Does changing Chain mean change cassette

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Well during my last race i had quite a fall stood to evaluate the damages.

and it turned out that i have a twisted chain. So Some guys helped me fix that up just by re-twisting it back to its orgiinal shape or somthing close..

well now the chain seems to be fine i still managed to do the rest of the lap. So far so good..

but now im contemplating on getting a new chain because it still might be bent a little.. it really isnt doing anything at all ( i dont think)

this chain and cassette is not very old... say maybe.. 6 months maybe more ( is that old?).

And someone has told me that when you change you chain it is best to chain your cassette while you are at it to prolong the life of chain AND cassette.

is this true?

or should i ride the chain till it just shits itself again.

(the chain and cassette might actually just under a year old )

S.

ex offender
Cassettes don't wear significantly until the chain slowly stretches beyond its original length, which happens over time. Take it to your LBS, they should have a chainstretch measuring tool. If it's stretched at all then replace the cassette too, if it hasn't then you SHOULD be able to get away with just replacing the chain.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Go to your LBS and get them to put a chain checker (Wippermann make a good one) onto it to measure the wear.

If you're chain's not too stretched, then you should be able to fit a new chain on without it slipping on your current cassette.

If it's too stretched, well... you'll be coughing up more coin!

Get it checked though in the near future even if it's not slipping.

[edit]beaten by the S.low one[/edit]

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Yes
If you twisted multiple links then yeah turf it,if it was just one then you can probably remove just the bent one and it's mate. If the chain is long enough. Better short anyway providing you're not fool enough to use the big ring and rear granny,and you've left enough for suspension travel.I'd run a new one myself.
The above coments were talking about chain length in regard to cassette wear.
You may be able to get a good condition second hand chain at your bike shop,if it's not recomended to try a new one. I know I've got a few in the shed.

Last edited:

noddy

Likes Dirt
you don't realy need a chain strech measurer (?)
just use a ruler with inches on it. 12 links (outer and inner) should measure 12 inches, if it is any more than 12 inches and 1/8th then your chain is screwed and most probably your cassette too.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
chains

Hi, this is my first Farkin post - hope it helps. Yonks ago I was a pretty competent bike mechanic (and I can still build wheels very well) MTB stuff has come a long way since then but some of the basics don't change much.

Try pulling the chain away from the teeth on your front c/ring at the 3 o'clock position (when U are looking at it from the RHS of the bike) The more it comes away from the teeth, the more worn it is...compare to a new one to get an idea of how badly worn yours is.

It's a long time since I was a bike mechanic but back in the day there was one brand of chain that was tolerant of going on to a used cassette (Sedis) but they didn't suit ramped type cogs. 6 months is pretty quick to chew out a chain/cassette but lots of mud/sand, hard riding and no cleaning or lube could see it worn out already.

If your chain is twisted it's probably only one or two links that are bent, you might have enough chain to remove them. Sight along the top of the chain while turning the cranks backwards to try and pick the bent links. Slipping can be caused by stiff links feeding on to the rear cog while still in the position from going around the jockey wheel.

BTW chains don't actually stretch, the rollers wear and a little bit of slop in each one adds up to make it longer.
The cheapest way to measure a worn chain is to ride it till it starts slipping when you stand up and pedal hard. Front rings will usually outlast 2 or 3 chain/cassettes.
best,
Sam

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, easier just to turf a twisted chain. They aren't that expensive for something half decent. Check the stretch on the old one, I use the ruler method as well. Might get away with keeping the cassette if you've been keeping everything clean, and aren't hugely powerful rider.