Do i need a NEW BIKE?

rone

Eats Squid
The only time you should have a DH bike at school is if your school is at the top of a big hill and you get shuttled there in the morning.

Rasatouche

Likes Bikes
+1 for the hardtail commute fun bike deal thing derp :p.

I used to do the school run on an STP, wicked fun compared to a dually. Every curb becomes a massive jump you can really pop off and practice popping off lips as oppsed to just ploughing over them. Really easy to ride in comparison (even single speed), lighter, faster to accelerate, easier to bunny hop / 180 / whatever. Not to mention you wear out your DH bike less, chains, cassettes, shocks will all last longer if you're not using it daily. Not to mention the rolling resistance on something like minions (Sprint, get to speed, relax, lose all speed after like 20 meters, repeat). Now I do some commuting (the occasional ride to work I guess when I'm not feeling lazy ... which isn't very often) on a flat bar road bike. Less effort gets me to work faster and with less dying of exhaustion. But if you want to ride the DH bike, just do it, best case scenario you'll meet a fellow rider who'll be like, sick glory dude lets go shuttle aye :p. Worst case it gets nicked, but if you've got decent lock / insurance / don't lock it up in a poorly lit alley, this risk is minimised. My guess is like the other people have said, people don't usually see DH bikes around. I mean i've had mates over, who know I ride, come and look and my bike and basically go 'shit, it's a moto without an engine isn't it?'. Like they can't comprehend a pushbike that's just so badass :p.

So to answer your question, yes, you always need another bike (I've settled on 4 as the ideal number now personally :p, being DH shuttler, a DJ, commute bike & an all mountian / xc / trail whatever bike which is currently a norco truax for my fat ass-ness). The world opens up once you get more than one bike :D.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for the advice i will buy a k-mart bike :D on fri.
Lol, I wouldn't be surprised if the kmart bike is even more likely to get stolen :biggrin: but at least it would matter less...well it's like the cost of your seat or something ha ha.

Yeah I reckon for 2km riding is probably not worth the risk of leaving your DH rig locked up somewhere all day, unless you can convince one of the teachers to keep it in their office.

An STP really isn't a bad idea, they can be had for relatively cheap 2nd hand ($500). but it depends weather you'd take it riding other than going to school.
Well I guess even a BMX would do the job? More compact to take on the train with you too! Providing you're not in a rush time wise, I'm not sure if riding a bmx would be any slower than riding a DH bike, it would be fine for a short distance, you probably wouldn't want to do it for more than a couple of km I guess.....just throwing ideas around.

J

JaRedy

Don't buy a K-mart bike man. If you're going to get another bike at least do it properly. The problem with those K-mart bikes is you wont have many upgrade options. A cheap fork means you cant get disc mounts...also means you cant get an oversize stem and bars. If the BB is a cheapy then you cant buy DH/XC cranks or ever fit a chain guide. You'll regret it!

Last time I checked giant "Boulder"s and GT "Avalanche"s are about $500 new and they are awesome commuters. Or as others have said, there is plenty of STP's and other common bikes for about $400-600 2nd hand.

...well it's like the cost of your seat or something ha ha...
Hah, yeah, the pedals im running on my commuter cost more than what I paid for the entire bike!