downhill pedals

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never tried 5050's but never been a fan either.

I like my DMR V12 Mag's,
Bilt Flatty II's I don't mind, they're a great value sealed bearing low profile type pedal but I still like my DMR's better.
I really like pedals which have the axle going right to the end.

If I was to get something new and lower profile I reckon I'd try the new Answer pedals. (Rove FR)

I do like the idea of Straitlines, bearings never need greasing etc etc and along the same lines you have the Burgtec Penthouse Flat MkIII......oh and I like the look of Twenty6, definitely those if you want Pimp and Pricey. But nah I'd definitely go for the Anwers I reckon, simple clean looking and some nice features.

There is no best pedal because at least some of the decision falls down to personal preference in weight / look / features etc etc

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you want the best for the money, get a set of atomlab G.I.'s (General Issue) they run on sealed DU bushings so you never have any problems with bearings, am grip like nothing else if you have 5.10's.

(also nick we need you to come on the reedy and co rides)
Not sure if the GI's have the same setup as there other pedals, but from what ive seen they get bearing/bush play very easily.

If your after something a bit different.. ive had a set of Ciari bmx platforms and they have been nothing short of perfect.
Very tough bearings, not one bit of play, good large platform, through thread pins.. and ive belted these things on rocks for the last 2 years. A little heavy compared to the lightweight offerings starting to come out but i would say bulletproof!

http://www.ciariparts.com/Pedals/tabid/587/Default.aspx

falconr

Squid
I got some Jetblacks about 6 months ago after breaking the last ones. They seem strong, the pins are easy to replace (although not needed to) and plenty of grip. Not too pricy either.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont get why people want there pedal/ shoe combo to be grippy? If you want your feet to stay on go clipless, i run flats on tracks that require frequent dabbing or are very technical, if i run flats i want my feet to come of farily easy.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont get why people want there pedal/ shoe combo to be grippy? If you want your feet to stay on go clipless, i run flats on tracks that require frequent dabbing or are very technical, if i run flats i want my feet to come of farily easy.
I'm not game enough to have tried it much but I'd say people doing jumps and drops etc would want grippy pedals, I had a reasonable slip once doing a pretty small jump (the wellgos that came on my STP actually) which was when I understood how grip could be pretty important. I guess some people are just lucky that the pedals / shoes they've had seemed to have always worked well for them. Yes maximum grip seems to be the focus of conversation but I think the main objective is not slipping when you don't want to.

muzza111

Likes Bikes
i dont get why people want there pedal/ shoe combo to be grippy? QUOTE]

i think this picture sums up the situation nicely. Me at Lithgow state champs.

hasn't happened since i got myself some 510's and Straightline pedals

jmeers

Likes Dirt
I have the twenty6 rallye pedals best i've had.... but then again i would like some of there new pre runners pedals

binner

Hath shat hymself
something different

ok, so I like to go against the grain and try new things....After years of Azonic A frames and then BiLT flatty 2's ...both of which I must admit are great pedals with a nice large platform and super smooth sealed bearings I went with these...........
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AX01-BLACK-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efca98870

Wow, 6061 alu, cro mo axles super smooth bearings good size pins (replaceable) light and bloody thin. Ohhh and fuggin cheap!!!
They don't offer a large platform, one thing I notice is that riding DH in just normal flat skate shoes you lose a little grip but whack on any stealth compound riding shoe and they stick like shit to a blanket!!. I was skeptical at first but after casing a few jumps and landing to flat on a pretty big gap jump they didnt break/crack/bend or even squeal with fright, unlike my nutsac that day...:(

For the money and the weight saving I am sold on them for now. Lets see how they are after whistler this year but for now I'm a convert.

Hope this was an informative post and you think about those smaller less known brands....don't get talked into big brands and massive amounts of coin........;)

binner

Regan

Eats Squid
Kona Wah Wah! Best pedal I've ever used. Cheapish, smooth bearings that last with no play, thin profile, pins thread through from the back, tough.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know if the Sunline V-Two pedals are any good?
ive got v ones and they are great, so i would think the v two is fine, just the bearings not as good.

the spikes and machining on the pedal makes it a bit thicker than some others out there. on mine i have cleanly smashed a few off.

grippy as hell too by the way.