Don't Mountain Bike on a Mountain Bike

Minlak

custom titis
TLDR - Seems mad he bought an e-bike and couldn’t abuse it.
Court decided rider at fault for not maintaining correctly and shop was right that bike should not be ridden in mud etc
Interesting note :- Independent report suggested man could not ride and was putting a high torque load on the bike causing the failures .

1697404386151.png

1697404426834.png

1697404454255.png

Last edited:

madstace

Likes Dirt
Cheeky are good doods, so I'm likely biased here, but it does sound like it was a case of abuse and neglect and they still came to the party on multiple occasions, and likely just had to say enough is enough. They don't sell spesh, part of the reason I like them :p

Minlak

custom titis
Cheeky are good doods, so I'm likely biased here, but it does sound like it was a case of abuse and neglect and they still came to the party on multiple occasions, and likely just had to say enough is enough. They don't sell spesh, part of the reason I like them :p
I am sure the shop approached the manufacturer / importer for a refund - if they said yes the shop would have not had as much loss - when they say no it falls back 100% on the shop and its policies etc (owner manager) - And I am 100% sure the rider / owner was 100% abusing the bike - I can almost imagine his facebook feed of doing extreme shit in all weather feeling like a hard man.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I do agree that a lot of Ebikes aren't as waterproof as they should be, but I've had no trouble with my Levo SL and it goes out in all conditions.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Are we talking about Cheeky Bikes in Newcastle?…as I don’t believe they were ever Specialized dealers, happy to be proven wrong though

madstace

Likes Dirt
Are we talking about Cheeky Bikes in Newcastle?…as I don’t believe they were ever Specialized dealers, happy to be proven wrong though
Yep that's them, definitely not spesh dealers. Weird seeing Olibob on your bank statement, gives you a scare for a second you might have been scammed o_O

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Do the user manuals for e-bikes explain what post-ride maintenance is needed following wet/muddy rides?

Minlak

custom titis
Do the user manuals for e-bikes explain what post-ride maintenance is needed following wet/muddy rides?
Interesting thought - So I got a new Ebike a month ish ago and little bits of paper telling me to scan this and scan that for the relevant manuals - All the manuals it pointed me to were so generic it was almost impossible to figure out which bits pertained to me :)
If you have this controller then this but if it not its this controller then do this unless its not then it might be this controller and do this - if you ahe this charger do this unless its not it might be this charger etc - So I pretty much gave up and stopped reading :)

I am sure they probably have got some generic information about cleaning - But one of the biggest issues is that some of them were just not water proofed either

teK--

Eats Squid
Probably the same guy who advertises a cassette in "very good condition" except the 4 smallest cogs are absolutely destroyed compared to the others which are pristine.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Specialized have this video for washing their Ebikes. No different than a normal bike in most scenarios.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ha...typo in first sentence of article body.

Also cheeky is around here. They had a few stores, but I think some recent shrinkage has occurred.

Assuming this ebike owner is like most of the other eeeeeeeb owners I see around here, the ebike has been poorly maintained.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Assuming this ebike owner is like most of the other eeeeeeeb owners I see around here, the ebike has been poorly maintained.
I was gonna say something about them not being able to read the user manuals, as most of them don't seem to be able to read the 'trail closed' or 'trail under construction' signs either.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Interesting thought - So I got a new Ebike a month ish ago and little bits of paper telling me to scan this and scan that for the relevant manuals - All the manuals it pointed me to were so generic it was almost impossible to figure out which bits pertained to me :)
If you have this controller then this but if it not its this controller then do this unless its not then it might be this controller and do this - if you ahe this charger do this unless its not it might be this charger etc - So I pretty much gave up and stopped reading :)

I am sure they probably have got some generic information about cleaning - But one of the biggest issues is that some of them were just not water proofed either
I best come up and fit the bolt through the motor because I know you can't be trusted to fuck it all up.