DH Does anyone remember this?

I met the owner of this one at Beechworth a few years back. He's from Melbourne , not sure if it's an ex pros ride though.

Thats very cool. I wasn't sure if any more were out there. Mine was Michaels race bike, sold to a mutual friend who sold it to me. The brother of the mutual friend, (who is a mutual friend) has a later version without the massive down tube.

these Gary fisher beasts were designed with michael ronnings input. they were considered the shit at the time! the bike from melbourne is closer to the orignal that ronning was riding in the year of1997. amb had a cover shot of him and this bike in action! hope this helps you both on these retro tanks of old.:D

ps. does any body remember the swiss cheese trek that scott sharples was riding at the same point in time? two very closley related bikes in deed.
This was the original, exactly as you can see in the Mudcows videos (if you can source them). But I would like to see the cover shot if it could be arranged.

party76

Likes Dirt
i will scan the cover and post it for you. mick did have a one off custom made for him and if it is the one in your garage, dont let go of it and get the original forks back. not that there is anything wrong with fox 40s i must say! i do remember that this bike ran hutchison coyotes front n rear. they were the thing to have back then,a big fast rolling chunky mother of a tyre. shithouse sidewalls prone to pinch flats but! irc missle n kujos popular at this point in time as well.(any body remember these jems!) mate if i had a set of old hutchis lyin around i,d mail em to you so you could put them back on micks ol beast! the minjin tribe lives on!

Last edited:
i will scan the cover and post it for you. mick did have a one off custom made for him and if it is the one in your garage, dont let go of it and get the original forks back. not that there is anything wrong with fox 40s i must say! i do remember that this bike ran hutchison coyotes front n rear. they were the thing to have back then,a big fast rolling chunky mother of a tyre. shithouse sidewalls prone to pinch flats but! irc missle n kujos popular at this point in time as well.(any body remember these jems!) mate if i had a set of old hutchis lyin around i,d mail em to you so you could put them back on micks ol beast! the minjin tribe lives on!
I do have the old forks Boxxer pros, chris king head set, xtr deralieur and cranks, original chunky hayes brakes that don't fit any other bike, shifter and such but when I scored it it came without pedals and a big fat Intense 2.7 front tyre, not sure of the back. The only thing I don't have is the handle bars, but I'm sure I can get them back. Apparently this bike originally ran a prototype ventilated drum brake, info from fellow vetran cairns cyclist, how trippy is that?

I would like some input from all who are interested, on a paint job. The original is very shit now, so do I colour match and keep original or custom air brushed with same colours and artistic designs. For example (and I know flames can be lame) but depict it as red flamming swing arm burning up the yellow main frame, with custom painted on GaryFisher in original font???

unonumu

Likes Bikes
wow that is a realy retro DH bike you have got yourself there. do you know what type of rear shock it has on it? looks mad though :)

heavyp

You heard it here first
Thats very cool. I wasn't sure if any more were out there. Mine was Michaels race bike, sold to a mutual friend who sold it to me. The brother of the mutual friend, (who is a mutual friend) has a later version without the massive down tube.
WOW Amazing I always remember this theres no school like the oldschool, maybe i take my Trek and make it into a gary fisher instead (Sorry to dig up such an old post!)

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
info

From my fuzzy memory the front tyre on a bike was a michelin 2.8 monster....
Reason i say that is that i then had to have 'what the pro's' had... And its still in my shed today 1/2 used and ohh so BIG.....

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
prety sure i saw Ronning race that at the '97 worlds in Switzerland

plus Sharples on the Trek

and the legendary Missy G break her crazy twin chain Cannondale

good times.....