Do I need a stand to build a wheel?

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know there are a few threads on wheel building and stands, but none answered the above question.

I want to rebuild a rear road wheel for a single speed, and want to do it myself for a bit of a challenge and fun, but want to know if I really need a stand? I just had a look over some instructions about lacing and it appears for this stage, you don't use a stand.

I guess the truing/tensioning stage would be easier with a stand, but could this not be done on the bike?

I am not after the *best* way, just if it is possible to do it like this.

Any other tips for a novice would be appreciated. From other threads, it would appear that this book: http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
will be useful, so i will get it.

thanks.

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
ive built about 10 wheels now and havent used a stand yet. i build it tension it then put it on the bike and make sure that it is true and not of set and yea, i think its a better method then spending hundreds on a stand.
tips: make sure you do the same amount of revolutions on all spoke nipples this helps alot to get the wheel straight first time.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nah you don't need a stand, it's just easier/faster with one.

chuck a couple of zip ties around the frame to give you a more accurate gauge than using the brake pads. ;)

fooch

Likes Bikes
You could also make your own stand with a cheap/discarded frame (look in dumpsters behind bikeshops?) and a saw-horse. Building wheels in a functioning frame is just a little more difficult because there's so much stuff in the way, and because you have to secure the bike so it's stable...... if you can make your own for next to no cash outlay, that would be the best of both worlds.