Don't get busted with a rear rack over your plate...NSW law...

For those NSW residents who are interested. A NSW bike rack license plate is $37, not much to pay when you consider the alternative of $340ish fine and 3 demerit points.
Although the delivery time is 21 days... they must bring using camel to get the delivery here!

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride downhill which involves me having bikes hung over the rear tailgate of my car, which unfortunately obscures my numberplate (unless you feel like looking through the spokes). Unless I hang one on one of the bikes handlebars I don't really know what to do about it.

I didn't realise how big the fine was, anyone have any ideas for someone in my situation? Planning on making a new rack soon but it will be similar to the pictured one below as in that the tailgate will be put down and bikes will hang over the back.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got a bike rack number plate ages ago, but don't have it fitted to my rack as it is too bloody big - when the plate is on the rack I can't get my bike over it!
What do you guys do to quickly move your number plate?
Given this thread, I am now thinking even some velcro to hold the plate on would be better than a $300 fine.
They are too big to get a bike over easily.
I have mine on some cord and use one of those spring loaded plastic thingies that hold the cord in place (like on the string on a hat). 2secs to release and let the plate swing around a bit while loading/unloading, then pull the cord tight for driving off. It's secure enough for travelling and if the car is left alone the rack comes off. Using good cord, inspected regularly for fraying.

madstace

Likes Dirt
I have my rack with a made up stickered number plate. I have spoken to police and RTA. That is fine.

It does not need to be a RTA plate as far as I am aware.
Same, and I was told by a local officer that this was fine. Might depend on how you play your cards when they pull you over.
my understand was that the plate needs to be readable by speed/toll cameras, and thus has to be an RTA provided one. I suppose 30 odd bucks isn't too bad to make sure you're on the right side of the law. 100 bucks just to change the colour of your existing plates otoh, now thats just a ripoff!

scblack

Leucocholic
my understand was that the plate needs to be readable by speed/toll cameras, and thus has to be an RTA provided one. I suppose 30 odd bucks isn't too bad to make sure you're on the right side of the law. 100 bucks just to change the colour of your existing plates otoh, now thats just a ripoff!
WOW, I had no idea that cameras could not take pictures of things other than RTA number plates. Please please tell me how an RTA number plate is different from other things that a camera may take photos of?

muvro

Likes Dirt
WOW, I had no idea that cameras could not take pictures of things other than RTA number plates. Please please tell me how an RTA number plate is different from other things that a camera may take photos of?
The reflective material allows the camera to be able to highlight the lettering.

Minlak

custom titis
24 Position, visibility and legibility of number plate

(1) The registered operator of a vehicle must ensure that each number plate issued for a vehicle is permanently attached to the vehicle so that, if the vehicle is on level ground-

(a) the number plate is-

(i) in an upright position parallel to the vehicle’s axles; and

(ii) not more than 1.3m above ground level; and

(b) unless an accessory plate is attached to the vehicle in the way required under section 31, the characters on the number plate are visible from 20m away at any point within an arc of 45 degrees from the surface of the number plate above or to either side of the vehicle, in the way shown in figures 1 and 2 at the end of this section; and

(c) any cover on the number plate-

(i) is clear, clean, untinted and flat over its entire surface; and

(ii) has no reflective or other characteristics that would prevent-

(A) the successful operation of a photographic detection device; or

(B) the number plate from being legible; and

(d) the number plate is in a clearly legible condition, including being clearly legible from any position from which it is required to be visible.

(2) The registered operator must also ensure that-

(b) if the vehicle has been issued with only 1 number plate-the number plate is attached to its rear.

http://www.mates.org.au/2010/01/04/number-plates-whats-legal/ motorcycle website but same rules apply to cars

Im in QLD and poster was a QLD policepersonage

Edit Victoria http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1720

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The Qld Police had a bit of a blitz a couple of years ago so that is why I have done this to my Grip rack:

Cost about $70 for the lights and cable and plug. The lights are mounted on some scrap Z purlin screwed to the rack. As someone said the accessory numberplate here in Annaville costs about $60.

Wow don't have any of those bikes anymore, note to self get an update pic in the vault!

Johnn

Squid
I'm not an expert but from observation RTA cameras do not take a "photo". They record a digital image and by the use of software, your number plate is 'read'.
The shape of characters allow the soft wear to assign numbers and letters to the image. Changing the shape and spacing of the characters stuffs it up.
I've seen a number of speed camera images and deciphering the rego number is well beyond my capabilities without digital enhancement.
Thats why the RTA insist on using their plates (does that make sense?)

madstace

Likes Dirt
WOW, I'm glad you're an exception rather than a rule around here mate.

To those interested in an adult discussion and not snide remarks, my take it on it was what was told to me by the RTA, Johnn's post is great for the technicalities of it too.

Carry on all!

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
I have to say that when we first started making these...

light_1__medium.jpg

I never imagined they would end up selling as well as they are. It seems that as far as the police are concerned, any "discretion" that may have been shown to drivers in the past is now being "enforced" right up to pussy's bow!

From what I hear though, the tickets seem to be getting written MUCH more for obscured number plates than they do for obscured lights. Now granted, in most cases, tail lights are still visible through spoked wheels, but "technically" those lights are still obscured which makes me think that maybe all this interest is more to do with the lost revenue resulting from obscured plates, rather than the safety (and insurance issues) to do with obscured lights.

Or am I just being cynical?

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt

From what I hear though, the tickets seem to be getting written MUCH more for obscured number plates than they do for obscured lights. Now granted, in most cases, tail lights are still visible through spoked wheels, but "technically" those lights are still obscured which makes me think that maybe all this interest is more to do with the lost revenue resulting from obscured plates, rather than the safety (and insurance issues) to do with obscured lights.

Or am I just being cynical?
Being cynical is very important in this life. Maybe you are right, in this new age of lots of digital camera traffic infringement devices it is more important for all cars to have un-obscured plates. It's just too damn hard to actually pull anyone over these days, much easier to take a quick pic and pop a fine in the mail. Be even easier when they can send the fine by SMS.

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm not an expert but from observation RTA cameras do not take a "photo". They record a digital image and by the use of software, your number plate is 'read'.
The shape of characters allow the soft wear to assign numbers and letters to the image. Changing the shape and spacing of the characters stuffs it up.
I've seen a number of speed camera images and deciphering the rego number is well beyond my capabilities without digital enhancement.
Thats why the RTA insist on using their plates (does that make sense?)
Sorry guys I'll leave off the snide remarks. :tape:

But fact remains, RTA cameras are just taking a "photo", same as any other camera. The digital image of that photo is then scanned by their software for matching purposes. The RTA plates may use fonts and reflective background to enhance that software matching process, but its not a "magic" digital image. The software WILL work with other fonts and without the refelctive background - just not as ideally. Police who I have spoken to regard the plate I have as perfectly fine.

I'll ask a question her if people don't mind. I have a car of course, and the Grip bike rack has a number plate on it, with letterbox stickers on a white background to match. No problem there, police have said its fine. However, I have a Jayco camper trailer with a towbar on the rear. So when I go camping, I put the bike rack on the back of the camper so bikes can go with us. BUT the number plate on the rack is the car plate, not the trailer plate. Is this an issue? I'm pretty sure not as all that is required of a plate is to identify the vehicle, not the trailer per se. Any problems there - do I need a camper plate as well?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I can pass on some info that will either surprise you or you'll just shrug: The fixed cameras used for observation on Australian roads are very capable pieces of equipment. For example, the safety cam setups you see on major roads are capable of identifying someone in the most minute way. They can zoom in clearly to a log book on your dash, a name of your shirt, the name of a pen in your pocket, the type of cargo you're carrying, your girlfriends bra size................. Don't ever think for a second that if you have done a criminal act that pulling your plate off and bombing through a camera gets you in the clear. It won't and if further means of investigation are necesary then you may well have John E Law banging on your door.
On the rack on my ute the rubber sleeve I have covers my plate so I cut a section out to read the plate but the tyres still cover it. I've had a replica of my plate made with a reflective surface and it looks just like my number plate but it isn't of the same material as the RTA issued plates. I've since ordered a bike rack plate to simply avoid the freak out that I would impose on the law if they busted me in transit to a ride.
Remember people, a clearly displayed number plate makes the road safer for you and everyone around you. As long as you can identify the people doing the right thing then you'll be fine. Don't worry about the tards that drive around with a total disregard for others, if they have clearly displayed number plates you should feel safe. Number plates save lives!

muvro

Likes Dirt
I just have to repeat myself, regardless of what some police officers are saying. The fact remains, that a home-made/professional-made number plate, is not a RTA issued number plate and therefor illegal. If a cop wants to hit you for it, they can and they do.

By all means, make one and you may never have a problem. However, don't think that because some police officers say it's ok, you can get away with it.

They are illegal, simply because anyone can make any number plate. If the original plate affixed to the car is obscured, then the plate you are presenting as the bike rack plate, is your only means for other people to identify you. Here in lies the problem, as the made up rack plate may be (if you had bad intentions) intentionally made incorrect to avoid detection. If your plate is issued from the RTA, then only one of two things can occur, the plate is yours and belongs to the car, or the plate is stolen.

Don't risk it, just get a proper plate, or if you are too tight to buy a RTA bike rack plate, just unscrew your cars plate and affix it to your rack.

My rack is similar to a Grip rack, but I made it myself and it has trailer lights (with reflectors) and number plate lights. As my rack stays on my car full time since I use it near everyday, I simply have my vehicals number plate bolted to the rack.

lawry

Likes Dirt
I can pass on some info that will either surprise you or you'll just shrug: The fixed cameras used for observation on Australian roads are very capable pieces of equipment. For example, the safety cam setups you see on major roads are capable of identifying someone in the most minute way. They can zoom in clearly to a log book on your dash, a name of your shirt, the name of a pen in your pocket, the type of cargo you're carrying, your girlfriends bra size................. Don't ever think for a second that if you have done a criminal act that pulling your plate off and bombing through a camera gets you in the clear. It won't and if further means of investigation are necesary then you may well have John E Law banging on your door.
On the rack on my ute the rubber sleeve I have covers my plate so I cut a section out to read the plate but the tyres still cover it. I've had a replica of my plate made with a reflective surface and it looks just like my number plate but it isn't of the same material as the RTA issued plates. I've since ordered a bike rack plate to simply avoid the freak out that I would impose on the law if they busted me in transit to a ride.
Remember people, a clearly displayed number plate makes the road safer for you and everyone around you. As long as you can identify the people doing the right thing then you'll be fine. Don't worry about the tards that drive around with a total disregard for others, if they have clearly displayed number plates you should feel safe. Number plates save lives!
5% tint is the criminals tint of choice. :)