Downhill maintenance

Chaus

Squid
Hey lads,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but we'll see how I go.

I just bought a Norco A-Line a few weeks back and it's a sweet bike. I was thinking of getting a full-service from Spearman's Cycles in Wollongong just to run over it.
But it starts at $200 for the full service
+ $100 for front fork service
+ $40 for rear shock service
+ $10 for gear cable changes

So i'm looking at $350 minimum for this crap and that's not including any stuff they "need" to replace.

So my question is: what would your personal opinion be in the path i should take for this servicing?
I was thinking of maybe just getting the front and rear shocks checked out for starters, but I didn't know what other maintenance I could do myself that they would charge me an arm and a leg for.

Any help or tips would be awesome. Or if anyone can point me to a site that could assist in maintenance shit, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Puppet Master

Likes Dirt
Are those prices including seals on the forks and shock? If so, then that's good value if the service is any good. $10 for cable is cheap too.

What are they doing on the full service? $200 seems a lot, but if they're stripping it, cleaning an regreasing then it's not bad at all.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can drive 30min, go up the Phantom Cycles in Tahmoor. Quiet often are much cheaper and good work too.

Chaus

Squid
thanks for all the help!

Yeah the $200 is for a full strip, then the shock stuff is extra. I asked on the phone and she said the fork service includes new seals.

Is getting it serviced recommended for a once a year thing? If so, I may as well go ahead with the full package and it should tide me over for a while.

Just need to read up on general maintenance stuff that I could do myself

willsy01

Eats Squid
Gotta pay to play dude....neglecting anything now will cost you a bunch more down the track......so to speak.

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
Hey lads,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but we'll see how I go.

I just bought a Norco A-Line a few weeks back and it's a sweet bike. I was thinking of getting a full-service from Spearman's Cycles in Wollongong just to run over it.
But it starts at $200 for the full service
+ $100 for front fork service
+ $40 for rear shock service
+ $10 for gear cable changes

So i'm looking at $350 minimum for this crap and that's not including any stuff they "need" to replace.

So my question is: what would your personal opinion be in the path i should take for this servicing?
I was thinking of maybe just getting the front and rear shocks checked out for starters, but I didn't know what other maintenance I could do myself that they would charge me an arm and a leg for.

Any help or tips would be awesome. Or if anyone can point me to a site that could assist in maintenance shit, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
If you bought the Norco 2nd hand, then yes $200 seems legit, but if you bought it brand spankers new from the shop then no, as most shops that I'm aware of on a new bike do a quick re-tune and re-tension after a couple of weeks for nothing, unless you completely destroy something on your bike then they would charge for the replacement parts.

just my 2 cents worth.....

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
If you bought the Norco 2nd hand, then yes $200 seems legit, but if you bought it brand spankers new from the shop then no, as most shops that I'm aware of on a new bike do a quick re-tune and re-tension after a couple of weeks for nothing, unless you completely destroy something on your bike then they would charge for the replacement parts.

just my 2 cents worth.....
P.S.

If the shocks are new, really why would you need them serviced so soon?????
but if bike and suspension is 2nd hand, then fair enough, spend the money to lube & get new seals:thumb:

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're unsure of how to do things yourself then definitely go with getting the shop to do it. Sure it's a bit more expensive but it'll be done right rather than trying something you have no clue about like with the suspension and ending up breaking it.

Once you've had it serviced this first time though then start trying to learn how to maintain things yourself as it'll mean less expenses for you in the future, plus if there's any problems in the middle of a ride you'll know how to fix them yourself rather than having to cut the ride short. Start off with small things like derailleur tuning and move up from there.

There are great articles on pinkbike called "Tech Tuesday" with a range of different tech tips plus there are a lot of good tutorials on youtube as well.

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
I realise that "seems" alot but I've paid the same for a full service and slightly more for the suspension. However the shop/guys that did the work are truly legit and never once would I doubt their skills.

Chaus

Squid
Yeah it's second hand, and that was my thoughts exactly. Get it checked over from the start and have some piece of mind nothing is screwed on it before I start thrashing it.

Thanks everyone for the help, I'll book her in and see how we go!

Culley

Likes Dirt
price sounds half decent
i decided to get my fox 40s full service at TBSM and go a $160 bill
i didnt have the time to do it the service
learn how to do it your self
saves you money and is very handy to know

grimrepa

Likes Bikes
I agree that the services are getting quite expensive, some bikeshops would charge me more than my car costs. You can learn a lot from youtube, I just set-up the iPad and do most things myself. If you are not this way inclined I think you could find a friend and pay them a lt less (or beers if they are over 18).

Not trying to send any shops broke but You have to look out for number one.

Almost forgot you can also buy parts that are easier to maintain, I love Shimano Brakes for that reason