Downhill bikes

MrsH

Likes Dirt
I'm intending to mainly go downhilling, I went on a XC track and it was a bit too slow for me... so maybe 6" travel is a good idea.
I really want a bike that will float over rockgardens and eat up jumps (without throwing me over the bars, like my old hardtail :( ).
I LOVE yeti's but they're a bit out of my price range :D
Are there any cheap-ish ($2000-$2500), good value for money and light weight?

No idea on if they're 'good' but if you are in Melb Yarra Valley Cycles had some cheap 09 model Giant Reigns when I was there the other week.. Longer travel than I am looking for, plus we've no money for a new bike atm!

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No idea on if they're 'good' but if you are in Melb Yarra Valley Cycles had some cheap 09 model Giant Reigns when I was there the other week.. Longer travel than I am looking for, plus we've no money for a new bike atm!
You could do a lot worse than a Reign.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks pretty tidy for the money! I think that would be great for what you've described you want to do.

rubikat

Likes Dirt
I've been looking for one too, the guys at my local bike shop suggested one with 4" travel and light in weight. If anyone has any suggestions that would be sweet. :)
Sounds more like a light all mountain bike.
Generally it will cope but it depend son (a) where you ride and (b) how you ride.
Market is quite big in 4" both in a women's specific and a general frame - nearly every manufacturer has a model.
Do you plan to do big drops?
I have an Ironhorse 7.3 w/ double chain rings and Marzocchi forks which corners nicely. A touch heavy but as a shorty I need a manageable frame size more than the bells and whistles. Its a better bike than I am a DH rider anyhow :)
FYI - some stores have demo bikes you can try if you are keen. if you are after a specific model do a ring around and see if there is a demo you can try.

Anyhow, good luck finding a bike. :)

pink

Likes Bikes
Full Face Helmet, definitely....I got a Fox Rampage for a bargain from Torpedo7, there are heaps of choices out there, I went off measurements and was lucky the fit was good fit (I'm size small by the looks) and for $110 it was worth the risk but from what people say it is best to try some on.
I also wear knee/ shins (Race Face FR) however it's possibly not a bad thing to have a set of knee only for the warmer weather (like TLD T-Bones, POC, or even the 661 D30).
Elbow / Arm gurads, I picked up a set cheap Fox ones off this forum and they do the job well.....but if you're pretty searious about getting into DH and likely to go faster than I do then maybe look at body armour instead, I probably would have gone that way if I was going to progress, but that didn't happen. For starting out elbow gurads at least are a good idea and maybe wearing you Camelbak for a bit of extra back protection.....I know it's not meant for that but it would help.
Gloves, they're a basic thing but invaluable, both with still having good grip when your hands are sweaty but also hugely protective when you fall off because most of the times your hands are the first thing to hit the ground.

Goggles, most people wear them and I think they're a good idea, you don't want a branch in your eye, I wear glasses anyway so I never did try goggles.

You should talk to Bec on the HTF forum, she's recently got into downhill and rides an Iron Horse Sunday. Her user name is escher
http://www.hucktoflat.com/htf/smf/

Thanks so much for the info! Good tip with the Camelback, would never have thought of that. :)

Sounds more like a light all mountain bike.
Generally it will cope but it depend son (a) where you ride and (b) how you ride.
Market is quite big in 4" both in a women's specific and a general frame - nearly every manufacturer has a model.
Do you plan to do big drops?
I have an Ironhorse 7.3 w/ double chain rings and Marzocchi forks which corners nicely. A touch heavy but as a shorty I need a manageable frame size more than the bells and whistles. Its a better bike than I am a DH rider anyhow :)
FYI - some stores have demo bikes you can try if you are keen. if you are after a specific model do a ring around and see if there is a demo you can try.

Anyhow, good luck finding a bike. :)
Cheers, I've gone into my local shop in fitzroy and picked up a Pivot Mach 4. So I'm pretty happy, hitting up Mt Beauty next week. :)

tracywhittaker

Likes Bikes
Hey Girls,

Heading out tonight for some DH push runs in Montrose area.
PM me if your intersted in catching up.
Will be starting at 6pm.

Trace