Downhill Ride/Shuttle day dynamics

bootsandall

Likes Dirt
So I have signed up for a ride/shuttle day coming up at Stromlo, which will be my first time doing shuttles. While I have ridden the trails it has been limited and only a few times as I am only getting started in DH but I'm a regular rider and prefer the harder more technically challenging trails when they are an option. I have ridden DH at Thredbo and that is what got me hooked. I then built up a DH rig last year which has only had a few outing due to work/family commitments, a few runs of Stromlo and a weekend at Thredbo.

So I figure the shuttle day is going to be different to the Thredbo experience where you just keep jumping on the lift back to the top. There is little or no bunching up of riders/groups that are heading down, well that has been my experience so far of the times I have ridden Thredbo.

So my main thing I would like to have a handle on is where to place myself in the stream of riders head off after the drop off at the trail head? Should I hang back and wait till the guns have headed off? But if I am to slow am I likely to be missing out on the lift back up? Cause that would suck!

My plan is to do a few slower runs to get to know the track better and adjust to the change in bike from my usual trail rig, so hanging back and letting the regular riders head on down. Or am I going to one of many doing this?

Or is looking to place myself somewhere in the middle and use it as a way to learn the speed of the track? I will also be doing it solo as the only other mate that has a DH bike and would be interested has a major project due the following week and He is already dirty that I am going.

I have read the etiquette guide which was very helpful but doesn’t cover the nature of the day, and how to get the most without getting in the way of others.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Don't stress man, the general unspoken rule is to let faster riders pass you. Just do your thing, keep some distance and have fun!

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never done a shuttle day at Stromlo but usually what I've found happens is that the fastest guys might beat you down for the first run shuttle back up the hill but you'll then be first in line for the next one while they'll still be on track from their last run. Assuming there's a good shuttle vehicle to rider ratio you should still clock plenty of runs though.

T-Rex

Template denier
Yeah, as others have said, I wouldn't try to get on every bus on every lap, you'll be buggered by lunchtime.

Riders generally find a pecking order pretty quickly in a group, and go fastest to slowest.

The best piece of advice I could give you is this: Find a rider who is a bit faster then you, and follow him/her, for as many laps as you can. You will learn a lot in a short space of time. And don't worry about not having your mate with you, these days are pretty social, you get to know people chatting on the bus and in the shuttle queue.

Last edited: