Don't give us a bad name

the pedestrian lights turn red. There wasn't much traffic and 15 or so people bgan crossing.
The pedestrian lights turn red as in, "don't walk"?

Obviously even if that is the case it doesn't take a genius to apply the brake, but it would go some way to explaining his frustration, but certainly not his reaction.
Someone informed him that the lights were red to which he replied "I'm on a bike, I don't have to stop at red lights" IDIOT!!
So now the traffic lights are red? If so I can't imagine his assertion of not having to stop is in any way correct, I thought cyclists were subject to the same rules as motorists, including not leaving the scene of a accident?

Someone should've at least got his photo for the police.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Geez! If there's one demographic you DO NOT mess with, it's pedestrians! Be kind, be courteous, give them room and don't piss them off!

These are the most damaging situations to the cyclists image, imo.

scblack

Leucocholic
Everyone knows the cycle couriers can be complete tools/f**kwits etc.

Overall, a dickhead courier is not really going to be connected too closely to the general cycling community.

Cycle couriers are one of the most disliked things we have to face in the CBD. Their actions are not really seen as the actions of the average recreational cyclist.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A hypothetical situation: Say a cyclists is jumping a red light and is cleaned up by a car running through a red light? I just wonder what the reactions would be?

No excuses for hitting and abusing a pedestrian though, regardless of the circumstances, poor form really. However, as a rule couriers tend not to run over pedestrians, most of the time.

Last edited:

killa_au

Likes Dirt
sorry but +1 above if thats the case, red means stop lol the amount of times people have walked in front of me whether it be in car, on a bike is just stupid.
But it sounds like he over reacted a little, then again i probably would have gone helter skelter too.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Even if people are crossing illegally you still have brakes and you give way to pedestrians - even if that means you stop when you dont 'have' to.
You dont abuse someone you just hit no matter what the circumstances. Make sure they're ok, help them up/call an ambulance/whatever, then discuss the matter in a civil way.
And thirdly - what happened to chivalry? While you shouldnt yell at anyone in that situation (see above) as a man you definitely wouldnt do it to a girl.

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
A short story relayed to me as witnessed by my Wife on Friday:

Walking from the Galleries Victoria to QVB on George St at lunchtime, the pedestrian lights turn red. There wasn't much traffic and 15 or so people bgan crossing.

Out of nowhere a cyclist (courier) flys through the lights and hits a young woman full on, knocking her 5 - 6 meters down the road. The poor girl is obviously in shock but luckily only has a few grazes.

Now, this is the bit that got me - the guy gets up, goes over to the girl and starts abusing her - asking her who is going to pay for the damage to his bike, why didn't she look where she was going etc. He was standing over her as she lay on the floor, shouting.

At this point people gathered round the girl to help out and someone called the police. Someone informed him that the lights were red to which he replied "I'm on a bike, I don't have to stop at red lights" IDIOT!!

The police arrived but by this time the guy had gone. It makes you wonder how lucky the girl was to come away pretty uninjured. Could have been far worse. If he'd have killed her, what recourse would the family have had against a cyclist really apart from criminal proceedings?

Anyway, I know this guy is in a minority but it makes you understand why some drivers don't like cyclists. 14 other people will have told this story too over the weekend!

So to anyone who does it jump lights to save a few extra minutes a day, don't. It could have been my Wife you hit!!
i missed that bit to, but why does someone say to him the lights where red
if he would have had a green. i thought it must have been edited because so many people didnt see it, but it hasnt been :eek: