Do You Name Your Bike

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
um... no. there inanimate objects !,
but i do name my wheelbarrow, my spade, a particularly cute lawnmower i have and the lounge room door, but i wont bore you with the details
I shan't touch the door handles in your house. They sound like a special possession.

stirk

Burner
um... no. there inanimate objects !,
but i do name my wheelbarrow, my spade, a particularly cute lawnmower i have and the lounge room door, but i wont bore you with the details
Dave please bore us... Wheelbarrow is a position, spade a proposition win, lawnmower could be cutting the grass , lounge room door... Does it have a knob??

To OP, only named one bike when I was 5, a plastic trike I called Toby, fuck knows why!!

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Just wondering if people out there name their bikes.... I do
I've had:

1) Ripper (an Advanti Mojo that my pants had a ripping good time with:twitch: )
2) White Warrior ( a white framed Giant XTC that kept soldiering on no matter what)
3) Black Beauty ( another Giant XTC in black, she is soooo beautiful!!!! )

If you name your's let us know....
I'll admit to it. 2 of the 3 weren't intentional, they just kind of happened.

I've got:
Corn Dog - Santa Cruz Blur - long story, and it was the third bike so it was only named to follow the trend which had developed.
Commandant - Giant Reign - Electrical tape made it the Ant, then it became a commuter and, well, you can work that one out.
Red Rattler - Giant OCR - It's red, it rattles (a lot), and I work with trains.

I'm pretty much at home with the fact that naming bikes is weird and that I'm weird, my wife tells me every day.

Beej1

I see it happen all the time on motoring threads ... mature folk who name their cars. Seems odd but whatever floats your boat or kayak or whatever.

I don't do it myself. It's 'The car' or 'My car' but she occasionally calls it 'My car' meaning 'The car' can also be 'Her car'.

I know a few people who name their cars where it doesn't seem odd, and that's because they are children.

As for bikes ... no. Not names as such. It's "The Nomad" or "The Santa Cruz" for one and "The hardtail" or "The 29er" or "The Diamondback" for the other.

Oh and "The commuter" ... which never leaves "The trainer" these days since I started riding "The hardtail" along "The trails" to work & back.

scblack

Leucocholic
Mine only gets named when I crash:
  • F*cking a*shole bike.
  • Piece of shit.

These are the names I tend to call it.

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
All our bikes have names, its just whether we choose the names given to them by a bike company, or our own.

My bike likes to punish me hard if I'm not up to the task, but rewards me with good times if I am.

Therefore her name is Veronica, and that is more fitting than Scott Scale 20.

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
When I bought my son his first mountain bike when he was about eight and we went on short rides on the tracks together, we named our bikes from that time on. Added extra excitement on the way home from the bike shop with two new bikes. I had an Giant XTC 26" and my son had a Giant XTC is the appropriate size. I called mine Thumper, for no other reason than it was a hard tail. My son named his bike Drago after a cartoon character he was keen on at the time.

We've both moved on to 27.5" Giants now. I've got a 2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.1 in all black and Nathan has a 2014 Talon. Mines Black Panther and Nathan's Black Knight. The tradition continues but we just refer to them these days as "the bikes!"