Don't forget to bleed your brakes! (Or, just don't be a show off)

.dan.

Likes Dirt
Just thought I would post this little story as a reminder not to skimp out on maintenance of such an important component of our bikes.

I built up my new bike recently and while installing my new brakes I had to swap over and shorten the hoses. On completion I didn't bother giving them a bleed as they worked just fine while riding around my street. I thought I did a good job on them, but not so.

Last Saturday I was doing shuttles in Wollongong with some friends at a popular track, when I thought I would do a manual down the road while riding to the track. I'm pretty good at manuals, I've had plenty of practice. I was going maybe 40km/h it felt like while I was doing my manual. Just going along feathering my rear brake as you do, when I felt the bike tipping back a bit, so I went to grab the brake to pull the front down. But the brake lever came in all the way to the bar and in a split second I was on the ground. I had jumped off the back of my bike and landed on my feet, but I managed to hyperextend/dislocate my right knee when landing on the ground.

I've just got the results of my MRI, I've ruptured my ACL, torn some cartilage, micro-fractured my two main knee bones and damaged a couple other bits. At the moment the absolute earliest i'll likely be back riding is 6 months.

So what's the lesson to be learnt here? Don't be a show off for one. Which might be a bit hard for me to learn. But more importantly, make sure your brakes are running in absolutely pristine condition and they've been bled properly. They're more than just a performance component, they're a safety component.

Yes this incident happened as a result of me being a dickhead, but it could have happened while I was just riding along the track as well. I hope no one else makes the same mistake as I have.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
ouch, I guess all the air in the calliper while at the manual angle left no fluid to push through the hose!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Shit mate, that's pooh. Good to see you are happy to share your advice, never hurts eh. ;)

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've never had a brake lever work after disconnecting the line and re-joining it without bleeding again. One thing that did happen though is that I bought a new set of Formulas removed from a brand new specialized from an upgrade. Fitted them up to the bike without shortening the hoses and they initially worked fine but about the fifth application of the brake lever, a large spurt of brake fluid come out from the compression fitting and hit me in the face.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Sorry to hear you've busted yourself up good and proper. It's scary how quickly things can go from hero to zero.

One thing you've got to look forward too is plenty of cycling to rehab the knee.

Get well soon.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
Snapped my ACL in a similar fashion. Let my front shock get a bit too low in PSI and hit a double on a steep section badly and front end didn't recover enough (rear shock rebound was too high as well - double wammy) so went over the bars. After reconstruction, I was on the trainer after < 2 months and on the road bike after 4 months but didn't touch the MTB for more than 6 months (can't remember the exact date I got back on).

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a sorry tale. Hope you've a decent sit down hobby. Heal up, and at least you'll have time to bleed your brakes / tinker in the meantime.
Major injuries are no damned good.

slowmick

38-39"
That sucks bloke. hope your rehab is quick and complete.

how's the new build by the way? Is it the replacement for your legend?

.dan.

Likes Dirt
how's the new build by the way? Is it the replacement for your legend?
Yep, I've replaced the Legend with a Rune. Really happy with the bike, I was having a lot of fun with it in the short month I was able to ride it. Its more than capable enough for any DH track I ride, and versatile enough so I can ride XC without feeling like too much of a slug.

More importantly hows the bike after a 40kmh stack?
I haven't actually been able to have a look at it yet to determine the damage because I've been in too much pain, but my dad had a look for me and said the only immediate damage he could notice was i had a slight tear in my seat. I sure am hoping that's it though.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Fucking hell Dan, that's an unfortunate accident.
Acl is also a prick of an injury, heal well dude.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sad to hear mate, hope you recover quickly.

I must say I feel your pain. Back in the days of rim brakes I pulled a big wheelie and forgot how wet the rim was. Braked to set myself up but ended up on my ass in the gravel and took all the skin off my right cheek. That was the 2nd time showing off doing big wheelies got me, first was a run in with mr plod.