"Don't believe the hype" is hype.

bradh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's not like we need another debate on the relative virtues or iniquities of different suspension designs, which this thread threatens to devolve into, but I just figured others might derive some amusement from the (admittedly self-conscious) bullshit that goes into press releases these days.

Haro press release said:
The Haro Sonix features brand-new, patent pending Virtual Link suspension technology. What makes this suspension platform so special? There’s always plenty of hype when a new full-suspension design is introduced. In that respect, our new Virtual-Link suspension won’t be any different from the rest. But what will separate this patent pending design from all other state-of-the-art suspension systems is that the hype is real. And once you ride one, you’ll understand.

The Sonix’s virtual pivot moves in a half-orbit around the bottom bracket to eliminate pedal-induced bobbing, while leaving the rear wheel free to respond to the terrain. Its short, pivotless chainstays mean there’s zero drivetrain flex—it pedals with hardtail efficiency, and with zero chainline growth there’s no pedal kickback. The engineering may be complicated, but the resulting improvements in performance are obvious even to those of us with average intelligence and riding skills. We’re pretty confident you’ll like the ride.
Got déjà vu?

bradh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bazza said:
thats the dumbest piece of marketing i have read in my life. hahah.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. But have you read Tioga's 'urban freestyle' bullshit? I'd have boycotted Tioga on ground of that press release, if only their tyres weren't so good.

tu plang

knob
bradh said:
Yeah, it's pretty bad. But have you read Tioga's 'urban freestyle' bullshit? I'd have boycotted Tioga on ground of that press release, if only their tyres weren't so good.
hang on... something doesnt fit here. their tyres aren't so good, or good at all?

pistol

Likes Dirt
as soon as i read haro.. i didnt need to read any more

they have to try and catch some one out with this marketing to at least sell a few bikes a year which have shit warrenty..

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RCOH said:
Haro had to replace Mick Hannah with something!
Add the loss of Dave Mirra and they'd be feeling pretty bad.
(Colin Mackay is on haro now though)

bradh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tu plang said:
hang on... something doesnt fit here. their tyres aren't so good, or good at all?
I'll rephase it: I'd boycott Tioga on grounds of that one press release, except I'm not prepared to, because I think their tyres are shit hot. Their street tyres, that is... I've never spent any quality time with their DH rubber.

After some searching... the Tioga press release I'm talking about:
The Emerging Sport of “Urban Assault” Demands New Product Technology

Los Angeles, CA – Urban Assault, a city-based extreme freestyle cycling sport, is proving to be the hottest biking trend this season. Sure to captivate bikers of all sorts, this emerging sport is allowing everyone from road and mountain bikers to BMX and the most extreme free riders, to unleash their style into a unique city landscape. Tioga USA, an innovator among bike part manufacturers, is leading this sport with products to maximize speed, control and safety.

The Game
Among the skyscrapers of the city, Urban Assault incorporates extreme biking into an urban environment. For the many bikers who do not have access to natural riding hot spots, urban cycling is the solution. Urban Assault riders experience extreme freestyle cycling by jumping off of buildings, tackling stairs and rails, and sharing ramps and jumps with the skateboarding community. This unique sport links the best of the biking worlds and even meshes the equipment by using downsized mountain bicycles with BMX helmets and free style riding techniques.

CGR

Likes Dirt
S. said:
Sounds a lot like the FSR marketing bullshit that was in AMB actually.
Damn right! that was a complete and utter waste of space and money, (which would be quite alot I'd expect!) not to mention the fact that knowone in there right mind would bother to read it all anyway. I just wish companies would just give it to us straight once in a while.:mad:

tu plang

knob
bradh said:
I'll rephase it: I'd boycott Tioga on grounds of that one press release, except I'm not prepared to, because I think their tyres are shit hot. Their street tyres, that is... I've never spent any quality time with their DH rubber.
aaah that makes a bit more sense. ive never spoken to anyone whos had anything good to say about their DH range. no love lost.

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tu plang said:
aaah that makes a bit more sense. ive never spoken to anyone whos had anything good to say about their DH range. no love lost.
Well once you wear all the knobblies off the DH Factory tyres, they then make pretty good street tyres, albeit the bastards will go flat if you ride over anything slightly resembling a prickle.

As for that marketing hype, I havnt read so much purile drivel since my year 12 TEE art exam.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
S. said:
Sounds a lot like the FSR marketing bullshit that was in AMB actually.
yeah...how funny was it when they claim "we are the best" and do not acknowledge other systems as being at least efficient in something.

In on older AMB they tested the Sonix and apparantly it wasn't all that great. just good components.

FR fraca

Likes Dirt
urban assualt, for road bikers.... haang on just a second, a road bike "jumping of buildings,grinding rails launching ramps and skate park" am i missing something, i dunno about you i havnt seen many spandexers launching of buildings or carving half pipes latley.

bmx, mtbers yes but roadies??