downhill rims Help

downhiller96

Likes Dirt
Im upgrading my Kona operator so it will be a lighter build . I was just wondering what rims i should get. I would like some heavy duty ones but light as well. Thanks

driftking

Wheel size expert
Heavy duty and light under 600bucks hmmm

What do you consider light?
823 tend to be pretty good for weight to strength, very strong and with the right hubs can be pretty decent.
It depends what you mean by light.

downhiller96

Likes Dirt
Heavy duty and light under 600bucks hmmm

What do you consider light?
823 tend to be pretty good for weight to strength, very strong and with the right hubs can be pretty decent.
It depends what you mean by light.

well the stock rims re pretty heavey and have had a dodgy paint job on them so just looking to get a fresh set. Lighter and still make the bike look better ;)

Doggy

Inconceivable!
I havent gone wrong with 823's yet, can be tubeless if you like as a bonus if that tickles your fancy. Im about as smooth as gang rape and they survive me

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
823 or AtomLab Pimp Light rear, and Stans Flow EX front if you want to replace more often.
I'd burn up both your current rims on rear first and get either of the 3 above for front.

driftking

Wheel size expert
What are the rims your currently using?
Are you going to go tubeless? If you get 823 go tubeless no question.

No Skid Marks

Pimp Lite Ghetto tubeless ways about the same as 823 tubeless.
Stans FlowEX tubeless way lighter, but way dentier too.

No Skid Marks

Why the hell would anyone get a pimplite then?
They're about as tough I found. Maybe burp a touch less too. Hold air better once flat spotted. All a bit speculative and there'd not be much in it. Easier to lace up.

DirtyDingo

Banned
Why don't you get a set of second hand Mavic DeeMax in good cond.?
Or
Mavic 823 with hope pro II hubs, at least at the rear

I also like the Azonic Outlaw, they're pretty cheap and very fuckin strong.
I'm gonna use them on my mojo

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
They're about as tough I found. Maybe burp a touch less too. Hold air better once flat spotted. All a bit speculative and there'd not be much in it. Easier to lace up.
Is that compared to running a tubeless tire on the 823 as well?
That's pretty impressive if a ghetto set up is more reliable than a legitimate UST rim and tire set up.

No Skid Marks

Yeah both tubeless. Atom lab is a taller rim(larger diameter), Mavic are quite short. and Ghetto tube makes Atom lab taller still, and rubber to rubber surface area is bigger, and bonds better with sealant.
As I said though, not much in it.
If I was the OP, and I was using my old spokes, I'd use whatever rim worked with them(they're one spoke length different from memory. I'd use up my old rims on rear first though.

downhiller96

Likes Dirt
cheers for the feed back guys. :)

i was having a look at some Nukeproof Generator DH front and back. whats the verdict on them?

DirtyDingo

Banned
Pimp Lite Ghetto tubeless ways about the same as 823 tubeless.
Stans FlowEX tubeless way lighter, but way dentier too.
cheers for the feed back guys. :)

i was having a look at some Nukeproof Generator DH front and back. whats the verdict on them?

I had the Nukeproof Generator, they are awesome, the hubs are spinning smooth and the
rims can take a lot of abuse, very strong, not too heavy and pretty cheap.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I will also say OP
A wheel is only as good as its build and how well its Maintained.
You can buy the strongest parts but if its not built or maintained it will break.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
The nukeproof generator rims are restickered sun rims. They're quite strong but dent easier then most. It really depends how your ride mate if you're smooth and run a decent pressure you can get away with sun rims, 721's or Flow's. If you're more agressive then 823/ Deemax/ Atmolab would be better.