Dodgy ad on gumtree - stump jumper

cobba

Likes Dirt
Very strange ad on gumtree for a specialized stump jumper, smells like a stolen bike to me
What's strange about it and why do you think that it's stolen?
If you were trying to sell a stolen bike would you list your address?

A better link: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/delahey/bicycles/specialized-stump-jumper-cheapest-ever/1013563019

I like how he's said SMS preferred. I wonder why?:nono:
He is a she and she mightn't be in a situation where she can answer her phone when it rings or have it ringing all day.

screw loose

Likes Dirt
Yep I can agree there.
There's no denying, however, that when you want to sell a bike that's worth a few grand, it's a highly unusual to offer no real description of the item. Could be the owner's uncle selling it for him while they're overseas.

There's a good strike rate on here of people helping eachother find their stolen bikes, and it's the main reason I'd defend the actions of the OP in posting the suss item.

If no-one recognises it, it'll fade into history, ain't nobody gonna be lynching the seller for being suss.

cobba

Likes Dirt
when you want to sell a bike that's worth a few grand,
The asking price is one thing that's really wrong with the ad, $1K looks to be about the going price for a used 2008 Stumpjumper FSR Comp.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281053880812?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190795391117?

it's a highly unusual to offer no real description of the item. Could be the owner's uncle selling it for him while they're overseas.
There's ads with poor titles and descriptions all of the time, it doesn't automatically make them stolen. The situation you've listed could be right or
Jenny (the seller) might of broke up with her boyfriend who owed her some money, he might of said take my bike and sell it it's worth a couple of grand (even though it isn't) .

There's a good strike rate on here of people helping eachother find their stolen bikes, and it's the main reason I'd defend the actions of the OP in posting the suss item. If no-one recognises it, it'll fade into history, ain't nobody gonna be lynching the seller for being suss.
There ain't that good a strike rate in getting stolen bikes back, if I see a dodgy bike ad I'll do a google site search for a couple of forums to see if anything comes up.

I found nzhumpy's Stolen Yeti 575 for sale on gumtree about 16 months ago, he got the bike back.

There's two things about the ad in question that makes me think that it's not stolen is.
1) thieves don't give out the address where they live
2) thieves put low prices on things so they sell quick

If someone contacts the seller then a bit more info might be found out about the bike.
More info might lead to less speculation.

0psi

Eats Squid
I agree with the nothing sus camp.

Jenny may also not be from round here, I think I know more Chinese Jenny's than any other nationality. Maybe she just no speeking da engrish too gud.

As for SMS only, I can see that. I don't usually have my phone on me at work but e-mails/PM's I can check fairly regularly.

Lastly, asking price seems higher than what it should be.

But don't stop posting up suspect ads, I'm sure there are a few people who have retrieved bikes from finding them in a dodgy ad. If just one person gets their bike back it's still better than nothing.

cobba

Likes Dirt
I think there's a benefit to posting suss ads. I wouldn't want people not to post them in fear of being shot down.
You're right there is a benefit to posting suss ads and I hope people continue to post them.

I hope you didn't think I was shooting anyone down, if my posts came across that way I didn't intend them to.