Dodgy Sellers

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
Is it just me, or are there certail people on this site selling things that seem very dodgy. By that I mean people with multiples of the same brand new item, in all sizes ranging from XS-XXL. For example the Clothing part, where brand new jerseys are being sold like this. There's been a few others. Where should the line be drawn on it? They aren't paying advertisers, yet they aren't just bike riders trying to clear room in their parts drawer for a new Hadley hub or other sexy part that they need. Thoughts? Comments? Ramblings?

andrew_o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it just me, or are there certail people on this site selling things that seem very dodgy. By that I mean people with multiples of the same brand new item, in all sizes ranging from XS-XXL. For example the Clothing part, where brand new jerseys are being sold like this. There's been a few others. Where should the line be drawn on it? They aren't paying advertisers, yet they aren't just bike riders trying to clear room in their parts drawer for a new Hadley hub or other sexy part that they need. Thoughts? Comments? Ramblings?
I think with the clothing side of selling majourity of them are grey imports.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
No that's not on and I'll go have a looksee right now, but we can't keep up with every post here on Farkin so please feel free to use the "report" button and let us know if you ever see stuff that looks sus.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Ive never noticed this before, and went and had a look at the clothing thing. My guess is some place had a massive sale and the user is looking to make some quick $$$, probably not on, but I don't think it will be a long term problem.

dolsa

Likes Dirt
Yeah i just had a look at clothing. And this one guy has around 5 threads in a row with fox jerseys all never worn and different sizes.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
No that's not on and I'll go have a looksee right now, but we can't keep up with every post here on Farkin so please feel free to use the "report" button and let us know if you ever see stuff that looks sus.
Yeh, I was thinking about doing that, but there are getting close to ten threads, just in the one clothing section, and possibly more in others, so the greater Farkin community can help nut out all the dodgy ones.

Out of curiosity, Grip, what is farkin's stance on these kind of sellers? It seems like they are grey importers, as mentioned by andrew_o.

dolsa

Likes Dirt
i heard lilnorcoboy is one.. he tried to scam my friend

Dude, there are more appropriate ways of going about reporting a dodgy seller. If he is in fact one get your friend to PM a mod and tell them the incident. Don't just throw his name out in a thread.

Grip

Just so everyone knows... we looked into the particular seller this thread was started about (smart_969 and his multiple clothing ads) and it's all OK. The gear was given to him... it IS personal gear (he is not a grey importer)... his ads have been put back up again... and you may well find a real bargain there so get in quick.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Yer, I was going to mention I don't think any importers would be selling stuff in that way:p Chances are some people run into good deals or opportunities and then look to re-sell, in some cases in can be beneficial for all involved. As long as know one is ripping off customers I think its not an issue.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
Just so everyone knows... we looked into the particular seller this thread was started about (smart_969 and his multiple clothing ads) and it's all OK. The gear was given to him... it IS personal gear (he is not a grey importer)... his ads have been put back up again... and you may well find a real bargain there so get in quick.
Fair enough then. It seemed a bit suss, but all is well again in the land of farkin.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I noticed that as well, hard not to really if your browsing the for sale. I figured it was just a regular farkin member who brought a few in bulk and wanted to make a quick buck.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there really a big issue if someone spots a good deal on the web overseas, decides to buy the stock and pay the inflated postage charges, etc to get it over here and then pass on the savings to fellow farkiners??

As long as it's doesn't turn out to be an ebay style business for anyone it seems that, other than possibly your LBS, there aren't really any losers??

Where do you draw the line between money making initiative and 'Dodgy Seller'???

Grip

Is there really a big issue if someone spots a good deal on the web overseas, decides to buy the stock and pay the inflated postage charges, etc to get it over here and then pass on the savings to fellow farkiners??

As long as it's doesn't turn out to be an ebay style business for anyone it seems that, other than possibly your LBS, there aren't really any losers??

Where do you draw the line between money making initiative and 'Dodgy Seller'???
Yes, there is a big issue actually. Farkin is supported financially by advertisers who PAY to have their businesses seen and exposed here on the site. The whole purpose of being seen here is, of course, to sell their stuff. Obviously then, if people can just use the site to expose a business through the trading area and without paying for it, our legitimate advertisers would crack the poops (quite rightly too) and simply walk away leaving Farkin without any income to pay for the bandwidth (which means bye-bye Farkin).

So to clarify things. Farkin's trading area is strictly for private deals between members. There is to be no professional trading there at all. Simple really.

If someone is buying goods just to resell them through Farkin's trading area they are trading professionally and that is NOT allowed.