Don't laugh - my mum wants a MTB

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
She's almost 60. She thinks it'll be a change up from walking the dog. Its for her birthday and my bro and I will buy one (for as little as possible). It will be for road (footpath) use only. Any help appreciated. Probably don't want to go down the Huffy/Kmart/etc route if it can be avoided? But that said she'll probably only ride it once or twice anyway...

What would you buy? $200 ish?

Matt H

Eats Squid
Go a bit more and buy a raleigh. IMO they're probably the best quality 'budget' bike, even if they are, say, $150 more expensive than your price range.

EDIT: or see my next post if you want to spend a little bit more $$

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Avanti(or other brand)Hybrid with Nexus geared hub, front suspension forks ,and suspension seat post, about $7-800.

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Comon mate, this is your mum im sure you can dish out a bit more to get a higher quality bike. In the end it would be worth it for her.

I suggest considering her age and gender. Look for a bike which has a really really short standover height. Try the "comfort" range for females which have the really big bend in the top tube that lowers standover alot

Matt H

Eats Squid
Avanti expedition in a low step frame. $469 I think...

Suspension seatpost, suspension forks, 700c wheels, comfort grips, etc.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought one for my Mum years ago, it was the smallest frame I could find. The main considerations were size/reach and getting a proper womens saddle, she's ridden loads of places off road on it but nothing too technical.

I spent about 700 but for that you can get a much better bike or at least the equivalent for half that now. Have you looked at Cell? They have one for $350 and would suit your needs down to the ground.
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/c_36_LADIES_Bikes

If she knows you're going to buy it then take her along and see how it fits.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Sent the Cell bike link to my bro, he went too much...

Back to square one, Dunlop/Repco bikes from Big W. Front fork, low step through, big arse womens seat, $198? Can I go wrong? Last bike my folks bought for me from big W was when I was 12 (2/3 my life ago) and it never worked properly... was apollo I think...

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd spend the extra 150 for peace of mind, the cell is about as low rent as I'd go. The department store bikes are cheap but for a reason.
Just ask your brother how much he thinks his Mum is worth after everything she's done for him.:D See how you go.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this isnt really off topic it can go in general mtb or parts and stuff, probably get more people seeing it too.

wombat

Lives in a hole
this isnt really off topic it can go in general mtb or parts and stuff, probably get more people seeing it too.
It can indeed.

On the topic, I'd be getting her a hybrid, or maybe a 26" comfort bike (ala Norco Plateau), no need for a MTB on the footpaths, and the other machines will probably offer her a more relaxed ride.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Giant Sedona range (if it still exists).

My dear old mother is particular about comfort and the mens 'CX' seemed to fit the bill. Its a 26" Hybrid with the usual hybrid furnishings including suspention seat post and adjustable stem. We picked that up <$400.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It can indeed.

On the topic, I'd be getting her a hybrid, or maybe a 26" comfort bike (ala Norco Plateau), no need for a MTB on the footpaths, and the other machines will probably offer her a more relaxed ride.
Right on the spot mate.

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Second-hand/pre-used Giant Bowery. You can pick one up new for about $900, so surely you can find a cheapie out there for half that. Freewheel flip flop hub so if your mums no daredevil, it still comes with brakes. Plus its a decent bike for getting around on... so if it is just a flash in the pan at least you can have some fun with it.