Downhill training

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
i found this body weight routine:

20 body weight squats
10 push ups
20 walking lunges
10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
15 second plank
30 Jumping Jacks
and then repeat a few times.

but it doesen't explain when to rest/what days and such. you would still need days to rest your body even thought its body weight training I'm guessing?

so could i use that routine as a 2 day split routine? or should i split up the exercises into upper/lower body and do them different days?
hope i made sence.. haha still learning
Thanks!!

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
i found this body weight routine:

20 body weight squats
10 push ups
20 walking lunges
10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
15 second plank
30 Jumping Jacks

but it doesen't explain when to rest/what days and such. you would still need days to rest your body even thought its body weight training I'm guessing?

so could i use that routine as a 2 day split routine? or should i split up the exercises into upper/lower body and do them different days?
hope i made sence.. haha still learning
Thanks!!
Dont worry iv been learning and reading for a few years and im still learning a lot.
The routine looks like a basic fitness regimen like for people to just do some exercise in the day. If it was me id do the following

squats 1 x20 (warm up)
pistol squats 2x 10 each leg
lunges 2 x 10 each leg
Rear Leg Elevated Split Squat 2x 10 each leg
push ups 4 x 20
lying bar pull ups 3 x 15 (like a reverse bench press which i explained earlier)
chin up over grip 3 x 15
chin up over grip 3 x 15
dips 3 x 20
rows 3 x 15 with band either pull or push rows
dumbbell fly's 3x15 (with whatever weight or band)
bicep curls 3 x 15
hammer curls 3 x 15
overhand grip curls (works triceps more) 3x15
dead lift with sand bag or similar 3 x 10

plank 2x till failure I.e as long as you can with correct form.
side plank 2 x till failure both sides.

Add weight or resistance where necessary.

These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head not a complete routine, more a list of exercises, the reps are not specific to any goals. This is a incomplete example of what I personally would do when starting. I tried to add a balance of push and pull in there but it stills needs work. This is just a example though.

Again though I don't suggest you use the above, It is not personalized nor is it complete, if you do use it, then its up to you and that decision is at your own risk, this isn't me giving you a routine just a very basic example of exercises I put together quickly as a example for myself. If you do take what I have written and use it at your own risk You will need to adjust the reps and sets and weights according to your own goals and abilities and make sure again you have correct form.

basically from where you are I would do the following
1. Get a list of all exercises you can do and have the ability to do
2. workout your goals and develop your sets and reps and weight/resistance and rest periods (if any) to your personal needs
3. try to balance the workout well over push and pull exercises
4. workout if you need a split routine, if so split the routine appropriately
5. check again to make sure your routine is good and balanced and safe and you are happy with it.

The one you posted seems too easy and light, more like a generally minimal exercise for people who don't workout at all. a routine should be more detailed and involved IMO anyway.

In terms of resting yes anytime you push your body you need to rest it, body weight exercises shouldn't be easy, this is why I use unilateral, they double the load and also correct imbalances. time between sets will depend on goals. rest intervals would be good to google as well.
There should be enough body weight exercises for you do develop a 2 day split routine that will last 45min each session. Just takes time to get it together.

I do hope that these posts have given you some good insight though, i have done a good amount of research online. I do add disclaimers to cover myself just in case while it is a forum and obviously anything we take is at our own risk I like to make a solid statement to clarify it, Especially when it comes to medical or personalized situations. This is also why I wont give out a routine as I'm not qualified to do so.

I think right now you seem to be getting a hold on what you want to do, from here IMO the best thing to do is just get on google and hit the forums, medical stuff etc. I'm not going to lie it is a lot of research and reading but once you know what you need to know you will be able to design a routine and change it at will with very little effort. Sorry I cant give you a solid routine and say use this, but I don't think it would be safe for me to do so, everyone is very different and routines need to be personalized to each individual. if you want to cut out the middle work you could just hire a trainer for a few sessions to get a routine going. I find learning myself has been better though, it means I don't need to consult a trainer every time i need to change my workout.

DISCLAIMER : As always with my posts this is just my personal opinion and am in no way a professional in this area or qualified so all information in my post is just my own opinion and personal information and anything that you do decide to use from my post is at your own risk. :)

Last edited:

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
Dont worry iv been learning and reading for a few years and im still learning a lot.
The routine looks like a basic fitness regimen like for people to just do some exercise in the day. If it was me id do the following

squats 1 x20 (warm up)
pistol squats 2x 10 each leg
lunges 2 x 10 each leg
push ups 4 x 20
lying bar pull ups 3 x 15 (like a reverse bench press which i explained earlier)
chin up over grip 3 x 15
chin up over grip 3 x 15
dips 3 x 20
rows 3 x 15 with band either pull or push rows
dumbbell fly's 3x15 (with whatever weight or band)
bicep curls 3 x 15
hammer curls 3 x 15
overhand grip curls (works triceps more) 3x15
dead lift with sand bag or similar 3 x 10

plank 2x till failure I.e as long as you can with correct form.
side plank 2 x till failure both sides.

Add weight or resistance where necessary.

These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head not a complete routine, the reps are not specific to any goals. This is a incomplete example of what I personally would do when starting. I tried to add a balance of push and pull in there but it stills needs work. This is just a example though.

Again though I don't suggest you use the above, if you want to use it, then its up to you and at your own risk, this isn't me giving you a routine just a example of what I put together quickly as a example routine for myself. If you do take what I have written and use it at your own risk You will need to adjust the reps and sets and weights according to your own goals and abilities and make sure again you have correct form.

basically from where you are I would do the following
1. Get a list of all exercises you can do and have the ability to do
2. workout your goals and develop your sets and reps and weight/resistance (if any) to your personal needs
3. try to balance the workout well over push and pull exercises
4. workout if you need a split routine, if so split the routine appropriately
5. check again to make sure your routine is good and balanced and safe and you are happy with it.

The one you posted seems too easy and light, more like a generally minimal exercise for people who don't workout at all. a routine should be more detailed and involved IMO anyway.

In terms of resting yes anytime you push your body you need to rest it, body weight exercises shouldn't be easy, this is why I use unilateral, they double the load and also correct imbalances. time between sets will depend on goals. rest intervals would be good to google as well.
There should be enough body weight exercises for you do develop a 2 day split routine that will last 45min each session. Just takes time to get it together.

I do hope that these posts have given you some good insight though. I do add disclaimers to cover myself just in case while it is a forum and obviously anything we take is at our own risk I like to make a solid statement to clarify it especially when it comes to medical or personalized situations like this. This is also why I wont give out a routine as Im not qualified to do so.

I think right now you seem to be getting a hold on what you want to do, from here IMO the best thing to do is just get on google and hit the forums, medical stuff etc. I'm not going to lie it is a lot of research and reading but once you know what you need to know you will be able to design a routine and change it at will with very little effort. Sorry I cant give you a solid routine and say use this, but I don't think it would be safe for me to do so, everyone is very different and routines need to be personalized to each individual. if you want to cut out the middle work you could just hire a trainer for a few sessions to get a routine going. I find learning myself has been better though, it means I don't need to consult a trainer every time i need to change my workout.

DISCLAIMER : As always with my posts this is just my personal opinion and am in no way a professional in this area or qualified so all information in my post is just my own opinion and personal information and anything that you do decide to use from my post is at your own risk. :)
thanks again driftking, muchly appreciated.

yeah, i just tried that workout then. really easy.. haha. i will give that a routine a go and see how i go, thanks! with the sets/reps should i do a set, then rest, then do another set. Or do a set, then different exercise, the back to the other set? and will it be okay if i do that routine in one day and have a 2 day split?
thanks heaps :madgrin:

driftking

Wheel size expert
thanks again driftking, muchly appreciated.

yeah, i just tried that workout then. really easy.. haha. i will give that a routine a go and see how i go, thanks! with the sets/reps should i do a set, then rest, then do another set. Or do a set, then different exercise, the back to the other set? and will it be okay if i do that routine in one day and have a 2 day split?
thanks heaps :madgrin:
Just remember if you do decide to use that workout it is at your own risk.
I really wouldn't suggest you use what I posted as it is very unfinished and more a list of exercises and not a routine.
I added the set x reps as a example of what most routine would look like compared to the one you posted.
Personally I suggest you follow my steps 1-5 and develop a better and more refined routine for yourself.

you are referring to super sets when you do sets back to back without rest, when we train we can either do one exercise and rest in between each set or we can do one set than do another set on another exercise. This does cut down workout time as you cut down the resting. Personally if i do that style my second exercise will be something completely separate from my first one as to let the first muscle rest during the second workout. Then obviously go back to the first one and than second one until all sets are complete.
Than have a rest and super set between the next two other exercises. you can do it that way if you want.

Not sure what you means by do that routine in one day and have a 2 days split?

Again though I really would create your own routine, the one I posted is really not focused at anything and very under finished.

Last edited:

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
Just remember if you do decide to use that workout it is at your own risk.
I really wouldn't suggest you use what I posted as it is very unfinished and more a list of exercises and not a routine.
I added the set x reps as a example of what most routine would look like compared to the one you posted.
Personally I suggest you follow my steps 1-5 and develop a better and more refined routine for yourself.

you are referring to super sets when you do sets back to back without rest, when we train we can either do one exercise and rest in between each set or we can do one set than do another set on another exercise. This does cut down workout time as you cut down the resting. Personally if i do that style my second exercise will be something completely separate from my first one as to let the first muscle rest during the second workout. Then obviously go back to the first one and than second one until all sets are complete.
Than have a rest and super set between the next two other exercises. you can do it that way if you want.

Not sure what you means by do that routine in one day and have a 2 days split?

Again though I really would create your own routine, the one I posted is really not focused at anything and very under finished.
ohh okay. how could i refine those exercises into a routine? just follow your 1-5 steps?
with the 2 day split thing, i mean should i have a rest day in between each workout.
thanks!

driftking

Wheel size expert
ohh okay. how could i refine those exercises into a routine? just follow your 1-5 steps?
with the 2 day split thing, i mean should i have a rest day in between each workout.
thanks!
Yeah just follow my steps as you follow them you will see the routine coming together.

You will be spending a little bit of time googling and reading about different exercises and reps and rests etc. But it is worth it.
I know you probably want me to just give you a workout lol but I won't sorry.

I am assuming you mean by workout you mean once you complete the split? ie once you complete day one and two. you are asking do you then take a day off before starting the 2 days again or do you go straight back into the cycle of 2 days again..

If you use a two day split I would have a rest day between. if you use a 3 day split you can probably go straight back into it.

On a 3 days routine you obvious workout day 1 then those muscles are resting for day 2 and 3 so by time you get back to working them again they have had 2 days of rest. For me if I do a 3 day split I will workout say (monday,Tuesdays,wednesday) (thursday,friday,saturday) ie just straight back into it and then have sunday off and then start again on monday. 2 day splits I will take a day in between for an extra day of rest.

Just to add for number two of the list by goals I mean is it, muscle size, strength, endurance, power, you are looking for. once you work it out google it and you basically be given a certain number of sets and reps that generate these results and it will give you a percentage of weight to use as well. That way you will be able to work out your reps and sets easily. Some goals require weights that we cant achieve with body weight alone so you might be limited to what goal you choose to improve at the moment.

Last edited:

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
Yeah just follow my steps as you follow them you will see the routine coming together.

You will be spending a little bit of time googling and reading about different exercises and reps and rests etc. But it is worth it.
I know you probably want me to just give you a workout lol but I won't sorry.

I am assuming you mean by workout you mean once you complete the split? ie once you complete day one and two. you are asking do you then take a day off before starting the 2 days again or do you go straight back into the cycle of 2 days again..

If you use a two day split I would have a rest day between. if you use a 3 day split you can probably go straight back into it.

On a 3 days routine you obvious workout day 1 then those muscles are resting for day 2 and 3 so by time you get back to working them again they have had 2 days of rest. For me if I do a 3 day split I will workout say (monday,Tuesdays,wednesday) (thursday,friday,saturday) ie just straight back into it and then have sunday off and then start again on monday. 2 day splits I will take a day in between for an extra day of rest.

so could i do (as an example) your routine you said, on monday, tuesday, then rest wednesday, then do it again thursday friday and rest saturday and sunday? (sorry for all the questions)
thanks

driftking

Wheel size expert
so could i do (as an example) your routine you said, on monday, tuesday, then rest wednesday, then do it again thursday friday and rest saturday and sunday? (sorry for all the questions)
thanks
Again that wasn't a routine haha
I still encourage you to take the time to research and follow the 5 steps and get a actual routine going that is personal to you.

If you get a routine and want to workout on monday, tuesday, then rest wednesday, then do it again thursday friday and rest saturday and sunday I cant see that been a issue at all. I have done that before with a 2 days split.
You mentioned you think you might lean towards a ecto-mesomorph so it will probably work well. Ecto's like myself tend to take a little longer to recover so a little more rest is a good thing.

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
Again that wasn't a routine haha
I still encourage you to take the time to research and follow the 5 steps and get a actual routine going that is personal to you.

If you get a routine and want to workout on monday, tuesday, then rest wednesday, then do it again thursday friday and rest saturday and sunday I cant see that been a issue at all. I have done that before with a 2 days split.
You mentioned you think you might lean towards a ecto-mesomorph so it will probably work well. Ecto's like myself tend to take a little longer to recover so a little more rest is a good thing.

Oh yeah. Ill remember that now :) yeah im slowly getting a routine together :) but ill still research and google things.
Thanks again, youve been a huge help

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have learnt a lot reading this thread.
i have a quick question.
i Dislocated my shoulder in december last year. i have slowly let it rebuild its self, but there is still a massive weakness there.
I was doing the bench at school, and my right (good) arm was going along fine, but my bad shoulder wouldnt work for me, it was like it couldnt handle much weight at all,
what can i do about this,? work it back up to strength or go about on a routine (still trying to find one) and do the same stuff that i used to before i crashed bad.
What sort of exercises would i use to help it out, and try get it back to its previous strength with?
cheers

driftking

Wheel size expert
i have a quick question.
i Dislocated my shoulder in december last year. i have slowly let it rebuild its self, but there is still a massive weakness there.
I was doing the bench at school, and my right (good) arm was going along fine, but my bad shoulder wouldnt work for me, it was like it couldnt handle much weight at all,
what can i do about this,? work it back up to strength or go about on a routine (still trying to find one) and do the same stuff that i used to before i crashed bad.
What sort of exercises would i use to help it out, and try get it back to its previous strength with?
cheers
Go see a physio
Starting to working out can be dangerous and even damaging for a healthy individual if they go about it wrong, this is why iv been pushing in my above posts for people to create there own routines and why I put so much emphasis on safety and 100% correct form and why knowledge is so important. Ideally we should all see a trainer or Qualified personal to get proper routines and who can teach us correct form.
Although in my own personal opinion with the right knowledge and enough research and a good organized well developed and slow progression routine most healthy individual's can, with enough knowledge and willingness to learn pass on getting a trainer to help them, but they do need to take a lot of responsibility on themselves to do everything right.

But adding a injury into the mix is something you shouldn't really gamble with. Id shy away from any heavy lifting and go see a physio to get you on a good rehabilitation routine. Physios can be expensive but so can long term injuries if they are not taken care of.

DISCLAIMER : My post is just my personal opinion and am in no way a professional in this area or qualified so all information in my post is just my own opinion and personal information and anything that you do decide to use from my post is at your own risk.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
If you think core stability is a waste of time than you obviously dont even know what it is.Any dickhead can have a six pack but it aint the underlying foundation for a solid body.Ignore your core stability at your our peril ,FOOL.(insert Mr T accent).
While i do enjoy getting posts like this.... what exactly is your expertise and qualifications? If you would like to have a discussion about mine there's an open offer, if your willing to come to the University I do my research and teaching at.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?246702-Core-Stability-a-neuroscience-approach

driftking

Wheel size expert
While i do enjoy getting posts like this.... what exactly is your expertise and qualifications? If you would like to have a discussion about mine there's an open offer, if your willing to come to the University I do my research and teaching at.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?246702-Core-Stability-a-neuroscience-approach
I know this post wasn't directed at me but just wanted to say if there is anything In this thread that I have have not gotten correct let me know or feel free to correct anything that may be misguided.

T-Rex

Template denier
i have a quick question.
cheers
+ 1 for going and seeing a physio, as stated by Driftking.

T-Rex has scientific evidence that physios work: Several months ago I binned it in a AM race, came down on my right side, right shoulder stuffed. Went to the family physio, who inflicted lots of pain on me, but more importantly gave me some very specific exercises to rebuild the strength in my right shoulder.

A month later, I bin it playing tennis (Fu*k%$g dangerous game that, stick to MTB boys and girls), this time I come down on the left side, same injury. But this time I can't be arsed going to the family physio. Guess what? Weeks later, it still hurts to put a jacket on, or reach around to grab something in the back seat of a car.

So go and see a physio.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I know this post wasn't directed at me but just wanted to say if there is anything In this thread that I have have not gotten correct let me know or feel free to correct anything that may be misguided.
Naw, i haven't posted in here simply because I think your recommendations are pretty spot on and I'd only be repeating what is already been advised.

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
I've come up with a bit of a routine..

warm up
pistol squats 2 x 5 each leg
lunges 2 x 10 each leg
push ups 3 x 10
lying bar pull ups 2 x 15
dips 2 x 20

30 sec rest

side plank
pull rows 3 x 15
dumbbell fly's 3x10
bicep curls 2 x 15
side plank
hammer curls 3 x 15
plank

and do this routine (but mix it up each time) on monday, tuesday, rest wednesday, then do it again thursday and friday, then rest saturday and sunday.
will this be okay..? or am i going the completely wrong way with this?
thanks!

Wolfgang D

Likes Dirt
sorry to crash your thread Bryce,
I've been following the thread and really enjoyed the read.
my question is, ive just got to the point in riding where ive gone from "woo! i made it through/down that section" to "how can i do that faster/better/less braking?".

don't want to sound cocky, but for me strength and fitness doesnt really need to be improved but my skill does. It was touched on earlier on, ie. come into sections slower but conciously without braking and build it up, but what are some other techniques to get faster and overall better. how can i improve my control, braking, entry and exit speed, and overall guts to go faster?

cheers

Timbot

Likes Dirt
Many places to learn

My expertise is just my experience in life n stuff n shit but wow its impresive that you teach at a uni.Do you need to study for that?.

driftking

Wheel size expert
sorry to crash your thread Bryce,
I've been following the thread and really enjoyed the read.
my question is, ive just got to the point in riding where ive gone from "woo! i made it through/down that section" to "how can i do that faster/better/less braking?".

don't want to sound cocky, but for me strength and fitness doesnt really need to be improved but my skill does. It was touched on earlier on, ie. come into sections slower but conciously without braking and build it up, but what are some other techniques to get faster and overall better. how can i improve my control, braking, entry and exit speed, and overall guts to go faster?

cheers
First up unless you are as fit as a WC rider you can always improve :)
In terms of fitness what do you do that is Riding specific?
Fitness and riding fitness is very different. Fitness is not just strength or how tired you get you need to have power and speed. You want to increase your body's ability to react fast and powerful to situations. Consider split stance and more riding specific workouts to help improve the bodies ability on the bike. Also focus on unilateral training to improve imbalances.
If your fitness is 100% than the only way to go faster is to do less that slows you down. Make sure the fitness or strength tou have is been used effectively, ie so do you have the proper technique, will chaning your body position allow for faster corning...focus on braking, try not to brake at all. Braking style brake mostly on the front this reduces skid but also breaking with the front reduces stopping distance significantly, this means more time going fast.
Line choice and how you ride the line. Id this the best line choice, you want to go fast in a section but tou want to also think of the next section. The fastest line might make you go into tr next section with no speed. Where a slightly slower line say 0.5sec might mean the section is faster by 1sec, need to think about overall speed not just section speed. Now how you ride the line can you jump hop double triple or pump a section.
Revisit bike set up if you are getting faster you might need to stiffen up your suspension. Re evaluate your settings they can make a huge difference.

Last edited: