you money because a downhill bike uses a soft compound in the tires which wears down quickly on the road, not to mention all the lost power due to pedal bob etc. and the answer is deffinatly yes

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was going to reply with a solid no except that you ride it to school...

If your riding around everywhere and take it on trains etc. then no need for a new bike, people stare because whilst MTB'ing is growing, it's not that big of a sport.

However I would not leave a bike like that unattended anywhere else but my own house. Even if it was cheap, it's such a big target because it's comfy, looks flash, and it's uncommon. Probably best to build/buy a second bike for school if you can afford it.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I would back my bolt cutters over that lock any day! Now, when do you go back to school:biggrin:

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
a downhill bike uses a soft compound in the tires which wears down quickly on the road,
Technically, it really depends on whether you have either soft or hard compound tires. I have minions, of which are suited for downhill, and they are actually really hard compound tires. My dad got them for me because they were (obviously) going to take longer to wear out than soft compound tires, but with the downside of less traction... Used these tyres for about a year and a half now, (riding it on the road too!) and still no where near the point whereas it would need a replacement.

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
Technically, it really depends on whether you have either soft or hard compound tires. I have minions, of which are suited for downhill, and they are actually really hard compound tires. My dad got them for me because they were (obviously) going to take longer to wear out than soft compound tires, but with the downside of less traction... Used these tyres for about a year and a half now, (riding it on the road too!) and still no where near the point whereas it would need a replacement.
Sorry i just assumed that most use a softer compound. Ma Bad

what kind of maxxis tire are you taking about?can i use it on and off road? my minion both front and rear are 40% tread left and im plannig to buy a pair of tires can you reccommend me a tire that can be used on/off road.

driftking

Wheel size expert
what kind of maxxis tire are you taking about?can i use it on and off road? my minion both front and rear are 40% tread left and im plannig to buy a pair of tires can you reccommend me a tire that can be used on/off road.
You need to recognize that a intermediate style tire (one that can be used on road and dirt) is not going to excel at either, and instead of been great at one will be average at both, If you are planing on still riding on the road you are better getting a DH tire with a hard compound. The only thing is once again the harder compound will reduce off road traction, although will increase rolling resistance.

You can also go with a 3C style compound tire where the center of the tire runs a harder compound and gets softer as it gets to the side nobs. Basically this may help with reducing wear on the the road as you primarily should be riding in the center of the tire with little to no side nob use. The softer compound side nobs will help keep traction during corners off road.

Personally for this situation I would go with a 3C style tire for your required use of road and off road for a DH bike.

M2C

You need to recognize that a intermediate style tire (one that can be used on road and dirt) is not going to excel at either, and instead of been great at one will be average at both, If you are planing on still riding on the road you are better getting a DH tire with a hard compound. The only thing is once again the harder compound will reduce off road traction, although will increase rolling resistance.

You can also go with a 3C style compound tire where the center of the tire runs a harder compound and gets softer as it gets to the side nobs. Basically this may help with reducing wear on the the road as you primarily should be riding in the center of the tire with little to no side nob use. The softer compound side nobs will help keep traction during corners off road.

Personally for this situation I would go with a 3C style tire for your required use of road and off road for a DH bike.

M2C
Awesome!Thank you i really appreciate:) thanks

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Commuting on a DH bike is a pain in the ass. I rode mine to uni for a few weeks. Then I realised that by spending a couple of hours getting my XC bike back to rideable condition, I could cut my commute time by about 30%. Which meant 7 more minutes to sleep in. Those 7 minutes are a beautiful thing. A DH bike is the antichrist of commuting options. Even hit up revolve, find some POS XC bike, put on new tires pumped to bursting point and commute on that. The nasty geo, shitty gear changes and various noises will be very forgiveable for that 7 minutes sleep.

Also, if you have vaguely decent DH tires, commuting will kill them. That sound when you get up to decent speed, which kinda sounds like rubber rubbing on something, is infact rubber rubbing on tarmac. You are basically blue grooving the tarmac, which is a waste of time and rubber.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your school doesn't have some sort of fenced in bike area then I'd personally worry too much even with those locks.

Way back when I was going to school (Canberra) the bike area was fenced and locked until school was finished, I was on my trusty BigW Dunlop mtb lol, anyway even with the locked "bike shed" it didn't stop turds letting down tires before you got there or whatever else. ( that was back when Cadel was an awesome XC rider :biggrin: )

It's fine having locks, but if anyone can access your bike and the area is not either secure or supervised then it wouldn't take much effort to steel something...or your mates to play some stupid pranks on you.

I'm thinking you've got your wheels and frame secured so that leaves your brakes, handlebar, stem, seat post, seat, shock, maybe even cranks and pedals up for grabs!!! Oh even the fork actually. And not too many tools would be required really...allen key set mainly and a shifter.
Lol I'm not a thief I just know how relatively simple it is to pull a bike apart!

i just do 700meters from our house upto train station and approximately 1km from station that i set-off upto my Uni. and it didn't give me a sweat, the thing that i worried about is the theft!' so far i do that routine for 3months nothing happens. for now.. crossfinger it wont be stolen