Domain Name/Douche Web Host Information

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

One of my companies websites has been hosted with the same company for 6 years. I recently had a new one built and the designer is hosting it elsewhere. I emailed my old host to get them to cancel my hosting and transfer the domain...they are refusing without the payment of some exorbitant amount of money that I seem to have missed in the fine print all those years ago. Without paying the cash, is there any way I can redirect my domain towards my new website?

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
All depends what details you have for your current hosting/domain name. If you have the login details for the domain name management console then you can update the DNS to point to your new host.

You SHOULD have this stuff on file (whoever you registered your domain name should have sent you these details).

There's a bunch of ways around this kind of thing if you really have to, but a lot of it takes a lot of time and fart-arsing about, and how much time exactly depends on what details you have available to you.

TRansferring the domain name to point to a new host may not get you out of your contract though - just because you're not using that hosting account doesn't mean they wont charge you for it if they can...