Do you listen to music when shredding? What are you listening to?

Rambodian

Likes Bikes
It's funny this thread came up, I was only thinking it would be good to have some tunes on the trail. I've got an older 2gig ipod that would be perfect for chucking a play list on, the only thing is finding headphones that stay on and are comfy.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I've always been very anti headphones - bit silly when you need to be hearing things etc.

But - recently have occasionally popped in my IEMs and chucked my iPhone on shuffle for my commute home, as its all bike path and no cars to deal with. Turns out to be quite enjoyable, especially after a shit day at work.

Am yet to experiment on the trails, but will do the next solo ride. Most times though I enjoy solo rides for the quite - turn the world off for a while and just enjoy the moment.

I use Nuforce in ear monitors, I like their tonal qualities - especially when fed lossless files. In ears are the way to go, got into them when I commuted by train in Melbourne and they block out the idiots nicely! These days I use them at work mostly, block out the office when I'm trying to get some work done...

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
I've always been very anti headphones - bit silly when you need to be hearing things etc.

But - recently have occasionally popped in my IEMs and chucked my iPhone on shuffle for my commute home, as its all bike path and no cars to deal with. Turns out to be quite enjoyable, especially after a shit day at work.

Am yet to experiment on the trails, but will do the next solo ride. Most times though I enjoy solo rides for the quite - turn the world off for a while and just enjoy the moment.

I use Nuforce in ear monitors, I like their tonal qualities - especially when fed lossless files. In ears are the way to go, got into them when I commuted by train in Melbourne and they block out the idiots nicely! These days I use them at work mostly, block out the office when I'm trying to get some work done...
Dunno about Canberra but the bike paths in Melbourne are busy with all sorts of random people who have no idea how the system works (keep left) and a lot of them are doing it with earphones on oblivious to the world around them. I don't wear earphones while commuting because it helps me cater for these people (it's easier to know when they haven't heard my bell).
On the trails I like the sounds of the bush and the riding. It's a big part of the reason I'm out there. So no earphones while riding for me.

Haakon

Canberra bike trails are pretty quite when it's cold, and if you're careful I think the risk is minimal.

No way I would on the roads though - Canberra is a very bike unfriendly place to ride on the roads... Lots of rednecks and right wing shock jock listening tools.

I also enjoy the bush for what it is. Depends on your mood though, I can see some tunes being fun sometimes. Dunno - shall report back :)

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Used to wear earbuds but not so much lately. Couple of near misses, then I started just having one in so you can still hear. Still like having tunes while I ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Music in the bush

I love listing to music when I'm riding the mont24 and the Fling,
no earbuds - the guy pumping out the guitar solos standing on a pallet in the middle of the forest at 3am.
or there are half a dozen ferals under a lean-to at the top of Brokeback Mountain pounding bongos.

- carpetrunner

I was thinking or putting some speakers on my bike, but i don't know if anyone would like to hear my type of music lol. At least it would be safer than wearing headphones. Might be able to find a mini portable subwoofer and cable tie it somewhere too. Has anyone seen anyone with speakers on their bike? Would be cool when riding down the youies by myself. If you hear some doof doof around the trails at you yangs it might be me! :rockon:

markgab

Likes Dirt
I use a mini portable speaker when riding trails.
X-mini ME, it has really impressive sound and bass :)
Soundtracks = hardstyle

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Doesn't bother me if others wear earphones when riding but I ride to get out in nature and hear the sounds. I also like to hear cars and other things on the commute between trails.
The thing that really shits me is during a race when people have earphones in. I had a bloke with earphones in cruising around at a lap based race last year - he couldn't hear you come up behind him and couldn't even hear me shouting - multiple times. In the end I had to crash through the bush to get around him - I also reported him to the race officials and he was made to remove his earphones as others had complained too.

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Never on the roads just way to dangerous you need to hear cars approaching. The in-bud earphones tend to lock out any sound peripheral to the earphone.
As tempting as music while riding is even on bike tracks you need to hear other riders from behind to ensure you give way.
It amazes me the amount of riders riding around on the road with earphones in?

In the bush - I tried this riding in ACT trails midweek when not busy but stopped after I found it drained my battery way to quick on the phone.
As I normally ride the 15-20K's to the trail and I thought if I stack that battery power might be needed for a phone call to bail me out.

The speaker thing could be an option for the trails worth exploring as its likely you would still hear a riding shouting to get out of the way, especially if it runs its own power.

camoshop

Banned
Sometimes when I'm limping home I'll have the iPhone on loud speaker but not up in the bush, you need to listen out for crazy 4wds and moto ride red that may clean you up if you're not paying attention.

Haakon

Gave it a go today at Kowen in the spirit of experimentation.

Dunno. I can see the appeal, in the right mood.

I found it interesting as a lesson in how much I use sound for riding though! Felt very disconnected from the bike, and it dented confidence.

For example, it turns out I use sound a lot to gauge the tyre's traction. You can tell a bit about what's going on by the sounds of a tyre starting to let go etc that is extra info to the feel. I still set some decent times but it was a very different experience!

I think I will not wear them much in the future, took then out halfway round and felt much more comfortable just zoning out in the bush :)

But a couple of good runs though with some Royksopp going was fun :)

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry to dig up an old thread but looking to update my riding playlist to try and build enthusiasm to ride in current cold/wet conditions...

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Sorry to dig up an old thread but looking to update my riding playlist to try and build enthusiasm to ride in current cold/wet conditions...
Music tastes? Also, I'm sure most of us on here would prefer an old thread being dug up than another one being started on the same topic.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I've only just started riding listening to music.

But today I was listening to MOS Running Trac 2015 and rode 13km, while last week I was listening to Sevendust and System which resulted in 30km.

Metal FTW!

stirk

Burner
And your point or question is?

What's your favorite Color? Mine is rainbow. Black?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Music tastes? Also, I'm sure most of us on here would prefer an old thread being dug up than another one being started on the same topic.
I beg to differ. I often like to read same threads consecutively and make comparative notes on he divergent behaviours exhibited. It is rather interesting how a thread title and the first few postscan shape the way people follow. I will be publishing a graph on here soon for all to see.

stirk

Burner
I beg to differ. I often like to read same threads consecutively and make comparative notes on he divergent behaviours exhibited. It is rather interesting how a thread title and the first few postscan shape the way people follow. I will be publishing a graph on here soon for all to see.
I'll pay extra if the graph is in RGB.