Do platforms on clipless pedals really make any difference?

Stefan

Likes Bikes
I used to ride with M520s (no platform), got back into riding after a few years with some m785s (platform) and have now started riding the M520s again. I expected to feel a difference from the lack of platform.

I don't.

My shoes are pretty stiff-soled Specialized. If I clip the shoes into each type of pedal I can barely flex them and can't see any situation where the platform could make any difference.

Are the 'advantages' of platform pedals only applicable to soft-soled shoes or am I missing something?

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find doing sections that are challenging unclipping feels better, in which case an xt trail is better to stand on than race pedal, and i use hard soled mavic trail shoes. If you are not overly challenged by the trails you ride and/or dont feel the need to be unclipped for challenging section then stick to race versions.

Stefan

Likes Bikes
Good point, but (with my shoes anyway) the shoe cleats still mash against the clipless interface and don't allow any other part of the shoe to contain the platform.

AngryDave

Likes Bikes
For me, the main advantage of the platform was to give you something to put you foot on if you come unclipped/ unclipped yourself. If you're using hard soled xc shoes and riding xc, there really isn't much of an advantage (I'm assuming you don't fang about corners with one foot unclipped like a downhiller) except making it a little easier to get the pedal flat to clip in.

It depends a lot on how stiff your shoes are...

I have some flexible-soled shoes which are pretty much sneakers with SPDs - the pedals with platforms feel much better with these. The flex in the sole means the tread of the shoe does contact the platform.

Hard-soled shoes, where there is very little flex in the sole - the platform makes no difference. Even when clipped out I don't feel any more secure on wide platforms (e.g. M424) or just spds (eg M540) as the hardness of the sole, and the metal cleat in the middle, means the shoe doesn't sit properly on any pedal.

Oldas

Likes Dirt
I used to wonder this to.

Used the crankbros candy pedals when I started before switching to eggbeaters. I like the less is more feel. I think it's more a mental/confidence thing where the rider feels more secure with a small platform. I have not really had a soft soled XC shoe so can't say how it would differ but I wouldn't think much.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
My thoughts on this r still out.

The only shoes I have are shimano AM45 and also hard sole XC. I can't feel the platform cage around the pedal. So I went back to M540. Even on my down hill setup.

XC wise platform clips are a waste of time and just serve to reduce ground clearance.

Last edited:

mimps

Likes Dirt
Handy if you want to ride your bike down to the shops. Ive got CB mallets on my commuter so ive got that options.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I find them pretty much useless. If you unclip you don't get a solid placement on the platform anyway because of the stiff sole and cleat so staying clipped is far better on techy stuff. The platform just adds weight and is an extra thing to break.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Had XT trails for a test... have switched back to XT race.... the platform just hits on things

I don't see how platforms would help out of the saddle efforts on a singlespeed (I ride 90% SS)