NT Downhilling in Alice Springs!

boze74

Likes Bikes
G'Day

Just a quick note to anyone that might be in (or heading to) Alice Springs with the desire to check out some downhills! We've got a small but fairly dedicated crew currently building a bunch of short trails at various locations around the town.

If this thread interests you then feel free to PM me for more information!

Cheers

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Would be good if you posted up some happy snaps ... bit of riding action, bit of trail building antics, pics of the trail features ... some google maps and general "hows your father" about your trails.

I'd be interested in what the scene is like in the red centre ... when do you ride, how frig'n hot must it get ... etc etc etc.

Sorry for not PM'ing ... just thought it would be a good thread to have:cool:

cheers
Al

Cypher

Likes Dirt
My partner is up there for a short stint and I had the chance to ride around...during the heatwave.

My advice is - don't visit the desert in the height of summer. My goodness it was hot. Not a single day was under 40 degrees! Luckily this sort of weather doesn't last for long. The evenings are rather cool - lack of humidity means that as soon as the sun gets low the heat dissapates quite quickly. Sun exposure is not an issue as you ride really early or rather late.

But that is only in the summer. Winter, apparently, is quite nice

Alice Springs breath takingly beautiful. And there are heaps of trails. It is worth the visit. If you are not riding the DH tracks you can get away with a hard tail, but a XC dual sus is nice.

There are a lot of mega bindis - supersized bindis that get into everything. Down your socks and into the waist band of your pants. The thorns are sharp and you can't ignore them. People ride around with those green gardener's over sock/shoe thingys.

Take a puncture repair kit - you'll be doing this a lot. There are plenty of thorns and broken glass around town. You can go tubeless but this only staves off the pain for a bit longer. In my 5 days I saw 3 tubeless tubes get punctures. They do a sort of tubeless tube thingy now (a tubeless tyre with a gooey tube).

Take a GPS also. If you are not a local it is easy to get lost. Once you are over the hill, you can't see the town anymore - who knows where you are at? I got so turned around I couldn't figure it out.

The Rough Riders club is awesomely social. They pull a big crowd for social rides on wednesdays and weekends - even on the hottest days there were over 10 people for a ride! Try to hook up with them.

boze74

Likes Bikes
Cypher did a pretty good job of summing it all up! Way too hot to ride in summer exept for early morning and late afternoon! Fortunately the winter (and most of the rest of the year) makes up for it and you can ride pretty much constantly! There is an amazing trail network for the XC boys (not signposted though so getting lost is a danger) all around town but not so much for downhill.

Check out www.shiftyfilthcamel.com for a bunch of photos and a few videos of the DH scene. The site started mostly because I was bored but then got to talking with the Central Australian Rough Riders and we're trying to get a bit more happening DH wise in the centre!

Cypher if your partner is keen to ride (XC or DH) PM me and I'll give you the relevant contact details!

Boze

Cypher

Likes Dirt
;) Ha! He has already helped you with the shoveling. It's Richard with the transition hard tail.

Sigh. Because of you guys he is now thinking of buying yet another bike so he can ride DH. Oh well. I suppose he could have a worse vice.

boze74

Likes Bikes
Haha that's awesome! The online world is pretty small too obviously!

I'd love to help you out but I'm all for Richard buying a burlier bike so he can get amongst the downhillng more seriously!

hey guys i just wondering when ur rides are, i just moved up to alice but recently sold my bike to ongoing injurys, i have riding the karajong track and am really good mates with the guyes that built it
i am considering getting back into it after racing in victoria for several years and would like to meet more of the crew

boze74

Likes Bikes
Hey sauceman, we've been doing a lot of riding at the scout hall lately so you should come check that out! It's off larapinta drive and you can see the tracks fromthe road! There is usually someone up there most afternoons too so you'll run into us eventually. Check out www.shiftyfilthcamel.com for some of our pics and videos too.

PM me your number if you want and I'll call you when we have a session!

Cheers

Robthebiggerman

Cannon Fodder
Just got a DH bike, haven't ridden in nearly 10 years but want to get back into it, ill try and get out to the scout hall tracks this weekend see what damage i can cause :p
Its good to know you guys are active and there is actually a scene in town.