downhill in horsham

downhill_4_life

Likes Bikes
hey guys
im heading to horsham over the long weekend with my bike and i was wondering if there were any downhill tracks or dirt jumps around the place.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I go out there climbing a far bit and the werd on the street is there are a couple of runs on Mt. Arapiles.
From what i hear and knowing the land you'd want some body armour and full face.

I don't know where they are yet but i've been asking around.

If you find out anything please post it up.

czecharch

Likes Dirt
Actually, to be a bit more helpful, Horsham is about as flat as you could imagine.
Mount Arapiles (about 30-45 mins drive)is a huge rock outcrop and is the only thing around there that has any elevation. There are walking tracks around there that access various crags and go up to the summit.
It has been years since I've climbed there, but I would be reasonably certain that taking a downhill bike there would be the surest way to piss off the locals and Parks Vic as I believe they now control it. I believe there to be some tracks on the backside, but don't think they would be 'interesting' enough for you.
I'm happy to be corrected on this.
Your other option is the Grampians. It's probably about an hour away(from recollection) It's not controlled by Parks and may give you many options. Mount Zero (on the Western Highway)has some interesting terrain. Imagine something like slickrock in moab but with more features (ie crevices etc). I had always thought that it would be intersting to ride a bike there, but was always too afraid of death. :D

Probably not all that helpful but -shrug-