Does anybody still ride bulli track?

dirt rider

Likes Dirt
bulli track

i was at tahmoor jump and there were some other mountain bikers there

i asked what tracks they been riding and they said they built some jumps and a few drops

i wouldn't mind checking this out if it is true

i later found out this isn't true from jordy
( or they are good at hiding )

®ider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
everywhere is fucken illegal to ride, just ride it....
yes i know this sounds stupid but where it the stop from the council blocking all our DH tracks?

Jordy

RYD4LF
TeamShore03 said:
everywhere is fucken illegal to ride, just ride it....
yes i know this sounds stupid but where it the stop from the council blocking all our DH tracks?
your right, it does sound stupid....and it is stupid.

no andrew its still closed, shit all over the track and barbwire fences down the bottom...I rode down it on my xc bike a couplea weeks ago

a small group of us still ride that track, yeah. last time we were there was about 3 weeks ago?

its not in that bad condition, few tree trunks you need to jump over.
everythin in wollongong is closed, it has'nt stopped us riding bulli,uni,drift etc...

mattover

Likes Bikes
ANDREWfromNOONA said:
I haven't been up there in ages, I was just wondering if anybody still rides up there? and what it's like.
You can pick your way down, but it's far from "open", and is really not the place to head for a ride. The singletrack under Corrimal mine is currently open, but who knows how long that will last...

Bulli's best traits were also its downfall. It was attractive because it was easy to find, located on a main road, able to handle a lot of riders at once (it was like Pitt St on a weekend), and catered to a range of skill levels. All these points led to it becoming extremely popular and drawing lots of negative attention.

Wollongong's riding community doesn't do itself any favours. Lots of groups build and ride unsanctioned tracks (many of them members of the local MTB club). The local club made a real mess of getting an official DH race track up and running, too.

It's a shame, but a lot of things will have to happen before the situation improves greatly for legal singletrack in the Illawarra.

timbo844

Cannon Fodder
hi I just wanted to know who has been up to brokers nose latley and if so are there rangers ect up there. what sort of activity is there?
tim

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
bulli is up and runnig!! there seens to be 2 tracks but i only ride the older one which my mate cleared out about a month ago. he says that it is the more tech of the 2 so we never ride the other. a lot of people have started to shuttle up there again but are riding the other track.
im assuming this is because they are unaware that they are both running now.:D:D:D

IMOS

Squid
You can pick your way down, but it's far from "open", and is really not the place to head for a ride. The singletrack under Corrimal mine is currently open, but who knows how long that will last...

Bulli's best traits were also its downfall. It was attractive because it was easy to find, located on a main road, able to handle a lot of riders at once (it was like Pitt St on a weekend), and catered to a range of skill levels. All these points led to it becoming extremely popular and drawing lots of negative attention.

Wollongong's riding community doesn't do itself any favours. Lots of groups build and ride unsanctioned tracks (many of them members of the local MTB club). The local club made a real mess of getting an official DH race track up and running, too.

It's a shame, but a lot of things will have to happen before the situation improves greatly for legal singletrack in the Illawarra.
I can't let some of the statements made here go without correction.

It's true that the local Illawarra riding community doesn't do itself many favours when it comes to securing access to land for legal trail building. Nothing that can't be fixed by getting involved in the advocacy process, something which until very recently has been lacking from the DH community in general.
What have YOU done to help? Easy enough to sit on the sidelines and comment on the action of others, particularly if it doesn't involve too much physical or mental effort.This is how many journo's make a living.
The WMBC doesn't condone the building or use of illegal tracks anywhere, a fact easily proved if you were aware of how much work it took to secure permission from various agencies to build an XC track at Appin. This was done by a few dedicated and passionate VOLUNTEERS. These same volunteers are currently scouring the local area for lands on which DH and freeride is legal(check the website for updates).
Nor does the club follow it's members around wagging it's collective finger and"tutt tutting"about what the members do in their own time in non-club sanctioned pursuits. These members are part of what is known as the local community, which in general are peaceful law abiding citizens.
The remark about "the local club making a real mess of getting a local DH track" is ignorant in the extreme. More facts, less hyperbole, please. These types of comments draw a lot of "negative attention" to the sport of MTB and the efforts of a very few volunteers.
Yes, a lot has to change before things improve, but,if anyone passionate about their sport is able to help out it would be greatly appreciated. More action, fewer critiques.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Thankyou IMOS for your comments above (2 posts up)
Saw this comment on previous page and was about to respond my self.

Mattover
Care to elaborate on this comment ?????????????????????
"The local club made a real mess of getting an official DH race track up and running, too."
I as many others would love to hear more on this and I'm sure that by you being an active club member and helping out at WMBC events you will have a great insite on how WMBC have made such a mess of things.

jmeers

Likes Dirt
I can't let some of the statements made here go without correction.

It's true that the local Illawarra riding community doesn't do itself many favours when it comes to securing access to land for legal trail building. Nothing that can't be fixed by getting involved in the advocacy process, something which until very recently has been lacking from the DH community in general.
What have YOU done to help? Easy enough to sit on the sidelines and comment on the action of others, particularly if it doesn't involve too much physical or mental effort.This is how many journo's make a living.
The WMBC doesn't condone the building or use of illegal tracks anywhere, a fact easily proved if you were aware of how much work it took to secure permission from various agencies to build an XC track at Appin. This was done by a few dedicated and passionate VOLUNTEERS. These same volunteers are currently scouring the local area for lands on which DH and freeride is legal(check the website for updates).
Nor does the club follow it's members around wagging it's collective finger and"tutt tutting"about what the members do in their own time in non-club sanctioned pursuits. These members are part of what is known as the local community, which in general are peaceful law abiding citizens.
The remark about "the local club making a real mess of getting a local DH track" is ignorant in the extreme. More facts, less hyperbole, please. These types of comments draw a lot of "negative attention" to the sport of MTB and the efforts of a very few volunteers.
Yes, a lot has to change before things improve, but,if anyone passionate about their sport is able to help out it would be greatly appreciated. More action, fewer critiques.
Use to be a member of wmbc in early days , but not after the mess at yellow rock .
And the illegal work that was done up the top of the trail by the wmbc club that did draw lots of negative attention to the club and its dh members.

But would be more than happy to help out getting some legal tracks to ride in the gong .

Anyone know what the go is with Green Valley freeride ?

Bulli has 2 tracks atm to ride

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
Do people realise that this thread is 4 years old? mattover's post is very old and I would say quite a lot has changed since then.

placebo

Likes Dirt
Do people realise that this thread is 4 years old? mattover's post is very old and I would say quite a lot has changed since then.
Not really. Bulli's still illegal, it's getting busy again, and it's only a matter of time before there's a reaction again by the land managers.

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
Not really. Bulli's still illegal, it's getting busy again, and it's only a matter of time before there's a reaction again by the land managers.
No worries. My post/comment ("quite a lot has changed since then") was more in regards to some recent responses and not the actual Bulli track itself. I think they were responding to something 'mattover' rote 4 years ago about the WMBC. Just thought I would make people aware of the dates because sometimes I start reading a thread thinking it is current and then see the dates going back a few years! There seems to be a bit of grave digging going on for some reason.