do Pro downhill riders have diets

jbrandy

Likes Bikes
I was just having an argument with someone about whether pro downhillers are placed on a special diet?
i didnt think they were cause i have heard that Steve Peat drinks a lot of beer:p
And so dose just about all the rest i guess
So yeah would there teams but them on it or would the coach say you need to be on one?

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just needed to reply because my Avatar is better than yours!!!

Like any elite athlete, these guys would have very stict training/diet regimes.

I pump iron four times a week - yet still drink beer. Peaty is an inspiration!

Being in peak phys condition certainly will help in the long run, and diet would be considerable portion.

Arcarsenal

Cannon Fodder
Yeh, I reckon because they are under sponsorship from companies there would be alot of pressure on them. Also, personally I'm sure guys like Peat and Gracia would want to be on a diet regime. This is their life and they'd want to be giving it everything they've got and do everything they can to help it.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like Sutek mentioned they're elite athletes.

All elite athletes look after their bodies very well. Certain gyms exercises, right amount of sleep. warming-up and stretching before an event then warming down. the amount of water drank, not too much and not too little. dieting is just one part of the whole keeping-body-in-shape thing.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
i dunno. Nico was pretty big on the whole strict training regime and stuff, almost like a roadie, where a lot of the guys around then where all about not giving a shit. dont know whether its similar now, but i cant see peaty consuming anything other than fish and chips and warm beer, and certainly cant see rennie measuring out his pasta to keep his carbs under control...

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But I guess down hilling is a lil' more relaxed than other sports It's just 3 minutes of pushing yourself to the limit(but thats still really hard :p) while you get sports like AFL which are are a ridiculously long game so they're more physically demanding. So they have to be that bit stricter with their trainning, conditioning and whatever.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
But I guess down hilling is a lil' more relaxed than other sports It's just 3 minutes of pushing yourself to the limit(but thats still really hard :p) while you get sports like AFL which are are a ridiculously long game so they're more physically demanding. So they have to be that bit stricter with their trainning, conditioning and whatever.
i dont know, its impossible to compare such different sports in terms of physical exertion. they're completely different and they use your energy systems in completely different ways.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
But I guess down hilling is a lil' more relaxed than other sports It's just 3 minutes
And the 100 meter sprint is only 10seconds......

You'll find most of the top guys need to watch what they eat, especially with all the travelling they do.

Binaural

Eats Squid
i dunno. Nico was pretty big on the whole strict training regime and stuff, almost like a roadie, where a lot of the guys around then where all about not giving a shit. dont know whether its similar now, but i cant see peaty consuming anything other than fish and chips and warm beer, and certainly cant see rennie measuring out his pasta to keep his carbs under control...
Then again, Nicho schooled both of them when he was racing. At the highest levels you have to work hard for any advantage, and a good diet is necessary if you want the best performance out of your body. I'd guess that the likes of Peaty and Rennie watch what they eat carefully, but still have a few beers when they want.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
If you watch some interviews, rennie and hill both say that feeling shit is normal on the circuit because they dont have a proper diet and have to eat when and where they can.

Dont forget that the sport is not what it used to be, there is less sponsorship and spectators so to assume that the companies are putting more pressure on riders is unfounded. I just dont think they have to funding to be that precise and anal about their food.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
If you watch some interviews, rennie and hill both say that feeling shit is normal on the circuit because they dont have a proper diet and have to eat when and where they can.

Dont forget that the sport is not what it used to be, there is less sponsorship and spectators so to assume that the companies are putting more pressure on riders is unfounded. I just dont think they have to funding to be that precise and anal about their food.
Credric Gracia says he is pretty particular about not eating much meat. During race season he goes basically vego with a bit of chicken thrown in.

If you are going to be on top of your game you have to watch what you eat whether your sponsors put pressure on you or not.

eternalgorias

Likes Dirt
Dims sims and coke----haha nice.

Next time sam interviews a rider he should ask them about their diet :) . I can't imagine a DH rider counting carbs the same way a RD rider or XC enduro rider would, it just seems unnecessary. If they eat healthily all the time I doubt DH pros would have to worry about calourie intake etc.