Does anyone have a job they like, if so what do you do?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
S'pose I should chime in...

I'm an IT Manager, we're a dime-a-dozen really. I would have expected a few IT guys to pop up in this thread (being a forum on the Internet and all).
Did you turn it off then on again? Are you sure it's plugged in? Did you enable cookies? :eek:

Arete

Likes Dirt
I'm a biologist - currently at the Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan. I work on fish, reptiles and Cephalopoda.
There's good and bad bits but it's a dream job - I wouldn't do anything else.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I work in a bicycle store.
I sell bicycles to people.

Pro's:
Bicycles are a topic I am passionate about, I like to talk about them.
I get to spend lots of time looking at bike stuff, enabling me to find stuff I want. I also get this stuff at a very, very reasonable price.
Gained the technical know how to do everything on my own bikes, and keep them in spiffy condition. Access to tools too.
You get some cool repeat customers who are great to have a chat with, and hear some good stories.

Con's:
You get over talking about $279 pieces of shit.
Some customers just plain suck.
It can get very, very repetitive, and sometimes very quiet and dull.
All I know of the month of December is sore feet.
Everyone knows everyone in the industry, and so much insider chit chat goes on. The cycling industry has real issues minding its own business.

Did this fulltime last year, now doing it fulltime and studying to be a primary school teacher, with the aim of scoring the sports teacher gig. I just cant see myself selling bikes to people who have lost their licenses and fixing Huffys at 50. Would really like to move into having my own business later in life too, perhaps something that ties in with cycling.

Really enjoying this thread, so great to see the wide variety of occupations we do. Real eye opener.

Last edited:

L-iam

Likes Bikes
Liam its just like your apprenticeship training blocks like perform advanced mig welding, theres perform coded mig welding, ive got a whole list given to me by my lecturer of the courses, i cant remember how many points you have at the end of your apprenticeship i think its around 102 or something, and you gain cert 4 at around 130 odd, and each course is worth different amounts, i think each coded welding blocks worth around 6. Basically what i was told by my lecturer was just take photos and write stuff down on almost any job you do that you can use as evidence for future blocks, because some of them you just need to go in and do the theory and show proof you can do it and they'll usually sign you off.
oh cool. ill pull me finger out one day and get aorund to it. where abouts did you look into doing your codes? through tafe or one of the private organisations?

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
What company is that? I meet a few of the architectural door hardware guys through AIS lunches (Google it :))
Work for a company called Access Hardware here in Melb, in Syd its called Access Specialty Hardware (also own API)

i would say we would be a member of AIS but the company is that well known we dont actively go out seeking work anymore. we cant keep up with what comes in haha

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I teach film and video at a university. I show students all the things they need to know to make short films. We also watch a lot of movies.

Pros: It's a rewarding job, the pay is really good and I only work 2 days per week which gives me lots of time for other things like riding DH.

Cons: I have a sessional contract which means that I only work during semester and have to find other work (usually contract video production work) during the holidays.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Another doc here- Anaesthetics/ICU/Retrieval

That is just awesome!!! I want that job!

There are loads of awesome jobs out there, particularly for those driven, initiative-based people who seek the most from their short time here on earth. What I have learned is that much of the time you will be happy in any job providing that you get something in return (money perhaps, satisfaction, enjoyment etc). Case in point, I know a triathlete who works as a garbage man because it pays well and it keeps him fit. He doesn't mind the work, although his girlfriend hates the smell when he comes home! What im trying to say is, that its good to find a job that suits your lifestyle.

Im a landscape architect. I choose it because its suits my life/values/needs. The pay is reasonably good, i spend roughly 50% indoors and 50% outdoors, I get to build things and work with good people. I also like drawing and 3d modeling stuff, so generally I enjoy my work.

I also believe in the concept that most things worth doing can be/are difficult, and also that if you are working towards helping others/improving the state of the world, then you will enjoy your work even more, and as mentioned you may even do it for free!

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is a bit off topic but does anyone know why in the aircraft industry a mechanic is called an engineer? I'm not having a go, I've just always found it an interesting distinction. I'm a mechanical engineer and I often meet aircraft techs and the conversation often goes like "what do you do mate", "I'm an aircraft engineer", "sweet, what degree did you do?", "nah I didn't go to uni", "ok...." etc etc (generalisation obviously).

Now it goes without saying that fixing an aircraft has a shitload more precision, responsibility and accountability than fixing a car and the training required is I imagine substantially more involved. Perhaps this is why the distinction is made, a 'higher' standard of mechanic if you will. Anyway it has always intrigued me.

Carry on :)
He he, I suppose it's like the new age "domestic engineers" ;)

Would it have originated from the Defence Forces perhaps? The term Aircraft Engineer.
At least it's more fitting to the actual job compared to say some Govvy job titles, where you can have some fancy position title for someone who only answers the phone and files a few documents or whatever!

IT Infrastructure Manager here...

I enjoy the job, surprisingly, even with all of its pains.

Pros:
- Work with an awesome team, guys were my mates before I got promoted.
- latest hardware
- satisfaction of seeing the difference that you make to a business
- flexible hours and work conditions

Cons:
- lack of appreciation of IT in general
- Unrealistic expectations and sometimes rediculous priorities (I know your server is down, but my iPad isn't synching its contacts properly..)
- Users (yup - they're a *huge* problem)

copps

Likes Bikes
He he, I suppose it's like the new age "domestic engineers" ;)

Would it have originated from the Defence Forces perhaps? The term Aircraft Engineer.
At least it's more fitting to the actual job compared to say some Govvy job titles, where you can have some fancy position title for someone who only answers the phone and files a few documents or whatever!
Nah,

As I said in an earlier post, in the Airforce, the guys who fix aeroplanes are Aircraft Technicians or Avionics Technicians. In the Airforce, Aircraft Engineers are officers, who have been to Uni and are proper aeronautical engineers. But the civilian equivalent of an Airforce Technician is an AME (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) or LAME (Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer). Does that clarify?

fairy1

Banned
I was offered a permanent job at my current place of employment, I would have probably got a work car and some other sweetners but the vehicles I would have to work on are absolute rubbish and in my opinion not really safe for road use, so I will look elsewhere.

Does any one work on diesel electric locos, If so is it a decent job?

Last edited:

langas88

Likes Bikes
I work for Fox Sports News. I studied a television course at TAFE and after 2 years experience elsewhere in the industry, got the chance to apply for a job here and haven't looked back. Most of the people I tell seem to be envy of my opportunity of working in and around sport all day long. PLUS it's 3 days on / 3 days off rotational rostering, so enough time to fit in the odd road ride, DH run, swim or just chill throughout the week.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im a part time Pool Lifeguard - Although it can be really boring, the large part of the time it's pretty good, always something to do and the time can fly pretty quickly - Not bad pay for part time too. On weekends it can be a little shitty looking after 8-16 year olds running amok, but being a pretty laid-back guy its quite enjoyable. DO get some shitty customers, but the large majority of people are pretty cool.

For older teenagers it's a good gig to get into, especially for getting out of bars/restaurants/Miccy D's. You actually need to do a lifesaving/first aid/bronze course which will set you back $400, but you can usually get a couple of shifts before you have to do it.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
I've worked a number of different jobs over the years. There are a few stand outs;

A motorcycle mechanic in a Ducati dealership. not great pay, but I road tested everything I could get my hands on. Had a customer hand me his new 916 for the night to set up the suspension. Basically rode it on the twisties and tweaked the suspension before riding it some more. Another time, on the Friday of the long weekend I pulled our new demo 900SS out of the crate, did the pre-delivery and parked it. That arvo' while we were having a couple of end of week ales, the boss gave me a handfull of money and said, "Bring it back on Tuesday with 1000 km on the clock." It was the best place to work, ridiculously laid back and they sponsored me with tyres when I was racing.

Bicycle courier in Sydney. Built an excellent base level of fitness that has stayed with me ever since. Made some of the strongest and most enduring friendships of my life. Got paid to ride my bike; need I say more?

Now I'm at university studying a Bachelor of Applied Science in Adventure Ecotourism. I'll finish with the skills to run my own tourism business doing what I love; riding, bush-walking and climbing. I've already been paid to go riding for a couple of days since getting my MTB guiding qualification and I'm looking forward to some work in the mountains over summer.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Bicycle courier in Sydney.
more details please!

dangerous work no doubt?
good pay?
enjoyable / stressful?

i go to the city every day (study at UTS) and see all the cyclists, it looks really exciting but i often wonder how many of those guys get hit by cars or buses

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
more details please!

dangerous work no doubt?
good pay?
enjoyable / stressful?

i go to the city every day (study at UTS) and see all the cyclists, it looks really exciting but i often wonder how many of those guys get hit by cars or buses
It's been 13 years since I left Sydney so conditions have changed substantially. When I worked in the city it was as a sub-contractor which I believe is no longer the case. Go to Martin Place or Barrack Street and try to speak to some current couriers. Just remember the ones who are making the most wont be sitting around.
As for the danger; in a two year stint I hit a few cars, a number of pedestrians (mostly their fault) and was punched once. If you aren't an aggressive, dumb jackass you could probably avoid most of it. I'm only aware of one fatality in Sydney and that was before I started.
You start as as a "Pecker" and work in the 'burbs doing a lot of riding for not the best of pay. As time goes by, if you are any good you climb the ladder and make more money and get more city locals. It may have all changed now and you might just work for a <shudders> wage.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personal transport technician :) best Jon ever for me, I don't mind that alot of the bikes I work on are cheap I'm still stoked to go to work every day surrounded by bicycles, been doing it about four years now

0psi

Eats Squid
I used to work in the bike industry and thought that was the best job on earth. It ain't, bikes are an escape for me, my happy place, last thing I wanted to do after a crappy day at work was anything to do with bikes.

Now I'm a picture framer. Friken fantastic job, the things I get to play with on a daily basis is just awesome. Framed some war medals last week that someones Dad got for his service during the Seige of Tobruk. Very humbling.

im in sales. i love my job. we have a wii and playstation at work. beer fridge. very relaxed, lots of training, work car, 15 min from home. we drink scotch when we have a good week. just a f***in great job....

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
my position at work has changed recently, now i am partly in charge of our detention equipment which is all locking hardware for prisons.
pretty interesting stuff and fairly hardcore.
Getting flown up to a prison outta Cairns in January to do some work...